The Real Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dodd Admits Writing AIG Bonus Loophole

5 posters

Go down

Dodd Admits Writing AIG Bonus Loophole Empty Dodd Admits Writing AIG Bonus Loophole

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:21 pm

http://news.yahoo.com/s/politico/20090318/pl_politico/30833

Sen. Chris Dodd (D-Conn.) looks like he may be facing a fresh political firestorm.

Dodd just admitted on CNN that he inserted a loophole in the stimulus legislation that allowed million-dollar bonuses to insurance giant AIG to go forward – after previously denying any involvement in writing the controversial provision. .

“We wrote the language in the bill, the deal with bonuses, golden parachutes, excessive executive compensation that was adopted unanimously by the United States Senate in the stimulus bill,” Dodd told CNN’s Wolf Blitzer this afternoon.

“But for that language, there would have been no language to deal with this at all.”

Dodd had previously said that he played no role in writing the controversial language, and was not a part of the conference committee that inserted the language in the bill. As late as today, Dodd’s spokeswoman denied the senator’s involvement.

The AIG bonuses have caused a political firestorm, with Republicans and Democrats alike looking to lay blame for who’s responsible, and leading lawmakers looking to revoke the bonuses.

Dodd’s role in the legislation will likely come up as he faces the likelihood of a tough re-election. Former GOP congressman Rob Simmons announced he was running this week, and has already taken issue with Dodd’s stewardship as chairman of the Senate Banking Committee.
Another reason that bill shouldn't have been rammed down our throats. I wonder if this is only the tip of the iceberg? Any other stories going to come out like this? Evil or Very Mad
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male
Number of posts : 4852

http://www.whodeyrevolution.com

Back to top Go down

Dodd Admits Writing AIG Bonus Loophole Empty Re: Dodd Admits Writing AIG Bonus Loophole

Post  LTRT Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:34 am

Dodd Blames Obama Administration for Bonus Amendment
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=washingtonstory&sid=aT_tMXRy2vDs

March 19 (Bloomberg) -- Senate Banking Committee Chairman Christopher Dodd said the Obama administration asked him to insert a provision in last month’s $787 billion economic- stimulus legislation that had the effect of authorizing American International Group Inc.’s bonuses.
LTRT
LTRT
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3456

Back to top Go down

Dodd Admits Writing AIG Bonus Loophole Empty Re: Dodd Admits Writing AIG Bonus Loophole

Post  Guest Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:31 am

Oh geez...

The blame game? Isn't that what kids play?

Oooh... I bet it was a deliberate attempt by the Obama Administration. I bet they even guaranteed these bonus amounts as well... Rolling Eyes

Lame.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Scooby01_98 Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:40 pm

just another example of the double talk.
Scooby01_98
Scooby01_98
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male
Number of posts : 1642

http://www.nola.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:47 pm

Scooby01_98 wrote:just another example of the double talk.

Then let's just chalk this up as a dem bashing thread. Nobody from the Obama Administration set the bonus amounts, yet here we go again trying to smear poo poo on a congressman for what AIG did.

Penalize the F*ck out of AIG and charge execs with criminal negligence handling bailout funds. Put additional restrictions for receivers of bailout money. Have a government cosigner requirement for any further discretionary spending. At the very least, injunction that shit so it won't get paid out until the federal funds get paid back. Not likely in AIG's case since "we" already own 80% of that company.

AIG is the one that f'd up... where's the outcry against their actions?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Canuck Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:22 pm

That's why I think they should be allowed to go under.
I think it would have served the public better if the government had put this money into the "unemployment insurance fund" and let the employees losing their jobs benefit it from it directly.
I think it would encourage competition between the companies that are remaining or even new businesses emerging and eventually lead to job creation.

Just my opinion...
Canuck
Canuck
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male
Number of posts : 1717

Back to top Go down

Post  Scooby01_98 Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:44 pm

meta4 wrote:
Scooby01_98 wrote:just another example of the double talk.

Then let's just chalk this up as a dem bashing thread. Nobody from the Obama Administration set the bonus amounts, yet here we go again trying to smear poo poo on a congressman for what AIG did.

Penalize the F*ck out of AIG and charge execs with criminal negligence handling bailout funds. Put additional restrictions for receivers of bailout money. Have a government cosigner requirement for any further discretionary spending. At the very least, injunction that shit so it won't get paid out until the federal funds get paid back. Not likely in AIG's case since "we" already own 80% of that company.

AIG is the one that f'd up... where's the outcry against their actions?

There is outcry against AIG. So I don't get your grief. It wouldn't have been a Dem bash thread IF a dem senator and a treasury secretary of this administration hadn't written a special requirement into the stimulus bill to pay the bonuses. However, those people made a special effort to get these people their bonuses.

While wanting to penalize these people, lets blame the company that writes a contract that include bonuses for doing crap. I can't blame the recipients they are just like you and me looking for the payday. If they find a sucker (read AIG here) to pay bonuses for lousy performance I don't blame the actual worker I blame the company.
Scooby01_98
Scooby01_98
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Scooby01_98 Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:53 pm

While were wailing about AIG executive bonuses. Lets not leave out the bonuses totaling 108 million paid to Fannie and Freddie.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/economy/housing/2009-03-18-fannie-mae-bonuses_N.htm
Scooby01_98
Scooby01_98
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:34 am

Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should. I'd think these people would have learned that already.

90% tax on these bonuses is sufficient to get the point across.

Very Happy
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:15 pm

meta4 wrote:Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should. I'd think these people would have learned that already.

Very Happy
Wouldn't that be unconstitutional though? Something about Ex Post Facto??? If it is, then 300+ House members voted yes for something that would be against the constitution.

Don't get me wrong, the fact that they got the bonuses is morally wrong in my book, but it may be illegal to try to tax them like this after the fact...
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male
Number of posts : 4852

http://www.whodeyrevolution.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:48 pm

Cincy Fan 44 wrote:
meta4 wrote:Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should. I'd think these people would have learned that already.

Very Happy
Wouldn't that be unconstitutional though? Something about Ex Post Facto??? If it is, then 300+ House members voted yes for something that would be against the constitution.

Don't get me wrong, the fact that they got the bonuses is morally wrong in my book, but it may be illegal to try to tax them like this after the fact...

Ex post fact used in the correct legal context would be raising the penalty on a criminal act, after the act had been committed or after a sentence was given. So I think, this is irrelevant to the issue and I'm surprised to hear the media, and lawyer-congressmen drop that phrase on the senate floor. It show's they are stupid.

There was no real "crime" committed and congress can enact whatever tax law they wish. If they do it, and they probably will, It will pass with majority because the people wish it to be so. I believe it would also be completely legal.

from Wikipedia - ex post facto law wrote:A large "exception" to the ex post facto prohibition can be found in administrative law, as federal agencies may apply their rules retroactively if Congress has authorized them to do so. Retroactive application is disfavored by the courts for a number of reasons,[4] but Congress may grant agencies this authority through express statutory provision. Furthermore, when an agency engages in adjudication, it may apply its own policy goals and interpretation of statutes retroactively, even if it has not formally promulgated a rule on a subject.

In the 1994 opinion United States v. Carlton, the U.S. Supreme Court unanimously held that retroactive tax laws did not violate the constitutional prohibition on ex post facto legislation.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Scooby01_98 Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:20 pm

Very Happy

If this dumb tax passes hopefully Obama will have the smarts to veto it. Just another knee jerk reaction by the idiots in congress. The same people that have no clue how to run a business or hire employees.

While the bonuses came a bad time. A contract is a contract.

Because if congress thinks they can get away with this what will be next. 90% tax on signing bonuses for sports players?

Maybe Meta you'll get hit with a 90% tax on some of your income...and if you do I don't want to here a peep because people like you will deserve the 90% tax.
Scooby01_98
Scooby01_98
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  floridafun Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:39 am

when meta goes and asks for billions from our gov to keep his business afloat, he would be at risk for the additional taxing if the circumstances were the same..

just wondering..did anyone actually watch the aig grilling on cspan other than me?

it seems to me the whole thing happened with the original tarp funds agreement, which this last approval of release covered is part of the incrementally doled out total..so you can thank gw for the original wording, and for sayin it MUST pass as is or he would veto it because a) the sky is falling, and b) our national security would be threatened.. i bet they werent allowed time to review that original bailout agreement either!
floridafun
floridafun
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Female
Number of posts : 2519

Back to top Go down

Post  floridafun Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:42 am

far as that 90% tax issue...in some peoples minds obama would have been wrong and not following our constitution if he agreed to it or if he didnt..just like anything he does.
floridafun
floridafun
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Female

Back to top Go down

Post  Scooby01_98 Sat Mar 21, 2009 5:27 pm

floridafun wrote:
it seems to me the whole thing happened with the original tarp funds agreement, which this last approval of release covered is part of the incrementally doled out total..

This money came from the 2nd half of the original TARP funds the 350 Billion Bush people didn't use, these are funds that Geithner was in charge of. Can't blame the Bush admin for the 2nd half dole out to AIG. Plus if the payout of the bonuses was written into the stimulus bill well that was on Obama's watch.

I also don't think you want to use the "sky is falling argument" or "national security", Obama used those on the stimulus package and we are seeing nothing from that yet.....
Scooby01_98
Scooby01_98
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  floridafun Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:45 pm

thought it was doled out in thirds not halves?
floridafun
floridafun
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Female

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down