The Real Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Melamine found in baby formula made by US companies

3 posters

Go down

Melamine found in baby formula made by US companies Empty Melamine found in baby formula made by US companies

Post  Canuck Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:05 pm

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/11/26/AR2008112600386.html?hpid=sec-health

Public health groups, consumer advocates and members of Congress blasted the Food and Drug Administration yesterday for failing to act after discovering trace amounts of the industrial chemical melamine in baby formula sold in the United States.

"This FDA, this Bush administration, instead of protecting the public health, is protecting industry," said Rep. Rosa DeLauro (D-Conn.), who chairs the Appropriations subcommittee that oversees the FDA budget. In an interview, DeLauro said she wants the agency to disclose its findings and to develop a plan to remove melamine from formula. "We're talking about babies, about the most vulnerable. This really makes me angry."

The FDA found melamine and cyanuric acid, a related chemical, in samples of baby formula made by major U.S. manufacturers. Melamine can cause kidney and bladder stones and, in worst cases, kidney failure and death. If melamine and cyanuric acid combine, they can form round yellow crystals that can also damage kidneys and destroy renal function.

Melamine was found in Good Start Supreme Infant Formula With Iron made by Nestle, and cyanuric acid was detected in Enfamil Lipil With Iron infant formula powder made by Mead Johnson. A spokesman for Nestle did not respond to repeated calls and e-mails for comment yesterday.
Canuck
Canuck
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male
Number of posts : 1717

Back to top Go down

Melamine found in baby formula made by US companies Empty Re: Melamine found in baby formula made by US companies

Post  floridafun Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:42 pm

i have been reading about it for months being found in china. wondered why it was taking so long to find it was here too! and i have a baby granddaughter being born in december. hmmmm at least my daughter never uses the formula reinforced with iron..seems all affected are with the added iron. wish i could convince the daughter to use milk with kayro and the liquid baby vitamins!
floridafun
floridafun
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Female
Number of posts : 2519

Back to top Go down

Melamine found in baby formula made by US companies Empty Re: Melamine found in baby formula made by US companies

Post  MichaelK Sat Nov 29, 2008 4:30 pm

They didn't do much of anything when it was killing the pets, so it's not surprising that they still haven't done anything before it started affecting our children.
MichaelK
MichaelK
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Male
Number of posts : 73

http://iminurfortkillingurdudes.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down