The Real Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Obama Cracks On Special Olympians

2 posters

Go down

Obama Cracks On Special Olympians Empty Obama Cracks On Special Olympians

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:53 pm

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/story?id=7129997&page=1

His controversial joke hadn't even aired yet when President Obama got on the phone from Air Force One Thursday night to apologize for comparing his notoriously bad bowling skills to the Special Olympics.

The president's late-night gaffe comes as he faces criticism over AIG."He expressed his disappointment and he apologized, I think, in a way that was very moving," Tim Shriver, the chairman of the Special Olympics board, told "Good Morning America" today.

"He expressed that he did not intend to humiliate this population, certainly didn't want to embarrass or give anybody any more reason for pain or just suffering, I would say," said Shriver, who received the call from Obama as the president was flying back to Washington.

"He was very sincere, expressed an interest and an openness in being more engaged in the movement, and said he was a fan of the movement and I think, importantly, he said he was ready to have some of our athletes over to the White House to bowl or play basketball or help him improve his score."

It began with the president joking about how bad a bowler he is.

Toward the end of his approximately 40-minute taping on the "The Tonight Show With Jay Leno," Obama talked about how he'd gotten better at bowling and had been practicing in the White House bowling alley.

"I bowled a 129," he told Leno.

"That's very good, Mr. President," Leno said sarcastically.

But then came the foot-in-mouth moment: "It's like the Special Olympics or something," the president said.

Shriver told "GMA" that these moments can worsen the stereotypes of people with special needs.

"I think it's important to see that words hurt, and words do matter -- and these words can, in some way, be seen as humiliating or [a] put-down to people with special needs," he said. "[They] do cause pain, and they do result in stereotypes, and they do result in behavior that's neglectful and almost [an] oppressive moment of people with special needs.

"This kind of language needs to be a teachable moment for our country, I think," he added. "I would hope every parent that's at home this morning watching this show could turn to their children and say, 'This is a chance for us to recognize that when we talk about Special Olympics, when we talk about people with special needs. Let's make sure we talk about it in an affirming way,'" he said.

Embarassed should've had the teleprompter!
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male
Number of posts : 4852

http://www.whodeyrevolution.com

Back to top Go down

Obama Cracks On Special Olympians Empty Re: Obama Cracks On Special Olympians

Post  iberlingirl Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:36 am

iberlingirl
iberlingirl
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Female
Number of posts : 1185

Back to top Go down

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:06 am

Thanks for that article Iber! I couldn't agree more. I once worked with a guy who has a daughter that has Down Syndrome. One of the nicest guys in the world you ever wanted to meet. Well, there was another guy who had an office near him who would use that term frequently if something wasn't going his way. I always felt bad for the one guy (he'd have to be deaf not to hear it), but I was just never in a position to set the other guy straight about his hurtful language. I don't know if it ever bothered the guy or not, but it certainly opened up my eyes a little bit more and made me think twice before I ever used that term.
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male
Number of posts : 4852

http://www.whodeyrevolution.com

Back to top Go down

Post  iberlingirl Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:15 pm

I have never really been fond of "these words" N-Word, Sp*c, Wet*, etc.... when I was in the Army, I had a friend who thought me something, that I still do to this day and have even seen my oldest do.
She was talking to someone who used the N-Word, she immediately stopped the conversation and said, I do not use that word ever and I do not ever want to hear it. It really shocked the guy, he came back later and said, I never out much thought into it, but you are right, I apologize and I will not use it again.

When I am talking to friends or strangers and hear that word, I immediately stop them and say what she said. 9 times out of 10, it works, if not just for the moment, it is startling enough, that it makes the person think. Same with my oldest, she has made friends leave b/c they have said words like that and have not stopped after she has said something to them about it.
iberlingirl
iberlingirl
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Female
Number of posts : 1185

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down