The Real Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Barney Smith anger toward Republicans misplaced?

3 posters

Go down

Barney Smith anger toward Republicans misplaced? Empty Barney Smith anger toward Republicans misplaced?

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Sun Oct 19, 2008 2:57 pm

Has anybody else seen Barney Smith on the air complaining about how his job at the RCA Picture Tube Plant in Marion was shipped overseas because of Republicans? Sure makes you think John McCain personally signed off on the deal.

I went back and read an article about the plant closing http://www.jobbankusa.com/News/Layoffs/layoffs31704a.html

Seems to me that NAFTA (signed by Wm. Jefferson Clinton), the economy, and new TV making technology (big screen HDTVs) were more of the reasons his job was eliminated (not shipped overseas). I mean, how many picture tube TVs are even sold here in the United States? I don't think there's a demand for them as much as there used to be. Kind of like if someone is complaining that their typewriter-making job was shipped overseas/eliminated. Well guess what, it's an old technology that's not in demand anymore.

Now, what is the Marion mayor doing to promote getting more jobs into his/her community? What are the county commissioners doing to get more jobs there? What is the state senator doing? What are the state reps doing?
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male
Number of posts : 4852

http://www.whodeyrevolution.com

Back to top Go down

Barney Smith anger toward Republicans misplaced? Empty Re: Barney Smith anger toward Republicans misplaced?

Post  Guest Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:15 pm

Except he doesn't complain about how Republicans sent his job overseas. He complains that McCain voted to give tax breaks to companies that sent jobs overseas. Big difference.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Barney Smith anger toward Republicans misplaced? Empty Re: Barney Smith anger toward Republicans misplaced?

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:37 pm

So here's a question upon further review...

Is "RCA" really even an American company? According to wiki, they were bought in 1987 by the French company Thomson Multimedia (now Thomson SA). Yes, they have a few main offices in the US, but they are headquarted near Paris. scratch
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:35 pm

Cincy Fan 44 wrote:So here's a question upon further review...

Is "RCA" really even an American company? According to wiki, they were bought in 1987 by the French company Thomson Multimedia (now Thomson SA). Yes, they have a few main offices in the US, but they are headquarted near Paris. scratch

Is there something wrong with the French? RCA is an American brand. If it's manufactured here under that brand name and sold here under the same name, I can definitely see how it would be perceived as an American company.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:34 am

meta4 wrote:

Is there something wrong with the French? RCA is an American brand. If it's manufactured here under that brand name and sold here under the same name, I can definitely see how it would be perceived as an American company.
Just owned by a foreign company...and no, there's nothing wrong with the French. They have excellent fries. Very Happy
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:48 am

Cincy Fan 44 wrote:
meta4 wrote:

Just owned by a foreign company...and no, there's nothing wrong with the French. They have excellent fries. Very Happy

But you understand where I'm going with my comment? It really doesn't matter whether the company is foreign owned. Hell, any publicly traded company may at least partially foreign owned. What matters is the brand, where it's made, and where it's sold.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Canuck Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:56 am

Cincy Fan 44 wrote:

Those are not french fries any more for you guys, they are Freedom Fries... Rolling Eyes Razz

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2003/03/11/politics/main543555.shtml

(AP) House cafeterias will be serving fries with a side order of patriotism Tuesday with a decision by GOP lawmakers to replace the "French" cuisine with "freedom fries."

"This action today is a small but symbolic effort to show the strong displeasure of many on Capitol Hill with the actions of our so-called ally, France," said Rep. Bob Ney, R-Ohio, chairman of the House Administration Committee.

Ney, whose panel oversees House operations, ordered the House Administrative officer to change the menus in House office building cafeterias to read "freedom fries" and "freedom toast."
Canuck
Canuck
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male
Number of posts : 1717

Back to top Go down

Post  Scooby01_98 Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:03 am

meta4 wrote:
Cincy Fan 44 wrote:
meta4 wrote:

But you understand where I'm going with my comment? It really doesn't matter whether the company is foreign owned. Hell, any publicly traded company may at least partially foreign owned. What matters is the brand, where it's made, and where it's sold.

If you're going by the brand then RCA should have died long ago and should not be resuccitated. I used to own a RCA TV many years ago, when I moved up in TV's it didn't even hang around as a second tv. Crappy picture and reliablilty.
Scooby01_98
Scooby01_98
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male
Number of posts : 1642

http://www.nola.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down