The Real Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Swine flu Fear

4 posters

Go down

Swine flu Fear Empty Swine flu Fear

Post  LTRT Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:08 pm

Swine flu worry: US advises against Mexico trips
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090427/ap_on_he_me/med_swine_flu

WASHINGTON – U.S. officials advised Americans against most travel to Mexico on Monday as a swine flu virus that began there spread to the United States and beyond. With 40 cases now reported in the United States, President Barack Obama said there was reason for concern but not yet "a cause for alarm."

In a related story:

US says not testing travelers from Mexico for flu
http://lite.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/N26491120.htm

26 Apr 2009 17:19:55 GMT
Source: Reuters
WASHINGTON, April 26 (Reuters) - The United States is not testing airplane travelers from Mexico for the swine flu virus that has heightened fears of a possible pandemic, U.S. Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano said on Sunday.

"Right now we don't think the facts warrant more active testing or screening of passengers coming in from Mexico," she said at a White House briefing.

(Editing by Patricia Zengerle)

Rolling Eyes
LTRT
LTRT
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3456

Back to top Go down

Swine flu Fear Empty Re: Swine flu Fear

Post  Guest Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:26 pm

How would the TSA agents "screen" for influenza? Furthermore, how would they be able to detect H1N1 Swine Flue vs. others.

Markwes, you got one of them $5 urine tests? Very Happy I hear they give a wonder "peace of mind" bang for the buck!
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:18 pm

I'm hungry for bacon... pig
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male
Number of posts : 4852

http://www.whodeyrevolution.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Markwes Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:28 pm

meta4 wrote:How would the TSA agents "screen" for influenza? Furthermore, how would they be able to detect H1N1 Swine Flue vs. others.

Markwes, you got one of them $5 urine tests? Very Happy I hear they give a wonder "peace of mind" bang for the buck!
Good thing I bought them in bulk! I can probably get $20 apiece for them now!
Markwes
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3096

Back to top Go down

Post  iberlingirl Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:00 pm

My cousin won a week trip to Mexico, she is scheduled to go the 1st of June, she is a but freaked about this... she is just not sure what to think yet.... she is watching for a sign to go or cancel her trip.
iberlingirl
iberlingirl
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Female
Number of posts : 1185

Back to top Go down

Post  Markwes Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:05 pm

iberlingirl wrote:My cousin won a week trip to Mexico, she is scheduled to go the 1st of June, she is a but freaked about this... she is just not sure what to think yet.... she is watching for a sign to go or cancel her trip.
I'm pretty sure I heard the airlines are giving refunds for Mexico flights. As part of a contest though, not sure what they would do.
Markwes
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  iberlingirl Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:12 am

Markwes wrote:
iberlingirl wrote:My cousin won a week trip to Mexico, she is scheduled to go the 1st of June, she is a but freaked about this... she is just not sure what to think yet.... she is watching for a sign to go or cancel her trip.
I'm pretty sure I heard the airlines are giving refunds for Mexico flights. As part of a contest though, not sure what they would do.
Apparently, her employer (who she won the trip from) is trying to put together another trip for her. I found this out last night.
iberlingirl
iberlingirl
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Female

Back to top Go down

Post  iberlingirl Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:11 pm

Just got this from CNN ALERTS:
INDIANAPOLIS (AP/WANE) -- The Indiana health commissioner says one swine flu case has been confirmed in the state and that the person is "doing well."

State health Commissioner Judy Monroe said Tuesday the person was a young adult from northern Indiana, but released no other details or how the person might have acquired the illness.

She said the case had been confirmed in testing by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

The agency said Sunday that it had sent two flu specimens for tests by the CDC. The agency said the flu specimens did not match other strains that Indiana has seen this year.

(Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

I am not worried about this flu, just staying aware of where it is being detected.... better safe than sorry!
iberlingirl
iberlingirl
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Female

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:22 pm

Markwes wrote:
meta4 wrote:How would the TSA agents "screen" for influenza? Furthermore, how would they be able to detect H1N1 Swine Flue vs. others.

Good thing I bought them in bulk! I can probably get $20 apiece for them now!

Too bad there's no market for them. Very Happy affraid
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:24 pm

iberlingirl wrote:I am not worried about this flu, just staying aware of where it is being detected.... better safe than sorry!

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&t=p&msa=0&msid=106484775090296685271.0004681a37b713f6b5950&source=embed&ll=36.385913,-93.955078&spn=33.310673,89.296875&z=4

Be safe. Cool
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Markwes Fri May 01, 2009 7:24 pm

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/flights/item.aspx?type=blog&ak=66238967.blog

"It's not just going to Mexico. If you're any place in a confined aircraft and one person sneezes, it goes all the way through the aircraft," Biden said to Todayhost Matt Lauer. As you might expect, that touched off a nerve in the airline industry … not to mention that it reinforced Biden's reputation for verbal gaffes.

The Wall Street Journal continues that theme, adding "officials in both the vice president's office and the president's said Mr. Biden intended to say that if family members are feeling sick, they shouldn't fly on planes or take public transit. But even they conceded the vice president hadn't come close to saying that." The Journal notes White House spokesman Robert Gibbs quipped: "I understand what he said, and I'm telling you what he meant to say."

Well, there you go. Everytime the human gaffe machine says something dumb, Gibbs will tell us what he meant to say. And to think this guy is a heartbeat away from being president (seems like I heard that before at one time... Suspect )
Markwes
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Fri May 01, 2009 8:09 pm

I don't think the Biden family should worry about Swine Flu so much as they should worry about "Foot In Mouth Disease."

Heartbeat away...LOL...thump thump...
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male
Number of posts : 4852

http://www.whodeyrevolution.com

Back to top Go down

Post  LTRT Sat May 02, 2009 5:53 pm

After his flu warning, Biden takes the train home
May 1, 9:16 PM (ET)
WASHINGTON (AP) - One day after saying he wouldn't travel in tight quarters because of the swine flu scare, Vice President Joe Biden rode a train Friday from Washington to Delaware.

Known for speaking freely, Biden told NBC's "Today" show on Thursday that he had urged family members to avoid airplanes and subways for fear of contracting the H1N1 flu virus.

"I wouldn't go anywhere in confined places now," Biden said.

The comments infuriated the travel industry and triggered several revisions from the Obama administration, whose official advice is less severe.

Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano commented, "If he could say that over again, he would say if they're feeling sick, they should stay off of public transit or confined spaces."

By Friday night, Biden seemed ready for his own do-over. A longtime rider of Amtrak, he took a train from Union Station to his Delaware home, his office said.

Rolling Eyes
LTRT
LTRT
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3456

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down