The Real Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Roland Burris Denied Entry Into Senate

5 posters

Go down

Roland Burris Denied Entry Into Senate Empty Roland Burris Denied Entry Into Senate

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:18 pm

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090106/ap_on_go_co/senate_burris

WASHINGTON – Roland Burris failed in his bid to take President-elect Barack Obama's Illinois Senate seat on Tuesday in a scripted piece of political theater staged just before the opening of the 111th Congress.

"My credentials were not in order, I will not be accepted, I will not be seated," Burris, 71, told a mob of reporters who had followed him across the street for a news conference in a cold and steady rain outside the Capitol.

The former Illinois attorney general said he was "not seeking to have any type of confrontation" over taking the seat that he was appointed to by embattled Gov. Rod Blagojevich. But Burris, who would be the Senate's only black member, also said he was considering a federal lawsuit to force Senate Democrats to seat him.

It was a major distraction for majority Democrats eager to project an image of progress with Obama on an economic stimulus package that could cost up to $1 trillion.

Democrats and Obama have said that the corruption charges against Blagojevich would strip credibility from anyone he appoints to the seat. Burris and many of his supporters have suggested that the real reason for the rejection involved race.

Blagojevich denies federal accusations that he tried to sell Obama's seat. Democrats, for their part, deny that race has anything to do with Burris' rejection and say that it's a reflection on Blagojevich.
What an embarrassing situation! Embarassed

I do agree with the Dems though denying him entry due to the Blago stuff, and that it's not racially motivated as Burris is suggesting.

I wonder what the status is of Princess Caroline in NY???
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male
Number of posts : 4852

http://www.whodeyrevolution.com

Back to top Go down

Roland Burris Denied Entry Into Senate Empty Re: Roland Burris Denied Entry Into Senate

Post  LTRT Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:39 pm

Cincy Fan 44 wrote:I wonder what the status is of Princess Caroline in NY???

Hey, don't sweat it, she's in like flint. Roland Burris Denied Entry Into Senate 14142
LTRT
LTRT
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3456

Back to top Go down

Roland Burris Denied Entry Into Senate Empty Re: Roland Burris Denied Entry Into Senate

Post  Scooby01_98 Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:38 pm

I'm not sure it would be a federal case but a state case for the lawsuit. The Illinois secretary of state has to sign off on the appointment per state law to certify the appointment. While the governor has signed the paperwork, the SOS has not, can't be racist since Illinois SOS is also black.
Scooby01_98
Scooby01_98
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male
Number of posts : 1642

http://www.nola.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:51 pm

If only he was from New York. I'm surprised at his attitude about this whole thing prior to the preemptive flight to DC. It seemed to me to be theatrics and that is as ingenuous as suggesting he was denied acceptance because of race.

I think it's more embarrassing for New York than it is for Illinois.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:46 am

I cant figure out why Burris would have aaccepted the nomination in the first place. Congress is performing rightly by refusing to seat him, in much the same way the Illinois SOS refused to sign the paperwork. While they may be on shaky ground legally, they are in the right place politically.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  floridafun Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:08 am

i think burris is mainly out for the press and theatrics...its just another "accomplishment" he can have engraved on his headstone for posterity. i dont doubt he may be a perfectly good candidate...but that wont be nearly as much an excitement-related issue next voting period as the fact of how he bucked the system "for the people and the state" for a popularity count. hell he lost his last few runs so he needs something for a last hurrah.
floridafun
floridafun
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Female
Number of posts : 2519

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:38 pm

pez wrote:I cant figure out why Burris would have aaccepted the nomination in the first place. Congress is performing rightly by refusing to seat him, in much the same way the Illinois SOS refused to sign the paperwork. While they may be on shaky ground legally, they are in the right place politically.

I heard an interview with him on NPR last week or two. He sounded like a total ass. I'm glad he got denied.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  LTRT Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:55 pm

Senate Democrats Plan To Accept Burris
Blagojevich's Senate Pick Meets With Reid, Durbin
http://cbs2chicago.com/politics/burris.senate.democrats.2.901914.html

WASHINGTON (CBS) ―
Senate Democrats plan to accept Roland Burris for President-elect Barack Obama's vacant seat.

Didn't deny him for that long. Rolling Eyes
LTRT
LTRT
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3456

Back to top Go down

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:00 pm

LTRT wrote:Senate Democrats Plan To Accept Burris
Blagojevich's Senate Pick Meets With Reid, Durbin
http://cbs2chicago.com/politics/burris.senate.democrats.2.901914.html

WASHINGTON (CBS) ―
Senate Democrats plan to accept Roland Burris for President-elect Barack Obama's vacant seat.

Didn't deny him for that long. Rolling Eyes
I would've hated to see what would've happened if they would have denied him 2 more times... Laughing
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male
Number of posts : 4852

http://www.whodeyrevolution.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:10 pm

Jugomugo wrote:
pez wrote:I cant figure out why Burris would have aaccepted the nomination in the first place. Congress is performing rightly by refusing to seat him, in much the same way the Illinois SOS refused to sign the paperwork. While they may be on shaky ground legally, they are in the right place politically.

I heard an interview with him on NPR last week or two. He sounded like a total ass. I'm glad he got denied.

I think he sounds like an ass too. However, he handled the denial at the swear in with a high level of drama and I think people for the most part don't want to deal with any more drama at this point given the current state of the union.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:58 pm

If the Daly Wing of the Illinois Democratic party truly have their chit together they will run a REALLY strong candidate in the 2010 Primary against this dude. That solves this problem.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Markwes Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:08 pm

http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/01/07/illinois.senate/index.html?eref=rss_politics&iref=polticker

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Senate Democrats have no choice but to change their tone about Roland Burris becoming a U.S. senator because Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich "called our bluff" in appointing someone over their objections, a senior Democratic congressional source conceded Wednesday.

Called their bluff eh? I can visualize the conversation now:

Senate: "We are not letting you in"
Burris: "Yes you are"
Senate: "Okay"
Markwes
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3096

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:26 pm

Markwes wrote:http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/01/07/illinois.senate/index.html?eref=rss_politics&iref=polticker

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Senate Democrats have no choice but to change their tone about Roland Burris becoming a U.S. senator because Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich "called our bluff" in appointing someone over their objections, a senior Democratic congressional source conceded Wednesday.

Called their bluff eh? I can visualize the conversation now:

Senate: "We are not letting you in"
Burris: "Yes you are"
Senate: "Okay"

This is how congress fails it's country. Like it failed in Iraq, like it failed on the economy... There needs to be a democrat that has the hutzpah to show real leadership and toss this clown out on his ass... Anyone who would accept an appointment from Blago is by definition unqualified to serve, especially in a time so crucial as now... these people are the U.S. Senate, they are telling us that they are outplayed by an obviously corrupt state official from the midwest?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:37 pm

I don't think there is any legal standing here for the Senate not to seat him but I agree with the sentiment. This is also like walking on glass because no state is going to give the Senate an opportunity not to seat their state's Senator if they choose, yet the circumstances here call for some serious review. At this point Blago has only been accused so it's really a State issue more than a federal issue and it doesn't look like Burris was part of any pay-for-play deal.

Markwes, the dialogue made me laugh but what choice do you think the Senate had? Unless you were just going for the chuckle.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  floridafun Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:50 pm

i say there was an internal agreement...dems to repubs....ok sigh....we will seat him if you will seat franken without drama. and anyone who doesnt prove himself to the voters next election...welll what will be will be.

i dont think the repubs will have a rebound from their splintered internal culture to have many serious contenders for another 8 years.
floridafun
floridafun
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Female
Number of posts : 2519

Back to top Go down

Post  Markwes Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:18 am

Vis wrote:Markwes, the dialogue made me laugh but what choice do you think the Senate had? Unless you were just going for the chuckle.
If they didn't have a choice they should have seated him from the beginning. It's kind of like if a cop arrested you for doing something that's not illegal and then released you when you "call their bluff". It doesn't make the initial arrest right. Same thing here, the Senate should always do what they are supposed to do, not just when they are challenged.
Markwes
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3096

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:27 am

Markwes wrote:
Vis wrote:Markwes, the dialogue made me laugh but what choice do you think the Senate had? Unless you were just going for the chuckle.
If they didn't have a choice they should have seated him from the beginning. It's kind of like if a cop arrested you for doing something that's not illegal and then released you when you "call their bluff". It doesn't make the initial arrest right. Same thing here, the Senate should always do what they are supposed to do, not just when they are challenged.

Um... maybe I'm making it too simple, but these people are standing around in a room for the purpose of making laws. If they dont have a legal standing to bar him, they should make one.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down