The Real Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Unfair Tax

4 posters

Go down

Unfair Tax Empty Unfair Tax

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:51 pm

Went to China Express on Coliseum for lunch today. I hate the fact they charge 8% tax if I pay with CASH, but 12% (for the same order mind you) if I pay with a Debit/Credit Card.

Stuff like this makes me want to wrap bacon around my legs and walk next to a pit bull! Evil or Very Mad
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male
Number of posts : 4852

http://www.whodeyrevolution.com

Back to top Go down

Unfair Tax Empty Re: Unfair Tax

Post  Canuck Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:06 pm

Let's just put some ham in your pockets and down your pant legs, then set you free in the lion's den.. Razz
Canuck
Canuck
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male
Number of posts : 1717

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:19 pm

Cincy Fan 44 wrote:Went to China Express on Coliseum for lunch today. I hate the fact they charge 8% tax if I pay with CASH, but 12% (for the same order mind you) if I pay with a Debit/Credit Card.

Stuff like this makes me want to wrap bacon around my legs and walk next to a pit bull! Evil or Very Mad

Report them... AFAIK, that is against their agreement with just about any credit card company. The same is true with "$5 minimu for credit card purchases."

I hate this kind of thing... There's a clear connection between accepting cards and increased sales. They want something for nothing. If they want to run a cash only business, they should do so. It seems also that if they raised their prices by a couple percent they would more than make up for the shortfall (from both cash and credit), and I doubt they would alienate as many customers.

I'm pretty sure that the Indiana Department of revenue might have something to say about them calling it "tax" also. It's been a while, but I think they only entities allowed to collect tax is the state and the fed...
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:28 pm

Thanks Pez. I just might go back tomorrow and pay with a debit card and compare the receipts. Today was the first time in a month that I've been there (and I could swear the last time I was charged 12%), so maybe they straightened up since then. I'd hate to file a report only to find out I'm crying wolf.
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Canuck Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:45 pm

I am not sure on this, however I think businesses pay a fee for credit card transactions to the card company.
Could be they are trying to recover that fee if that is true?
Either way it is not right.

Cincy, just don't be "the boy who cried cat " lol!
Canuck
Canuck
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:49 pm

That's an interesting example..

If they are charging a 12% "tax" and have it listed as such, that means they have to pay the 12% tax to the State of Indiana and if they don't, they'll go to jail for tax evasion.

If they are marking up their price they owe the full 8% tax on the markup price to the state of Indiana, and again, if they aren't paying it, they'll go to jail for tax evasion.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:30 pm

http://consumerist.com/ This website is your friend. They've been discussing this subject as of late.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:15 pm

Well, I went back to China Express today and ordered the exact same thing as I did yesterday and this time I paid with a credit card instead of cash, and whattayaknow, my bill was $.23 more. I made sure I looked all over the drive thru sign to see if there was any mention of there being an increase in charges for using a credit card, and there was not.

Paying via Cash...$5.15 + $.40 tax = $5.55 (roughly taxed 0.0776699 %)

Paying via credit card...$5.15 + $.63 'tax' = $5.78 (roughly 'taxed' 0.12233 %)

I'm thinking of calling the Indiana Department of Revenue. Anybody else got a better one?
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  IrishGuy Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:00 pm

Cincy Fan 44 wrote:Well, I went back to China Express today and ordered the exact same thing as I did yesterday and this time I paid with a credit card instead of cash, and whattayaknow, my bill was $.23 more. I made sure I looked all over the drive thru sign to see if there was any mention of there being an increase in charges for using a credit card, and there was not.

I'm thinking of calling the Indiana Department of Revenue. Anybody else got a better one?

First, go inisde with both receipts and ask what's with the different tax rates. Get their side of the story before jumping to the department of revenue.
IrishGuy
IrishGuy
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male
Number of posts : 1511

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:22 am

I'd go to the IDR.. but I enjoy busting people for illegal tax practices.. Smile
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Markwes Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:40 am

IrishGuy wrote:
Cincy Fan 44 wrote:Well, I went back to China Express today and ordered the exact same thing as I did yesterday and this time I paid with a credit card instead of cash, and whattayaknow, my bill was $.23 more. I made sure I looked all over the drive thru sign to see if there was any mention of there being an increase in charges for using a credit card, and there was not.

First, go inisde with both receipts and ask what's with the different tax rates. Get their side of the story before jumping to the department of revenue.
Make copies first and bring your cousin Guido with you.
Markwes
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3096

Back to top Go down

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:44 am

The thing about going in and confronting them about it (even with cousin Guido, lol) is that the next time I order food there, I risk a little "extra something" in my orange chicken, no?
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:36 am

They're probably just act confused since they have a limited knowledge of the english language... or at least that's what they pretend.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Canuck Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:01 pm

You're probably already getting "extra nutrients" in your take out... lol! Razz

Leave cousin Guido at home, take Giuseppe instead.
Canuck
Canuck
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum: