The Real Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

10 Reasons to Whack Obama's Stimulus Plan

+4
Cincy Fan 44
Markwes
floridafun
LTRT
8 posters

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

10 Reasons to Whack Obama's Stimulus Plan Empty 10 Reasons to Whack Obama's Stimulus Plan

Post  Guest Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:48 pm

http://www.usnews.com/blogs/capital-commerce/2009/1/27/10-reasons-to-nix-the-stimulus-plan.html

Some people are going to oppose President Obama's ginormous stimulus package just because they're on a different political team. But when you look at the economic evidence, it sure seems like an economic recovery package that's heavy on government spending and light on tax cuts is just the opposite of what we should be doing right now.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

10 Reasons to Whack Obama's Stimulus Plan Empty Re: 10 Reasons to Whack Obama's Stimulus Plan

Post  LTRT Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:32 pm

pg 147 of the bill. Shocked

(4) not less than $335,000,000 shall be used as an additional amount to carry out domestic HIV/AIDS, viral hepatitis, sexually-transmitted diseases, and tuberculosis prevention programs, as jointly determined by the Secretary and the Director;
LTRT
LTRT
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3456

Back to top Go down

10 Reasons to Whack Obama's Stimulus Plan Empty Re: 10 Reasons to Whack Obama's Stimulus Plan

Post  floridafun Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:23 pm

if page 147 is the one that alarmed the pro-illegal abortion crowd, it was dropped off the bill before it passed.
floridafun
floridafun
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Female
Number of posts : 2519

Back to top Go down

Post  floridafun Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:30 pm

and here is a good reason to recognize wtf their agenda is...and wonder about them. giving as a source of the opinion, they reference the good olde cbo report...which never existed.

"4) An initial CBO analysis found that a mere $26 billion out of $274 billion in infrastructure spending, just 7 percent, would be delivered into the economy by next fall. An update determined that just 64 percent of the stimulus would reach the economy by 2011."
floridafun
floridafun
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Female

Back to top Go down

Post  Markwes Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:27 am

floridafun wrote:if page 147 is the one that alarmed the pro-illegal abortion crowd, it was dropped off the bill before it passed.
I'm confused. What does it have to do with abortion?
Markwes
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3096

Back to top Go down

Post  floridafun Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:37 am

LTRT wrote:pg 147 of the bill. Shocked

(4) not less than $335,000,000 shall be used as an additional amount to carry out domestic HIV/AIDS, viral hepatitis, sexually-transmitted diseases, and tuberculosis prevention programs, as jointly determined by the Secretary and the Director;

this was the section referring to preventative health measures including funds to provide condoms, birth control, real-word sex ed as opposed to faith-based abstinance. could eventually start paying costs of legal abortions? not to be confused with the "mexico" plan where it will be an international aid program. anyway a neocon from where i work said thats how the repubs not supporting it are hoping to gratify the extremist rr such as herself view it...because of the "as determined by" wording. the explaination made sense to me with their raging fear of inability to control other peoples personal choices, but i dont agree with the interpretation.
floridafun
floridafun
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Female

Back to top Go down

Post  floridafun Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:44 am

seems to me the #1 reason for the republicans to vote against the stimulus would be that they have no actual leadership or overall agenda at this time. they are split over whether to lead with the sarah palin extremist rr priority viewpoint, or to become what a growing number of their people are demanding..a more culturally compassionate and inclusive organization. cant have both worlds anymore and they cant make a decision..anyway they havent yet.

#2 reason is because they are damned if they support it and probably damned anyway if they dont. they are up for reelection in 2 years and dont know how to satisfy their flailing base so they are sticking with whats familiar..anything suggested by a dem=bad policy period. just because 10 Reasons to Whack Obama's Stimulus Plan 129520 elephant Shocked
floridafun
floridafun
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Female

Back to top Go down

Post  LTRT Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:13 am

floridafun wrote:if page 147 is the one that alarmed the pro-illegal abortion crowd, it was dropped off the bill before it passed.

There you go again ass-uming. Razz The reason is simple, how does 335 mill for std prevention stimulate (no pun intended) the economy, that's all. As for the dropping of the provision, I'm on the board before checking the news. Cool

Edit: after a quick check I can't find where pg 147 was dropped, can you provide a link? Suspect

Is the press wrong again? scratch
Economic-stimulus bills allot millions for STD prevention
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2009/jan/29/economic-stimulus-bills-allot-millions-for-std-pre/
LTRT
LTRT
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:45 am

From Indiana Congressman Mike Pence...

WASHINGTON, DC—Congressman Pence delivered the following speech in opposition to the so-called ‘stimulus bill’ from the floor of the U.S. House of Representatives. The bill, H.R. 1 – the “American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009,” passed despite bipartisan opposition to the legislation:

“Our nation is in recession and millions of American families are hurting.

“Many have lost their jobs, many now worry that they’ll be next and it is absolutely right that this Congress is taking decisive action in the early days of 2009.

“But the bill that House Democrats have brought to the floor is not about stimulating the economy. The only thing this Democrat bill will stimulate is more government and more debt.

“Under the guise of stimulus, House Democrats have brought a partisan bill to the floor. It’s merely a wish list of longstanding liberal Democrat priorities that have little do with putting our economy back on its feet.

“Millions of Americans are asking today: ‘What does $50 million to the National Endowment for the Arts have to do with creating jobs? What is $400 million for climate change research going to do to put people back to work in Indiana? And what is $335 million for sexually transmitted disease education going to do to get this country working again?’

“House Republicans will oppose this bill for one reason—it won’t work.

“More big government spending on liberal programs won’t cure what ails the American economy.

“House Republicans have a better solution: fast-acting tax relief for working families, small businesses and family farms.

“According to analysis and economic models used by President Obama’s top economic advisors—when applied to our plan—we come to one conclusion: twice the jobs, half the cost with the Republican alternative.

“Democrats also said that we’re going to pass temporary and targeted stimulus legislation. But let me remind the American people what we keep hearing—from the Speaker of the House, whom I deeply respect, to other colleagues that have come to the floor—we have heard that this bill is about ‘taking America in a new direction.’

“I say with great respect, I thought this was about creating jobs.

“This long litany--$136 billion in program spending—is simply about trying to reorder the budget priorities according to the whims of a Democrat majority.

“What we ought to be doing is coming together across this middle aisle, across the partisan divide—as our new President has challenged us to do—bring the best ideas, the best minds, the best solutions—the Republican alternative is such a solution. I urge its support and yield back.”
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male
Number of posts : 4852

http://www.whodeyrevolution.com

Back to top Go down

Post  LTRT Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:30 pm

Cincy Fan 44 wrote:From Indiana Congressman Mike Pence...

WASHINGTON, DC—Congressman Pence delivered the following speech in opposition to the so-called ‘stimulus bill’ from the floor of the U.S. House of Representatives. The bill, H.R. 1 – the “American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009,” passed despite bipartisan opposition to the legislation:

And the only thing you're hearing about is that there was no support from the GOP, but they seem to dismiss that 11 democrats voted no also.

Missing in Package: Bipartisan Support
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123320178103027715.html?mod=article-outset-box

It passed 244-188, with 11 Democrats joining the Republicans.
LTRT
LTRT
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:57 pm

i'm glad this didn't pass.

Now cut the "crap" and get back to work! Razz
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:58 pm

The whole thing looks like a pile of pork barrel spending and no real job incentives.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:00 pm

Jugomugo wrote:The whole thing looks like a pile of pork barrel spending and no real job incentives.

Yep, and if you listen really closely you can hear the air escaping from the democratically controlled house and senate.

IMO, a prime opportunity for the republicans to suggest a better plan, or at least a few ingredients.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  IrishGuy Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:09 pm

meta4 wrote:i'm glad this didn't pass.

It did pass, right? I think I'm confused.
IrishGuy
IrishGuy
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male
Number of posts : 1511

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:12 pm

IrishGuy wrote:

It did pass, right? I think I'm confused.

Irish you have it right ... it has passed the HOUSE but a version must pass the Senate too, differences have to be worked out in committee. The Senate will tame the bill some, they need 60 Senators to close off debate and the dems don't have 60 so they will have to concede some to get some republican senators to vote to cut off debate and vote on the bill.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:24 pm

Come on Meta, get with the program. It DID pass the House. Is this the first time we can actually accuse you of your sh*t being weak???? Razz Razz
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:38 pm

Cincy Fan 44 wrote:

Come on Meta, get with the program. It DID pass the House. Is this the first time we can actually accuse you of your sh*t being weak???? Razz Razz

Oh, you've had plenty of opportunities to declare YSIW on me. You just gotta be willing to pull the trigger and hope you don't miss...

I know this won't pass the Senate without major work. I guess I ASSumed that would be common sense knowledge.

... for once, I'm pushing chips over to the Republicans (Red 23) Lets see them put the money where their ideas is... rabbit
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:51 pm

meta4 wrote:
Cincy Fan 44 wrote:

Oh, you've had plenty of opportunities to declare YSIW on me. You just gotta be willing to pull the trigger and hope you don't miss...

I know this won't pass the Senate without major work. I guess I ASSumed that would be common sense knowledge.

... for once, I'm pushing chips over to the Republicans (Red 23) Lets see them put the money where their ideas is... rabbit
YSIW! is should be 'are'! Who learned you english!?!?!?! Razz
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:55 pm

Cincy Fan 44 wrote:
meta4 wrote:
Cincy Fan 44 wrote:

YSIW! is should be 'are'! Who learned you english!?!?!?! Razz

Rolling Eyes That's why I used the bucktooth grin. I thought that would be "hoosier hillbilly" enough to get the point across. Very Happy

I almost said "Black 23" instead but then I would take the chance on stepping into an automatic YSIW and then I might have earned the YSIW for being the "bait" master! lol!
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  LTRT Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:58 pm

meta4 wrote: Rolling Eyes That's why I used the bucktooth grin. I thought that would be "hoosier hillbilly" enough to get the point across. Very Happy

Good comeback, you're pretty good at diggin' yourself outta holes. You should be...you're in them enough. Razz
LTRT
LTRT
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:26 pm

They just need to call up Ron Paul and have him take care of business.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:48 pm

Jugomugo wrote:They just need to call up Ron Paul and have him take care of business.

Get off the crack Jugo.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:53 pm

Jugomugo wrote:They just need to call up Ron Paul and have him take care of business.

Actually, that might not be a bad idea. At least give the guy a platform opportunity to address this issue.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  floridafun Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:22 pm

LTRT wrote:

There you go again ass-uming. Razz The reason is simple, how does 335 mill for std prevention stimulate (no pun intended) the economy, that's all. As for the dropping of the provision, I'm on the board before checking the news. Cool

Edit: after a quick check I can't find where pg 147 was dropped, can you provide a link? Suspect

Is the press wrong again? scratch
Economic-stimulus bills allot millions for STD prevention
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2009/jan/29/economic-stimulus-bills-allot-millions-for-std-pre/

i didnt ASSume..i repeated what a coworker said she sees it as, and clearly stated that. actually i did believe her that it had been dropped, you know i normally fact check carefully... when i go to work tomorrow i will beat her up for telling me fairy tales jocolor
floridafun
floridafun
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Female

Back to top Go down

Post  LTRT Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:42 pm

floridafun wrote:i didnt ASSume..i repeated what a coworker said she sees it as, and clearly stated that. actually i did believe her that it had been dropped, you know i normally fact check carefully... when i go to work tomorrow i will beat her up for telling me fairy tales jocolor

Go light on her...I'm just happy for once I didn't stick my foot in my mouth. Razz
LTRT
LTRT
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next