The Real Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Geithner approved

3 posters

Go down

Geithner approved Empty Geithner approved

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:56 pm

http://money.cnn.com/2009/01/26/news/geithner.senate.vote/index.htm?postversion=2009012616

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- Senate lawmakers voted Monday to confirm Tim Geithner as the next Treasury secretary amid ongoing uncertainty about the nation's economic future.

Geithner, who will spearhead President Obama's response to the financial crisis that threatens to unravel economic growth around the globe, won approval by a vote of 60 to 34.

Democrats on Capitol Hill had been pushing for a quick confirmation of Geithner, arguing that the threats facing the economy required immediate action.

Sen. Orrin Hatch, R-Utah, cited that rationale in a statement on the Senate floor Monday afternoon.

"I do not believe we have the luxury of leaving this nomination unfilled even another day," said Hatch, who was one of five Republicans to support Geithner's nomination last week when it came before the Senate Finance Committee. "You're not going to get a better person for this job."

Reid warned Friday that Republicans "would not be very wise politically" to try to hold up the nomination, which last week won the support of all the Democrats and half the Republicans on the finance committee. He added that Democrats could block any attempt to filibuster.

Despite Reid's comments, several Republican lawmakers made clear Monday that they had reservations about Geithner. Sens. Saxby Chambliss of Georgia, John Thune of South Dakota and James Inhofe of Oklahoma questioned Geithner's character in light of his failure to pay some taxes earlier this decade, and his handling of questions about those missteps.

"I don't believe he has been remotely forthcoming," said Inhofe.

Geithner will take over for Stuart A. Levey, the Under Secretary for terrorism and financial intelligence, who has been serving as acting Treasury Secretary since the Obama administration took office last week.

Politics as usual... Rolling Eyes
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male
Number of posts : 4852

http://www.whodeyrevolution.com

Back to top Go down

Geithner approved Empty Re: Geithner approved

Post  Guest Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:02 pm

Maybe you can write off daycare now!!! I would write off dvd/videos, books, hell write of the damn television... don't they all occupy your kids??? Just make some telemarketing calls while they are watching so you can establish earned income.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:44 pm

Vis wrote:Maybe you can write off daycare now!!! I would write off dvd/videos, books, hell write of the damn television... don't they all occupy your kids??? Just make some telemarketing calls while they are watching so you can establish earned income.
Well since you put it that way, I'm starting to like this pick! Very Happy
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:17 am

Hell people, staunch conservatives like Orin Hatch supported him. If he can turn this economic mess created by greedy republicans (there Mark, I did not use right wing) then more power to him.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  LTRT Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:21 am

Bman wrote:Hell people, staunch conservatives like Orin Hatch supported him. If he can turn this economic mess created by greedy republicans (there Mark, I did not use right wing) then more power to him.

Since when did Barney Frank become a republican. scratch Razz
LTRT
LTRT
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3456

Back to top Go down

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:30 am

Bman wrote:Hell people, staunch conservatives like Orin Hatch supported him. If he can turn this economic mess created by greedy republicans (there Mark, I did not use right wing) then more power to him.
And if he can't I'm sure he knows how to fudge the reports to make it look like the economy has turned the corner.
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Scooby01_98 Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:49 pm

Pretty amazing the only person in the whole USA to be qualified as treasury secretary is a tax cheat.....good example. While not thrilled with some of his other choices for secretaries as least they paid their taxes.
Scooby01_98
Scooby01_98
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male
Number of posts : 1642

http://www.nola.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:00 pm

I think there is a difference between supporting the choice and deferring to the President.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down