The Real Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Obama bows to Saudi King

+2
Pez
LTRT
6 posters

Go down

Obama bows to Saudi King Empty Obama bows to Saudi King

Post  LTRT Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:05 pm

White House: No bow to Saudi
http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmith/0409/White_House_No_bow_to_Saudi.html

"It wasn't a bow. He grasped his hand with two hands, and he's taller than King Abdullah," said an Obama aide, who spoke on the condition of anonymity.

..."shocking display of fealty to a foreign potentate" and said it violated centuries of American tradition of not deferring to royalty.

What a lying arse, his left hand never touched the guy. Rolling Eyes
55 seconds in... affraid

LTRT
LTRT
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3456

Back to top Go down

Obama bows to Saudi King Empty Re: Obama bows to Saudi King

Post  Pez Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:11 am

ok... why is this an issue? Seriously, why?

Pez
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male
Number of posts : 1979

Back to top Go down

Post  IrishGuy Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:15 am

Pez wrote:ok... why is this an issue? Seriously, why?

Because being the president of the U.S. is the most polarizing position in the world.
IrishGuy
IrishGuy
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male
Number of posts : 1511

Back to top Go down

Post  floridafun Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:20 am

the ben smith column link also shows an update today. i agree he did bow, based on the tape. is it intended to be a sign of respect for another nations leadership? our officials havent always bowed to the queen of england, and to other leaders where it is the national custom for their people to bow? sooo whats the harm? is it a guarantee that obama is showing support for all the guys policies and beliefs and wants to emulate his policies here?

did i hear you flipping out when gw held hands with the guy? is a show of respect more of a no-no than what many in america see as an effeminate show of affection from an anti-gay prez? didnt think so. Shocked

About the 'bow'

The question of whether President Barack Obama bowed to the Saudi king stirs some passions, as did the images of George W. Bush holding hands with the Saudi.

And while this White House is denying Obama bowed, there's also video that appears to show Bush bowing to the king.

The Obama gesture, on the other hand, sure looks like a bow, and Captains Quarters points out that the two-handed handshake begins after Obama has come up from his dip.

And who cares? Well, the broader story of which this is an instance is the gap between warm presidential relations with Saudi Arabia, a helpful behind-the-scenes partner, and popular American suspicion of the country.
floridafun
floridafun
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Female
Number of posts : 2519

Back to top Go down

Post  floridafun Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:23 am

IrishGuy wrote:

Because being the president of the U.S. is the most polarizing position in the world.

when the usa is being led by a polarizing figure i would agree with your point. but that is not the case today..in the opinion of the vast majority of people nationally and internationally.
floridafun
floridafun
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Female

Back to top Go down

Post  Scooby01_98 Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:17 pm

I have no problem with the bow. My issue is why the administration is hiding/lying about the bow. His press secretary was pretty smart ass about it. I mean if they are willing to lie about this item that is captured on tape. What are they lying to us on things behind close doors?

Overall though I think he has done well in his foreign policy. I don't care about his gift gaffs.
Scooby01_98
Scooby01_98
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male
Number of posts : 1642

http://www.nola.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Pez Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:52 am

I think he has done well also... so far anyway.... I did pop in to listen to some talk radio late last week and found Hannity characterize his foreign policy as Obama apologizing for the United States. I have a pretty polarizing view in that I feel if the United States didnt have so much egg on our faces from an unnecessry war and the curtailment of human rights, Obama would have no apologies to make.

Pez
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male
Number of posts : 1979

Back to top Go down

Post  IrishGuy Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:05 am

floridafun wrote:
IrishGuy wrote:

when the usa is being led by a polarizing figure i would agree with your point. but that is not the case today..in the opinion of the vast majority of people nationally and internationally.

By polarizing, I meant he is a high ranking, political figure. Those people usually carry a love or hate quality from most people.
IrishGuy
IrishGuy
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male
Number of posts : 1511

Back to top Go down

Post  floridafun Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:13 pm

i guess i think the word polarizing is a negative..but if you mean it as a high ranking political figure, it seems from most of the polls he is respected/liked/doing his job=loved? by a huge majority, and definately hated by a minority to the point of embarrassment of many in the party many haters belong to sunny
floridafun
floridafun
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Female

Back to top Go down

Post  Markwes Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:52 pm

floridafun wrote:i guess i think the word polarizing is a negative..but if you mean it as a high ranking political figure, it seems from most of the polls he is respected/liked/doing his job=loved? by a huge majority, and definately hated by a minority to the point of embarrassment of many in the party many haters belong to sunny
Are there seriously polls asking if he his doing his job after three months in office? scratch
Markwes
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3096

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down