The Real Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Taxing you by the mile

3 posters

Go down

Taxing you by the mile Empty Taxing you by the mile

Post  LTRT Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:45 am

AP Interview: Transportation secretary says taxing how much we drive may replace gasoline tax
http://www.newsday.com/news/nationworld/wire/sns-ap-lahood-vehicle-mileage-tax,0,6754105,print.story

WASHINGTON (AP) — Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood says he wants to consider taxing motorists based on how many miles they drive rather than how much gasoline they burn — an idea that has angered drivers in some states where it has been proposed.

Gasoline taxes that for nearly half a century have paid for the federal share of highway and bridge construction can no longer be counted on to raise enough money to keep the nation's transportation system moving, LaHood said in an interview with The Associated Press.

"We should look at the vehicular miles program where people are actually clocked on the number of miles that they traveled," the former Illinois Republican lawmaker said.

"What I see this administration doing is this — thinking outside the box on how we fund our infrastructure in America," he said.

A blue-ribbon national transportation commission is expected to release a report next week recommending a VMT.

The system would require all cars and trucks be equipped with global satellite positioning technology, a transponder, a clock and other equipment to record how many miles a vehicle was driven, whether it was driven on highways or secondary roads, and even whether it was driven during peak traffic periods or off-peak hours.

The device would tally how much tax motorists owed depending upon their road use. Motorists would pay the amount owed when it was downloaded, probably at gas stations at first, but an alternative eventually would be needed.

The devices also could be programmed to charge higher rates to vehicles that are heavier, like trucks that put more stress on roadways, Atkinson said.

Copyright 2009 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

affraid
LTRT
LTRT
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3456

Back to top Go down

Taxing you by the mile Empty Re: Taxing you by the mile

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:04 pm

I guess it's either that or raise the gasoline tax to fill the coffers enough. If this was instituted, talk about a back-handed way of trying to get people to buy homes in the city (i.e. closer to where they work) to save money, car pool, take public transportation, etc.

I'm not in favor of it, but I guess it's one way of "making sausage" when it comes to the upkeep of our roadways. Wink
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male
Number of posts : 4852

http://www.whodeyrevolution.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:10 pm

This type of plan may also fortify incentives to drive lower mpg vehicles... shifting the costs from fuel to travel.

Why not just outsource all roads to private institutions... make everything toll based.

On the other hand, this could also be viewed as an infringement on freedom of movement.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:12 pm

Cincy Fan 44 wrote:I'm not in favor of it, but I guess it's one way of "making sausage" when it comes to the upkeep of our roadways. Wink

Man, there sure is a lot of talk about sausage lately!
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Markwes Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:13 pm

Cincy Fan 44 wrote:I guess it's either that or raise the gasoline tax to fill the coffers enough. If this was instituted, talk about a back-handed way of trying to get people to buy homes in the city (i.e. closer to where they work) to save money, car pool, take public transportation, etc.

I'm not in favor of it, but I guess it's one way of "making sausage" when it comes to the upkeep of our roadways. Wink
Okay, I'm starting to think you are on a personal crusade to compare everything to making sausage. Razz

Meta4 beat me to it! Smile
Markwes
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3096

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:19 pm

The day something like that passes, is the day I abandon cars altogether. I have serious issues with automotive black boxes to begin with, and something like this would actually cause me to change how I do things for sure.

I'd rather see a much higher gasoline tax. I don't have to drive much, so it wouldn't bother me.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:38 pm

meta4 wrote:
Cincy Fan 44 wrote:I'm not in favor of it, but I guess it's one way of "making sausage" when it comes to the upkeep of our roadways. Wink

Man, there sure is a lot of talk about sausage lately!
Sorry, butchering 4 hogs has a way of putting sausage on the brain for this city boy. Razz pig
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male
Number of posts : 4852

http://www.whodeyrevolution.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:57 pm

meta4 wrote:This type of plan may also fortify incentives to drive lower mpg vehicles... shifting the costs from fuel to travel.

On the other hand, this could also be viewed as an infringement on freedom of movement.

I could not be more proud.

It seems pretty regressive to me. I agree it encourages use of gas guzzling vehicles and penalizes those using high mpg vehicles. I think it also provides a peek into some of the reasons we are so slow to improve mpg standards or look into alternative/renewable fuels.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down