The Real Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Potential Gross Misuse of Stimulus Funds?

5 posters

Go down

Potential Gross Misuse of Stimulus Funds? Empty Potential Gross Misuse of Stimulus Funds?

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:34 am

http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/ohio-news/ohio-lawmakers-outraged-at-use-of-stimulus-funds-in-ncr-deal-146677.html

WASHINGTON — NCR's news release touting its decision to move jobs from Dayton to the Atlanta, Ga. suburbs includes one factoid that has Ohio lawmakers in a fury: The City of Columbus, Ga. plans to use federal stimulus dollars to buy a building and construct another to accommodate the 870 manufacturing jobs expected to come to the that Atlanta suburb.

"The fact that economic stimulus dollars were used to move an Ohio company to Georgia at taxpayer expense is an outrage," said state Sen. Jon Husted. U.S. Rep. Pat Tiberi, R-Columbus, House Minority Leader John Boehner, R-West Chester and Sen. Sherrod Brown, D-Ohio, also fired off angry missives. U.S. Rep. Mike Turner, R-Centerville, drafted a letter to President Obama.

There's one problem, according to Columbus Mayor Jim Wetherington. The city doesn't have the $5 million it applied for in stimulus money yet. Nor does it know if it will receive that money.

"We haven't received a penny of federal funds and we don't know whether we will or not," he said. "We put up the money - but if we could get a little help along the way, it would be good."

Still, just the possibility that stimulus money could be used to lure jobs away from Ohio has lawmakers frothing.

Said Tiberi, "Federal stimulus money is being used to create winners and losers among workers in different states and that's just not right; it's dirty." Boehner's spokeswoman also sounded the alarm.

"Ohio lawmakers who voted for the so-called stimulus package before anyone even had a chance to read it need to explain why they voted for legislation that let another state woo away Dayton's only Fortune 500 company, resulting in a devastating economic and emotional blow to our region," said spokeswoman Jessica Towhey.

And Brown was drafting a letter to Secretary of Commerce Gary Locke late Wednesday arguing that economic recovery funds should be used to create jobs, not relocate them.
Not sure if any of you heard about NCR's decision to leave Dayton (where they had their HQ for 125 years) for the Atlanta region, but basically they're moving 1,250 jobs from an area (Dayton) that is already reeling from lost GM jobs.

IF this goes thru and they get the $5 Million...then that is truly an outrage. Mad
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male
Number of posts : 4852

http://www.whodeyrevolution.com

Back to top Go down

Potential Gross Misuse of Stimulus Funds? Empty Re: Potential Gross Misuse of Stimulus Funds?

Post  Pez Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:54 am

Tough call... I'm sure the congressmen from GA have a different view...

Pez
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male
Number of posts : 1979

Back to top Go down

Potential Gross Misuse of Stimulus Funds? Empty Re: Potential Gross Misuse of Stimulus Funds?

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:17 am

Pez wrote:Tough call... I'm sure the congressmen from GA have a different view...
I'm sure they do. Still pretty shitty if it they get the stimulus funds...
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Markwes Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:32 pm

I usually try to avoid youtube videos, but this is quite interesting. Nice job by ABC News.

Markwes
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3096

Back to top Go down

Post  floridafun Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:42 pm

that is a good one. i hope they can get some other flight options and things look up for them..shame to waste the good facility.

oh...and impeach obama Potential Gross Misuse of Stimulus Funds? Icon_rendeer
floridafun
floridafun
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Female
Number of posts : 2519

Back to top Go down

Post  Markwes Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:29 pm

floridafun wrote:that is a good one. i hope they can get some other flight options and things look up for them..shame to waste the good facility.

oh...and impeach obama Potential Gross Misuse of Stimulus Funds? Icon_rendeer
Thanks, I got a chuckle out of that last line. Very Happy
Markwes
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  LTRT Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:21 am

What a fine thread title for this story to go in!

Residents Get Chance At Stimulus Money
http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/21215978/detail.html
UPDATED: 8:05 am EDT October 7, 2009

DETROIT -- Detroit's homeless and low-income residents have another opportunity for a chance at millions of stimulus dollars.
The money is available to help low-income residents from becoming homeless and homeless residents to find housing.
Thousands of people lined up Tuesday.
Some people in line falsely believed they were registering for $3,000 stimulus checks from the Obama Administration.
City officials told Local 4 that Detroit was granted $15 million to help residents pay bills and their rent or find temporary housing for the homeless.

Whadda' know, people lining up for gov't handouts. This will really bring back Detroit, just like the other day Granholm announcing something about 40k 'green' jobs by 2020. She must've forgotten it's 2009. So much for the stimulus CREATING jobs...as if that had anything to do with it. Looks like the only 'change' coming to Detroit will be loose change in the pockets.
LTRT
LTRT
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3456

Back to top Go down

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:45 am

Well, at least the Tigers are in the playoffs...oh wait, nevermind. Well, at least the Lions no longer have the longest losing streak in the NFL...

What a depressing area to be in right now. Ugh...
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:56 am

LTRT wrote:What a fine thread title for this story to go in!

Residents Get Chance At Stimulus Money
http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/21215978/detail.html
UPDATED: 8:05 am EDT October 7, 2009

DETROIT -- Detroit's homeless and low-income residents have another opportunity for a chance at millions of stimulus dollars.
The money is available to help low-income residents from becoming homeless and homeless residents to find housing.
Thousands of people lined up Tuesday.
Some people in line falsely believed they were registering for $3,000 stimulus checks from the Obama Administration.
City officials told Local 4 that Detroit was granted $15 million to help residents pay bills and their rent or find temporary housing for the homeless.

Whadda' know, people lining up for gov't handouts. This will really bring back Detroit, just like the other day Granholm announcing something about 40k 'green' jobs by 2020. She must've forgotten it's 2009. So much for the stimulus CREATING jobs...as if that had anything to do with it. Looks like the only 'change' coming to Detroit will be loose change in the pockets.

Hey I am all for using stimulus money to help people out in this economy. I think the stimulus money should be used to extend unemployment time periods, to continue offering govt subsidized COBRA help to the unemployed and underemployed.

I guess I see helping people down on their luck as a good investment you would rather have a tax cut in YOUR pocket to help you get that new volvo. GREED will be the downfall of this nation.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  LTRT Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:10 pm

Bman wrote:I guess I see helping people down on their luck as a good investment you would rather have a tax cut in YOUR pocket to help you get that new volvo. GREED will be the downfall of this nation.

Potential Gross Misuse of Stimulus Funds? Icon_scratch
If I had more money, my charitable giving would increase, if I had a tax cut, I would spend more money thus HELPING out the economy. With increased demand for products and services, companies would hire and the unemp. rate would go down.

But how is that going to happen with this administration? Seems like everybody is hoping for some loose change. This so-called stimulus is the biggest scam ever to be pulled on the taxpayers.

Last edited by LTRT on Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
LTRT
LTRT
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3456

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:03 pm

Someone tell me how I can get a few greenbacks so I can get some upgrade parts for my Jeep.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Markwes Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:32 pm

To qualify, a person must have been a resident of Detroit for more than six months, must be homeless or facing eviction and must be able to maintain housing after receiving assistance.

Also, a resident must make 50 percent less than the median area income, which would be less than $24,850 for single Detroit residents and less than $35,500 for a family of four.

What makes one qualified by being able to "maintain housing after receiving assistance"? Hmmm, having an income? So it sounds like you have to be low-income but not too low. That's really helping the ones who need it most. Rolling Eyes

And besides that, why is it more important to get housing for the Detroit homeless but not other cities?
Markwes
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Markwes Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:33 pm

Bman wrote:GREED will be the downfall of this nation.
I'm thinking lying politicians will have more do with the downfall.
Markwes
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:51 pm

Ring around the rosie
pocket full of posie
ashes, ashes
we all...
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down