The Real Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chelsea Lashes Out At Butler Student

5 posters

Go down

Chelsea Lashes Out At Butler Student Empty Chelsea Lashes Out At Butler Student

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:38 am

INDIANAPOLIS — Chelsea Clinton had a quick retort Tuesday when asked during a question-and-answer session at Butler University whether her mother's credibility had been hurt during the Monica Lewinsky scandal. "Wow, you're the first person actually that's ever asked me that question in the, I don't know maybe, 70 college campuses I've now been to, and I do not think that is any of your business," Clinton said during a campaign visit for her mother, Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton. Clinton's answer was met with loud applause from the audience of about 200 people.
I say good for the student. If Chelsea is going to be pimping for her mommy, she better be prepared to get questions about this. I'm not saying it wasn't a good response by her, but she better realize she's going to get questions like this. If I was there, I'd probably ask her if she thought Bill would get another female intern, or if Bill would let Hillary get a male intern. Twisted Evil
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male
Number of posts : 4852

http://www.whodeyrevolution.com

Back to top Go down

Chelsea Lashes Out At Butler Student Empty Re: Chelsea Lashes Out At Butler Student

Post  Aggie Transplant Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:07 am

I say good for Chelsea. Great answer on short notice. If she is asked it again, she should be more prepared.

Aggie Transplant
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Female
Number of posts : 1124

Back to top Go down

Chelsea Lashes Out At Butler Student Empty Re: Chelsea Lashes Out At Butler Student

Post  Markwes Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:27 am

I can't say I was impressed by her answer, if you could call it that. The student just asked if she thinks the public's perception of her mother was hurt by it. 'None of your business' would apply if the student had asked if their marriage was affected by it, or something personal like that.
Markwes
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3096

Back to top Go down

Post  Aggie Transplant Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:54 pm

You have a point. But I think Chelsea gave a knee-jerk reaction to someone asking anything about the whole Lewinsky incident, rather than the specific question asked. She should have been more prepared for that type of question, but since she obviously wasn't, I say good for her for saying that her parents' marriage was nobody's business.

In the future, I imagine she'll give a better answer, or at least, listen to the question more closely.

Aggie Transplant
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Female
Number of posts : 1124

Back to top Go down

Post  Markwes Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:02 pm

The funny thing is, from what I read, the student was on one of the morning shows and said he is a big Hillary supporter. He asked the question because he thought it would give Chelsea the opportunity to 'set the record straight'.
Markwes
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:28 pm

I fond the comment to be somewhat irrelevant. At the same time I have to admire the nuance of the position that Chelsea is in. You cant imagine that the Bill Clinton years In the white house could not have been wonderful for her with the scandal... Now she is campaigning for her mother, and she knows what to expect if her mother wins... and she's being asked about her parents' marriage...
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:29 pm

lol.. perfect example of why you shouldn't let your kids campaign for you.... they aren't capable of giving good answers most of the time.

I think it's a legit question, and sorry if ugly doesn't like it, it's something that will be an issue if she gets the nomination. How can you run the country when you either ignored, or were oblivious to the infidelity of your husband? And it's not like it was the first time.....

Bad answer on Chelsea's part, you don't snap at people and tell them it's none of their business when you are trying to get the person in question elected to public office. Like it or not, today's politicians don't have a private life, so everything is public business. Hilary wants to show how great her family is by parading them around, they better be prepared to deal with the downside.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:30 pm

pez wrote:... and she's being asked about her parents' marriage...

I'm actually surprised that the Clinton machine didn't have her prepared for this type of question. Either that or they've always canvassed the crowd beforehand to make sure it wasn't asked.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Markwes Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:26 pm

pez wrote:I fond the comment to be somewhat irrelevant. At the same time I have to admire the nuance of the position that Chelsea is in. You cant imagine that the Bill Clinton years In the white house could not have been wonderful for her with the scandal... Now she is campaigning for her mother, and she knows what to expect if her mother wins... and she's being asked about her parents' marriage...
Irrelevent, yes. But also potentially damaging. When you have people voting for Hillary just because she is a woman, or Obama because he's articulate, I can easily see voters taking away from that story that since Chelsea didn't confirm that she has her credibility, then maybe she is weak.
Markwes
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:28 pm

I consider what her dad and her mom went through in the White House because of that ordeal to be a valid question that she should have to answer. This all went down in public, I don't think it should have but the republicans and Ken Starr wanted it played out in the press so now this albatross is out there and Chelsea and Hillary and Bill ought to have to answer these types of questions.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  LTRT Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:48 pm

Bman wrote:This all went down in public, I don't think it should have but the republicans and Ken Starr wanted it played out in the press so now this albatross is out there and Chelsea and Hillary and Bill ought to have to answer these types of questions.

So you believe it's OK for a sitting President to be getting 'special favors' from an intern in the White House? Shocked
LTRT
LTRT
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3456

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:46 pm

LTRT2 wrote:
Bman wrote:This all went down in public, I don't think it should have but the republicans and Ken Starr wanted it played out in the press so now this albatross is out there and Chelsea and Hillary and Bill ought to have to answer these types of questions.

So you believe it's OK for a sitting President to be getting 'special favors' from an intern in the White House? Shocked

Private life is private ... is he a pig for doing it to his wife hell yea, but should it have been a public story, hell no.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:42 am

Bman wrote:
LTRT2 wrote:

Private life is private ... is he a pig for doing it to his wife hell yea, but should it have been a public story, hell no.

I agree that it shouldn't have gotten out.. but I believe the issue is with Monica if that is your problem. And once it did get out, he lied about it. I'm sure 99.9% of people would lie in that situation as well, at least at first. But then he came on TV with the "I did not have sexual relations with that woman" line and that is what stirred up the storm.

Chelsea needs to learn that she's in the real world now and people ask imposing questions, for good reasons or not. The question was about Hillary's credibility, and ugly jumped all over it like as if the guy asked "So your dad appears to be sleeping with everyone but your mom, are you sure he's your real dad?" Again.. it's yet another example of the Clinton machine ignoring questions and getting upset when bad things are brought up about them.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Markwes Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:37 am

Has anyone seen the clip of her answering the question? There are students in the background with signs that say things like "Butler University loves Chelsea Clinton". Yeah, sure.
Markwes
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  LTRT Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:39 am

Markwes wrote:Has anyone seen the clip of her answering the question? There are students in the background with signs that say things like "Butler University loves Chelsea Clinton". Yeah, sure.

They probably got a free lunch for holding the signs. Very Happy
LTRT
LTRT
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3456

Back to top Go down

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:44 am

LTRT2 wrote:
Markwes wrote:Has anyone seen the clip of her answering the question? There are students in the background with signs that say things like "Butler University loves Chelsea Clinton". Yeah, sure.

At the very least, I hope they got that.
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male
Number of posts : 4852

http://www.whodeyrevolution.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:14 pm

Cincy Fan 44 wrote:
LTRT2 wrote:

At the very least, I hope they got that.

Did they have the plaid hats that came with the free lunch too? (caddyshack)
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  floridafun Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:09 am

this is a young woman in her late 20's, not a 15 year old people or the press should follow a decorum of protection toward. it happened a second time. this questioner specified his reason for asking was because at the time the monica scandal broke into the news hillary spent months screaming it was all a republican plot to make bill look bad. the questioner wanted to know how/whether this may have helped hillarys ability to recognize whats really going on instead of blaming the rebublicans for potential problem situations.
i think it is a valid question. i do not think its about trying to pry into a personal family situation, but is questioning hillarys ability to recognize and respond appropriately to accusations/incriminations. mr bill is the one whose behavior made it a public situation. i am among many who do feel his getting a bj from an employee while talking on the phone with an international dignitary is the publics business. nobody is blaming hillary far as i can see..other than her perfectly normal refusal to recognize, or perhaps her acceptance of red flags in her marriage. it was about how she responded--blaming the republicans for coming up with a conspiracy.
chelsea needs to come up with some standard answers other trying to make questioners look bad..because now there will probably be a bunch of people asking questions in the near future pertaining to touchy public issues of how her mother reacted to situations during the clinton administration. hillary has condoned it by calling her white house years part of her reason why she is ready from day one.
floridafun
floridafun
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Female
Number of posts : 2519

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:23 am

My guess is the Hillary machine will stroke the audience in the future to make sure this questions doesn't come up, and if it does they'll say it's a either a plant by the republicans or someone trying to get in the news. Whatever they can do to discredit without answering, it's their signature move.

I agree though.. Chelsea isn't a little kid, she's campaigning which means she's an adult, which means she needs to respond like one. I don't recall if the Bush twins had to field questions about daddy's drinking and partying, but my guess is that they were prepared, or at the least they simply declined to comment.

I think this raises a bigger question though.. how many people think she told Bill she'd stay with him but he WAS going to do everything she wanted in order for her to get elected to the white house?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  floridafun Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:26 am

when two biographies came out on her just before or right after she tossed her hat in the ring, her staff and her responded by saying ho hum same old stuff we all heard long ago..nothing new to comment on....none was argued about or actually disagreed with. and part of each was their plan for her to become president after his term ended.
floridafun
floridafun
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Female
Number of posts : 2519

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down