The Real Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another honest politician

3 posters

Go down

Another honest politician Empty Another honest politician

Post  Scooby01_98 Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:04 am

Rep. Charlie Rangel latest little fiasco. 4 rent controlled apartments from a political contributor. I thought we were suppose to be getting a more ethical congress their Nancy??? And this idiot is on the ways and means committee (i.e. tax committee).

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25629176/
Scooby01_98
Scooby01_98
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male
Number of posts : 1642

http://www.nola.com

Back to top Go down

Another honest politician Empty Re: Another honest politician

Post  LTRT Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:39 am

Rep. Charlie Rangel = clown
LTRT
LTRT
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3456

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:48 am

Anyone care to guess what would be said if this were a Republican?

I've heard this guy several times on TV, he's a pompous ass who knows very little of what he speaks for the most part. I hope this results in some sort of fine and him losing his seat in congress.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:55 am

cardinal5150 wrote:
I've heard this guy several times on TV, he's a pompous ass who knows very little of what he speaks for the most part. I hope this results in some sort of fine and him losing his seat in congress.

No argument there... take out the trash.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:59 am

I hope he does get voted out, he is pompous. Never have liked him, but obviously his constituency does. If he accrued these rent controlled apartments legally what is the beef? Now there might be a beef about him using one as a campaign office ... I would be curious in knowing how he came into having four rent controlled apartments.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Scooby01_98 Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:03 am

Bman wrote:I hope he does get voted out, he is pompous. Never have liked him, but obviously his constituency does. If he accrued these rent controlled apartments legally what is the beef? Now there might be a beef about him using one as a campaign office ... I would be curious in knowing how he came into having four rent controlled apartments.

Because the law says you're only suppose to be able to have one primary residence

"despite state and city regulations that require rent-stabilized apartments to be used as a primary residence"
Scooby01_98
Scooby01_98
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male
Number of posts : 1642

http://www.nola.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:07 am

he combined 3 of the 4 into one PRIMARY residence, seems like the issue is the campaign office. He should either give it up or retroactively pay back rent up to market rates for that one.... at minimum.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Markwes Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:15 am

paid a total rent of $3,894 monthly in 2007 for the four apartments

The current market-rate rent for similar apartments in the building would total $7,465 to $8,125 a month, according to the Web site of the owner, the Olnick Organization.

There is obviously something else going on besides just using one of the apartments for a campaign office. Someone's palm is getting greased here.
Markwes
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3096

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:32 am

Bman wrote:he combined 3 of the 4 into one PRIMARY residence, seems like the issue is the campaign office. He should either give it up or retroactively pay back rent up to market rates for that one.... at minimum.

From what it looks like they are still 3 separate apartments, not one. Regardless, I believe the issue is that he has 3 apartments that are all under rent control. If they were turned into 1 large apartment I believe he should be charged rent at the controlled price for 1 unit and market rate for the other 2.

It'd be no different than buying 3 lots for your house, you still owe taxes on all 3 regardless of if your house sits on 1 or all 3.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum