The Real Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Post Office may cut one day of delivery

+2
LTRT
Cincy Fan 44
6 posters

Go down

Post Office may cut one day of delivery Empty Post Office may cut one day of delivery

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:02 pm

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090128/ap_on_go_ot/meltdown_post_office

WASHINGTON – Massive deficits could force the post office to cut out one day of mail delivery, the postmaster general told Congress on Wednesday, in asking lawmakers to lift the requirement that the agency deliver mail six days a week. If the change happens, that doesn't necessarily mean an end to Saturday mail delivery. Previous post office studies have looked at the possibility of skipping some other day when mail flow is light, such as Tuesday.

Faced with dwindling mail volume and rising costs, the post office was $2.8 billion in the red last year. "If current trends continue, we could experience a net loss of $6 billion or more this fiscal year," Potter said in testimony for a Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs subcommittee.
I'd be alright with cutting it one day out of the week...preferably Saturday. If/when we leave for the weekend, I don't like the thought of my Saturday mail just sitting in my road-side mailbox for anybody to come by and take (even though it is -- or should be -- a federal crime worthy of Gitmo incarceration IMHO to steal someone's mail).
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male
Number of posts : 4852

http://www.whodeyrevolution.com

Back to top Go down

Post Office may cut one day of delivery Empty Re: Post Office may cut one day of delivery

Post  LTRT Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:21 pm

I think we talked about this some time ago, but it wouldn't bother me a bit. I only check my mail about 4 days of the week anyway, we have a keyed postal multi-unit box on my street.
LTRT
LTRT
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3456

Back to top Go down

Post Office may cut one day of delivery Empty Re: Post Office may cut one day of delivery

Post  Guest Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:24 pm

LTRT wrote:I think we talked about this some time ago, but it wouldn't bother me a bit. I only check my mail about 4 days of the week anyway, we have a keyed postal multi-unit box on my street.

Same here ... sometimes I check it maybe once a week. I am sure the postman gets pissed at me.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  LTRT Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:25 pm

Bman wrote:
LTRT wrote:I think we talked about this some time ago, but it wouldn't bother me a bit. I only check my mail about 4 days of the week anyway, we have a keyed postal multi-unit box on my street.

Same here ... sometimes I check it maybe once a week. I am sure the postman gets pissed at me.

affraid do you a little garden shovel to scoop all that junk mail out? rabbit
LTRT
LTRT
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3456

Back to top Go down

Post  floridafun Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:37 pm

wouldnt bother me if they cut a day out. i vote for monday instead of saturday just to be different pirat
floridafun
floridafun
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Female
Number of posts : 2519

Back to top Go down

Post  Scooby01_98 Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:23 am

I vote middle of the week Tuesday or Wednesday. The report I saw Tuesday is the lightest day for mail.
Scooby01_98
Scooby01_98
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male
Number of posts : 1642

http://www.nola.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:56 am

It wouldnt bother me either... IMHO, it would be about time for the post office to do this... Saturday mail is pointless... even if we are home over the weekend it still sits in the box until monday...
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  IrishGuy Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:59 am

I too wouldn't mind one mail day going away. I would prefer Wednesday. The news this morning said it would most likely be Saturday or Tuesday.
IrishGuy
IrishGuy
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male
Number of posts : 1511

Back to top Go down

Post  Markwes Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:50 am

Here's a question. How often have any of you had to go to the post office recently? I bet I went through all of 2008 without ever having to go to one. You can get stamps at any store these days. The reason I ask is instead of cutting a day of delivery, how about just closing some offices down? I don't know how many offices Fort Wayne has but if I have a need to go to one it won't kill me to go a couple extra miles if they close one down.
Markwes
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3096

Back to top Go down

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:56 am

Markwes wrote:Here's a question. How often have any of you had to go to the post office recently? I bet I went through all of 2008 without ever having to go to one. You can get stamps at any store these days. The reason I ask is instead of cutting a day of delivery, how about just closing some offices down? I don't know how many offices Fort Wayne has but if I have a need to go to one it won't kill me to go a couple extra miles if they close one down.
I think there is a federal law that says every zip code in America must have a Post Office... scratch
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  IrishGuy Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:29 pm

Markwes wrote:Here's a question. How often have any of you had to go to the post office recently? I bet I went through all of 2008 without ever having to go to one. You can get stamps at any store these days. The reason I ask is instead of cutting a day of delivery, how about just closing some offices down? I don't know how many offices Fort Wayne has but if I have a need to go to one it won't kill me to go a couple extra miles if they close one down.

I went once, becuase I had to pick up a certified letter or something. Other than that one time, I coldn't tell you. I get stamps at Kroger or Sam's Club and if I need to mail a package I go to Pak-Mail or UPS Store. Also, a large part of the reason is there isn't a post office on the NW side of town, where I work.
IrishGuy
IrishGuy
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male
Number of posts : 1511

Back to top Go down

Post  Scooby01_98 Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:29 pm

I just think ending Saturday service would be hard for the people that have a M-F day job. Saturday is the only day they maybe able to make it to the post office to get things done that they need to do.
Scooby01_98
Scooby01_98
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male
Number of posts : 1642

http://www.nola.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Markwes Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:41 pm

Scooby01_98 wrote:I just think ending Saturday service would be hard for the people that have a M-F day job. Saturday is the only day they maybe able to make it to the post office to get things done that they need to do.
As was mentioned earlier, they are talking about either Saturday or Tuesday. I would think the mail carriers would be pushing for Saturday or Monday. That would kind of stink to work Saturday, get Sunday off, work Monday, then get Tuesday off.
Markwes
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3096

Back to top Go down

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:27 pm

Markwes wrote:
Scooby01_98 wrote:I just think ending Saturday service would be hard for the people that have a M-F day job. Saturday is the only day they maybe able to make it to the post office to get things done that they need to do.
As was mentioned earlier, they are talking about either Saturday or Tuesday. I would think the mail carriers would be pushing for Saturday or Monday. That would kind of stink to work Saturday, get Sunday off, work Monday, then get Tuesday off.
Glad you put the "off" where ya' did! Laughing
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:47 pm

Aren't they just talking about ending Saturday delivery or will all PO's close that day?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  floridafun Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:20 pm

since its a fed institution i think all of them will have the same day off.

wonder how many employees will lose their job as a result?

of topic but i was informed lincoln is cutting its workforce by 10%
floridafun
floridafun
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Female
Number of posts : 2519

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down