The Real Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

buh-bye michael steele...

5 posters

Go down

buh-bye michael steele... Empty buh-bye michael steele...

Post  floridafun Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:26 pm

http://men.style.com/gq/blogs/gqeditors/2009/03/the-reconstruct.html

How much of your pro-life stance, for you, is informed not just by your Catholic faith but by the fact that you were adopted?
Oh, a lot. Absolutely. I see the power of life in that—I mean, and the power of choice! The thing to keep in mind about it… Uh, you know, I think as a country we get off on these misguided conversations that throw around terms that really misrepresent truth.
Explain that.
The choice issue cuts two ways. You can choose life, or you can choose abortion. You know, my mother chose life. So, you know, I think the power of the argument of choice boils down to stating a case for one or the other.
Are you saying you think women have the right to choose abortion?
Yeah. I mean, again, I think that’s an individual choice.
You do?
Yeah. Absolutely.
Are you saying you don’t want to overturn Roe v. Wade?
I think Roe v. Wade—as a legal matter, Roe v. Wade was a wrongly decided matter.
Okay, but if you overturn Roe v. Wade, how do women have the choice you just said they should have?
The states should make that choice. That’s what the choice is. The individual choice rests in the states. Let them decide.
Do pro-choicers have a place in the Republican Party?
Absolutely!
How so?
You know, Lee Atwater said it best: We are a big-tent party. We recognize that there are views that may be divergent on some issues, but our goal is to correspond, or try to respond, to some core values and principles that we can agree on.
Do you think you’re more welcoming to pro-choice people than Democrats are to pro-lifers?
Now that’s a good question. I would say we are. Because the Democrats wouldn’t allow a pro-lifer to speak at their convention. We’ve had many a pro-choicer speak at ours—long before Rudy Giuliani. So yeah, that’s something I’ve been trying to get our party to appreciate. It’s not just in our words but in our actions, we’ve been a party that’s much more embracing. Even when we have missed the boat on, uh, minority issues, the Bush administration did an enormous amount to advance the individual opportunities for minorities in our country. In housing. In education. In health care.
floridafun
floridafun
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Female
Number of posts : 2519

Back to top Go down

buh-bye michael steele... Empty Re: buh-bye michael steele...

Post  Scooby01_98 Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:20 pm

Actually I think Michael Steel will be around for a while. Believe it or not; but not all republicans are pro life, just like not all dems are pro choice.

I actually think he will do a good job at getting more people to look at the republican party, that normally wouldn't have looked at all.
Scooby01_98
Scooby01_98
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male
Number of posts : 1642

http://www.nola.com

Back to top Go down

Post  floridafun Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:22 am

i think it will be the icing on the cake..the excuse they will use to remove him. they want him out of the job they gave him weeks ago. and frankly i dont blame them. he hasnt bothered filling ANY of the positions opened by his housecleaning, or maybe he has tried and nobody is willing to work alongside of him? just as bad but would certainly spread the blame... i think he got way too caught up in a media ego trip and hasnt done the actual work of putting the house in some sembelance of order.

i had hopes he could get them a bit more organized and find some focal points whether most republicans agreed with what he did or not..but doing nothing but showboating and criticizing his own party just isnt gonna cut it. it seems like his is out to promo himself personally in all the press he has gotten. i dont think the repubs will be able to rebuild themselves in the next 4 years, but i do hope they come out a stronger party with a realistic platform eventually.

i know not all repubs are anti-choice..alot of repubs are also not anti alot of things the repub party has focused on in the last 3 election cycles..but the partys only chance and rebuilding successfully is for alot of those folks to begin expressing themselves rather than go with the karl rove hate-filled anger filled righteous swift-boat-your-way-to-office flow.
floridafun
floridafun
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Female

Back to top Go down

Post  floridafun Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:54 am

wow that didnt take long pig

UPDATE: Michael Steele has clarified his position on abortion in a statement:

"I am pro-life, always have been, always will be. I tried to present why I am pro life while recognizing that my mother had a 'choice' before deciding to put me up for adoption. I thank her every day for supporting life. The strength of the pro life movement lies in choosing life and sharing the wisdom of that choice with those who face difficult circumstances. They did that for my mother and I am here today because they did. In my view Roe vs. Wade was wrongly decided and should be repealed. I realize that there are good people in our party who disagree with me on this issue. But the Republican Party is and will continue to be the party of life. I support our platform and its call for a Human Life Amendment. It is important that we stand up for the defenseless and that we continue to work to change the hearts and minds of our fellow countrymen so that we can welcome all children and protect them under the law."
floridafun
floridafun
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Female

Back to top Go down

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:30 am

I still don't know why a lot of Democrats are so Pro-Baby Murder because it's basically their future base that is being killed off...you know, the poor, the downtrodden, etc...heck, at that point, maybe the Repubs should welcome this if they ever have a chance at reclaiming a majority in the House and Senate!
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male
Number of posts : 4852

http://www.whodeyrevolution.com

Back to top Go down

Post  floridafun Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:05 am

Cincy Fan 44 wrote:I still don't know why a lot of Democrats are so Pro-Baby Murder because it's basically their future base that is being killed off...you know, the poor, the downtrodden, etc...heck, at that point, maybe the Repubs should welcome this if they ever have a chance at reclaiming a majority in the House and Senate!

i am not for baby murder. a baby is a developed human being to me, not a little blob of tissue that would eventually under the right conditions develop into a person. i dont consider a zygote to be a baby. simple difference of opinion. i happen to agree with earlier christian teachings about the "breath of life". but then i dont see how anyone who is so excited about preventing abortion thinks its ok to use birth control which KILLS the opportunity for the human body to do what it does naturally...soley for selfish convenience, or to use any artificial means to cause impregnation.

but i am for improved opportunities for those post-born many among the downtrodden who would use better opportunities to improve their options in life. i am not surprised you have such an ala carte selective christian view tho, passionately battling for lumps of tissue rather than battling for walking talking people. glad you feel so good about that, we should all feel good about the causes we support!
floridafun
floridafun
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Female

Back to top Go down

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:15 am

Yup, I do feel very good about myself for speaking up for those that don't have a voice...namely the unborn! Why is it so hard, if there is such a debate on 'when' life begins, to error on the side of life?
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male
Number of posts : 4852

http://www.whodeyrevolution.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Markwes Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:16 am

For the life of me, I'll never understand the position of "why aren't you battling for the post-born?". Maybe because no one has ever suggested we should intentionally harm the post-born???
Markwes
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3096

Back to top Go down

Post  Pez Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:42 am

Whoa... an abortion topic... exciting :-)

Pez
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male
Number of posts : 1979

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:48 am

Think there is a similar recipe as chinese suckling pig that could be used for suckling baby? My guess is that production costs are much higher for baby meat than would be for pig. At least the insemination process is probably easier.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:53 am

I wish I had that F'n "thanks" button right now...

Cool
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down