The Real Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Obama tax pledge up in smoke

+3
Markwes
Pez
LTRT
7 posters

Go down

Obama tax pledge up in smoke Empty Obama tax pledge up in smoke

Post  LTRT Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:08 pm

PROMISES, PROMISES: Obama tax pledge up in smoke
http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D979POSG0&show_article=1

WASHINGTON (AP) - One of President Barack Obama's campaign pledges on taxes went up in puffs of smoke Wednesday. The largest increase in tobacco taxes took effect despite Obama's promise not to raise taxes of any kind on families earning under $250,000 or individuals under $200,000.

This is one tax that disproportionately affects the poor, who are more likely to smoke than the rich.

To be sure, Obama's tax promises in last year's campaign were most often made in the context of income taxes. Not always.

"I can make a firm pledge," he said in Dover, N.H., on Sept. 12. "Under my plan, no family making less than $250,000 a year will see any form of tax increase. Not your income tax, not your payroll tax, not your capital gains taxes, not any of your taxes."

He repeatedly vowed "you will not see any of your taxes increase one single dime."

Now in office, Obama, who stopped smoking but has admitted he slips now and then, signed a law raising the tobacco tax nearly 62 cents on a pack of cigarettes, to $1.01. Other tobacco products saw similarly steep increases.

Can I bum a smoke?
LTRT
LTRT
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3456

Back to top Go down

Obama tax pledge up in smoke Empty Re: Obama tax pledge up in smoke

Post  Pez Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:24 pm

LOL... give the guy some credit... this tax is clearly optional... how liberal of you to define cheap smokes as an entitlement... if you dont like the tax, dont pay it.

Pez
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male
Number of posts : 1979

Back to top Go down

Post  LTRT Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:51 pm

Pez wrote:LOL... give the guy some credit... this tax is clearly optional... how liberal of you to define cheap smokes as an entitlement... if you dont like the tax, dont pay it.

Sorry but I don't work for AP....just reporting the news...

Funny how you gloss over the post as my way of attacking the boss and never address the campaign pledge issue. Wonder what's the next detriment going to be for the workin' man.
LTRT
LTRT
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3456

Back to top Go down

Post  Markwes Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:17 pm

Pez wrote:LOL... give the guy some credit... this tax is clearly optional... how liberal of you to define cheap smokes as an entitlement... if you dont like the tax, dont pay it.
Well, technically just about any product that we could potentially tax can be considered optional. You could say the same about a tax on fruit - just stop buying fruit. I'm not sure why the amount of tax on special items always seems to be judged on their perceived healthiness.
Markwes
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3096

Back to top Go down

Post  Scooby01_98 Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:33 pm

That 61 cent increase is going to be peanuts compared to cap and tax.

The Congressional Budget Office has estimated that a 15 percent cut of emissions would raise average household energy costs by almost $1,300 a year.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/06/01/AR2008060101913.html
Scooby01_98
Scooby01_98
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male
Number of posts : 1642

http://www.nola.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Pez Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:55 pm

LTRT wrote:

Sorry but I don't work for AP....just reporting the news...

Funny how you gloss over the post as my way of attacking the boss and never address the campaign pledge issue. Wonder what's the next detriment going to be for the workin' man.

I didnt intend to gloss over the post... I guess I understand how you took it that way. I just think that classifying a cigarette tax increase as a middle class tax increase is a stretch for me. When he raises income taxes, then it's less of a stretch.

To be candid... I think that when Obama made those promises it was somewhat misguided, and was before we realized the full scope and extent of the economic issues he would have to deal with. I wouldn't be surprised if he does raise income taxes...

I know you are probabaly thinking I'm giving him a free pass, whatever... that's fine. I'm kind Of past the Point of keeping score on campaign promises and want someone running the show to do what is right and what is necessary. Right now I would give Obama a 7 (of 10) on that scale.

Pez
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:47 pm

Smoke 'em if you can afford 'em... Obama tax pledge up in smoke 56897
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male
Number of posts : 4852

http://www.whodeyrevolution.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:24 am

I'm down to my last pack of smokes I purchased before the tax hike. I'll be getting some gum to start with after reading some bad stuff on the net about Chantix. The last time I tried to quit with medication, I tried zyban (wellbutrin SR is the generic) but it made me dizzy, lightheaded and disoriented so I quit that crap.

I might have to just bite the bullet and take my lumps as they come.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Pez Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:28 am

meta4 wrote:I'm down to my last pack of smokes I purchased before the tax hike. I'll be getting some gum to start with after reading some bad stuff on the net about Chantix. The last time I tried to quit with medication, I tried zyban (wellbutrin SR is the generic) but it made me dizzy, lightheaded and disoriented so I quit that crap.

I too am contemplating making the big quit... it's been too expensive for years now... and extra $7 a week isnt much, but the habit itself is ridiculous...

Pez
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:29 am

I'm tired of not having as much energy as I would... normally. My wife added it up for me (bless her) and I would spend over $250 a month. That's more than I spend on alcohol.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  IrishGuy Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:48 am

Pez wrote:
meta4 wrote:I'm down to my last pack of smokes I purchased before the tax hike. I'll be getting some gum to start with after reading some bad stuff on the net about Chantix. The last time I tried to quit with medication, I tried zyban (wellbutrin SR is the generic) but it made me dizzy, lightheaded and disoriented so I quit that crap.

I too am contemplating making the big quit... it's been too expensive for years now... and extra $7 a week isnt much, but the habit itself is ridiculous...

I thought you quit? If you do quit, look at it this way, that extra $7 per week will get you out of a case of High Life per week and in to a case of Sam Adams per week. That is, of course, until you realize you are still wasting your money, go back to the High Life and use the $7 per week on stuff for the lake.
IrishGuy
IrishGuy
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male
Number of posts : 1511

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:02 am

IrishGuy wrote:I thought you quit? If you do quit, look at it this way, that extra $7 per week will get you out of a case of High Life per week and in to a case of Sam Adams per week. That is, of course, until you realize you are still wasting your money, go back to the High Life and use the $7 per week on stuff for the lake.
Very Happy cheers
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  iberlingirl Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:42 pm

I too am quitting... HATE it, my kids HATE it and waaaaaaaaaay too expensive. I have cut to about 1/2 pk/day, this weekend my kid will be gone, so that is when I will cut the cord completely.
iberlingirl
iberlingirl
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Female
Number of posts : 1185

Back to top Go down

Post  Scooby01_98 Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:45 pm

IrishGuy wrote:
Pez wrote:

I thought you quit? If you do quit, look at it this way, that extra $7 per week will get you out of a case of High Life per week and in to a case of Sam Adams per week. That is, of course, until you realize you are still wasting your money, go back to the High Life and use the $7 per week on stuff for the lake.

Actually you might be going down to Keystone depending on how much you drink. Indiana is proposing a tax increase on Beer, Wine and the hard stuff.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30007879/

http://www.tribstar.com/indianalegislature/local_story_092074742.html

And look it all goes to Indianapolis....isn't that special. Evil or Very Mad
Scooby01_98
Scooby01_98
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  IrishGuy Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:01 pm

According to the msnbc article that Scooby posted, this increase in tax would add a penny for each 12 ounch beer and 2 cents per shot of liquor........I can live with that.
IrishGuy
IrishGuy
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Scooby01_98 Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:21 pm

IrishGuy wrote:According to the msnbc article that Scooby posted, this increase in tax would add a penny for each 12 ounch beer and 2 cents per shot of liquor........I can live with that.

Yes, but when you go into the bar will that formerly $3 dollar beer, cost you $3.01? Chances are it will cost you $3.25, doubt they will charge you $3.01. Don't see them absorbing that penny either as a cost of business.
Scooby01_98
Scooby01_98
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  IrishGuy Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:50 pm

Scooby01_98 wrote:
IrishGuy wrote:According to the msnbc article that Scooby posted, this increase in tax would add a penny for each 12 ounch beer and 2 cents per shot of liquor........I can live with that.

Yes, but when you go into the bar will that formerly $3 dollar beer, cost you $3.01? Chances are it will cost you $3.25, doubt they will charge you $3.01. Don't see them absorbing that penny either as a cost of business.

Very true. But just think, with that extra $0.24 per beer that I'm forking over, imagine the improvements the fine establishments can make.

I was actually thinking only a penny per beer when buying a case at the grocery or liquor store.
IrishGuy
IrishGuy
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Pez Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:15 pm

So if I quit smoking its a middle class tax cut? Gobama!!

Pez
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down