The Real Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Veep by text?

5 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Veep by text? Empty Veep by text?

Post  Guest Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:04 pm

So am I the only person who is embarrassed that a Presidential candidate is using txt'ing to get out his VP pick?

Tom on Bob and Tom made a good point this morning, you have both candidates trying to appear Presidential, then one of them decides to use txt'ing to announce something major, it's kind of counteractive to the idea of appearing Presidential.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Veep by text? Empty Re: Veep by text?

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:08 pm

I don't really have too big of an issue with it. It kind of appears to me he's just trying to utilize a medium that has never been used before to announce something like this.
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male
Number of posts : 4852

http://www.whodeyrevolution.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:24 pm

dude... it's not like his sitting in his office sending the texts himself. Hell, I have my servers send text to my phone all the time when there are outages etc.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:26 pm

Its brilliant.

Considering that BO is trying to portray JM as a bumbling old man who is out of touch. Who doesn't have a mom who is stymied by a cell phone or computers?

BO is trying to connect and portray a person who is in touch, on top of things and savvy.

Why not utilize the medium that is quickly becoming one of the most popular forms of conversation?

It makes those receiving this info first, and in such a personal manner it makes them feel connected even more.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Markwes Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:47 pm

It's kind of strange to me, but whatever trips your trigger. I guess he's not worried about hoaxes?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/politico/12704;_ylt=AuR2SxFBCtDQB7zmz.Pcjkdh24cA
Markwes
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3096

Back to top Go down

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:51 pm

Markwes wrote:It's kind of strange to me, but whatever trips your trigger. I guess he's not worried about hoaxes?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/politico/12704;_ylt=AuR2SxFBCtDQB7zmz.Pcjkdh24cA
I think if you get a text saying that Barry's running mate is Bman, something just might, I say might, be fishy.
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:44 pm

Considering I know MANY people under 40 (and some much older as well) who use text messaging nowadays, I think its a great way to spread information to your supports. Quicker than email or snail mail.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Markwes Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:11 pm

I guess I just don't understand the whole point of telling a certain few, which I'm assuming is what he's doing, as opposed to just having a press conference.
Markwes
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:29 pm

Markwes wrote:I guess I just don't understand the whole point of telling a certain few, which I'm assuming is what he's doing, as opposed to just having a press conference.

Mark, it is so those who support him and give financially to his campaign can know before the rest of the nation. Just being good to those of us who have given time, money and energy. I think it is a GREAT THANK YOU to his valued supporters. Can't believe some of you don't get this? He is still going to put on a great big show tomorrow for the world, and when the text message goes out about 3 minutes later it will be all over the news. So we get a 3 minute headstart ... I think it is great.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:08 pm

BUMPER STICKER GIVES IT AWAY?

KMBC's Micheal Mahoney reports a company in Kansas City, which specializes in political literature, has been printing Obama-Bayh material... MORE... Gill Studios, would not confirm information about the material. They would not deny it either. At least three sources close to the plant's operations reported the Obama-Bayh material was being produced...

Veep by text? Obys

Drudge Report...
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:14 pm

They also print up a shitload of Superbowl Winner shirts for the second place team.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:27 pm

I'll be shocked if it isn't Chet Edwards.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:10 pm

And he's building one heckuva database while he's at it too.
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Markwes Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:25 pm

Cincy Fan 44 wrote:And he's building one heckuva database while he's at it too.
I think that's exactly what he's doing! As I now understand, or at least think I do, you have to sign up for this text message. And just like that, a free list of phone #'s from people expressing interest in Obama. Very clever.
Markwes
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:24 pm

Going on record right now that it will be Evan Bayh...
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:37 pm

Possible but highly unlikely. It's Biden or Edwards... Bayh is/was a red herring and until the story broke about the bumper stickers etc... most gave him little chance
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:07 pm

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26336195/

NBC: Bayh, Kaine out of Obama’s veep race
Officials said text message on choice will go out Saturday mornin
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  LTRT Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:26 pm

Jugomugo wrote:http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26336195/

NBC: Bayh, Kaine out of Obama’s veep race
Officials said text message on choice will go out Saturday mornin

I didn't think Bayh was going to be the choice anyway, but then again that's my opinion and this is a message board so I just posted it. Very Happy
LTRT
LTRT
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3456

Back to top Go down

Post  floridafun Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:00 am

i am happy with biden, it was who i was hoping for. had considered bayh in the past but i just dont think he has personality or the personality strength to disagree with the bossman during discussions..obama doesnt want yes-man people surrounding him.
floridafun
floridafun
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Female
Number of posts : 2519

Back to top Go down

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:30 am

So was this a gaffe out of the Obama camp? Or a broken promise? Or just a mistake? They promise everyone who signed up for "the text" that they would get the exclusive first announcement before anybody else. Instead someone leaks it and they I guess felt compelled then to send out the text at the very alert hour of 3am.

If this would have have happened to McCain, you can bet your bottom dollar the Obama Thumpers would be all over him for it, saying how can we expect that guy to lead our country if he can't even get his shit straight in his own camp. True?
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:01 pm

I was watching the Olympics when there was a screw up on the feed. Mary Carillo was getting ready to do some story and a feed broke in that said Biden had accepted. Mary got a weird look on her face, apologized for technical difficulty and they went to commercial. I think it was just after 12:30 a.m. I got online and it was all over the place .
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  floridafun Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:52 pm

i didnt sign up for the text cincy...but did you maybe think there was an agreement upon request that you wouldnt tell anyone until all after all were notified? all the press people were getting it too..signed up just like anyone else. maybe you read somewhere obama promised nobody except his "little" text list would know until after they all received it? and how does it have any impact on anything if one of the first thousand who received it leaked the info? that makes it an obama gaff? LOL somethings a little weak about that!
floridafun
floridafun
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Female
Number of posts : 2519

Back to top Go down

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Sat Aug 23, 2008 2:06 pm

floridafun wrote:i didnt sign up for the text cincy...but did you maybe think there was an agreement upon request that you wouldnt tell anyone until all after all were notified? all the press people were getting it too..signed up just like anyone else. maybe you read somewhere obama promised nobody except his "little" text list would know until after they all received it? and how does it have any impact on anything if one of the first thousand who received it leaked the info? that makes it an obama gaff? LOL somethings a little weak about that!
Hey, the way Bman explained it is that those who signed up for it would get a 3 minute head start on everybody else as one GREAT BIG THANK YOU for all of the support they have given to Obama...and then the tables get turned on them. Plus, it was reported that there was a leak to the press BEFORE the text messages went out. Whoever leaked it is screwed, I would think. Or are you suggesting there was an elite group of Obama Thumpers that saw the text before the "official" text went out to everyone who signed up and gave their phone numbers out?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/veepstakes

**Interesting Paragraph From The Story**

The Obama campaign sent a text message announcing his choice to supporters' phones and e-mail addresses about 3 a.m. EDT, the latest innovation by a tech-savvy operation that has deftly used the Web as a fundraising and organizing tool. The rollout was diminished somewhat when word of Obama's choice began leaking out to news media shortly before 1 a.m. EDT.
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Sat Aug 23, 2008 2:26 pm

I wonder if Hillary was ready for the 3am text? Laughing
Cincy Fan 44