The Real Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Free tibet

4 posters

Go down

Free tibet Empty Free tibet

Post  Guest Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:14 pm

I am torn about the protests going on in Paris, London and starting already in Sanfrancisco... While I feel that these protest are aimed wrongly at the olympic torch, the IOC should have never given the olympics to China.... and avoiding this type of backlash is something that the IOC is SUPPOSED to do. China's human rights record is abhorrent, and the scenes three months ago of Chinese rounding up cats and taking them to the gas bordered on absolute comedy.

Anyone else have thoughts?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Free tibet Empty Re: Free tibet

Post  Guest Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:23 pm

pez wrote:I am torn about the protests going on in Paris, London and starting already in Sanfrancisco... While I feel that these protest are aimed wrongly at the olympic torch, the IOC should have never given the olympics to China.... and avoiding this type of backlash is something that the IOC is SUPPOSED to do. China's human rights record is abhorrent, and the scenes three months ago of Chinese rounding up cats and taking them to the gas bordered on absolute comedy.

Anyone else have thoughts?

don't eat the Kung Pao.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Scooby01_98 Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:16 pm

Never been a big fan of olympic boycotts. Host countries could care less and only hurts the athlete of the boycotting country. To say China should have never been awarded the olympics is wrong also. The Soviet Union wasn't the greatest on human rights either but they got to hold them. This puts more of an eye on china which could bring more pressure on their government.

If anything I will agree with France and boycott the opening ceremonies, but do attend and allow the games.
Scooby01_98
Scooby01_98
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male
Number of posts : 1642

http://www.nola.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:03 pm

I'm in the same boat as Pez.. I think they were dumb for giving it to China. But I don't see the point in boycotting, especially if it's just the opening ceremonies.... what the hell does that accomplish other than piss off any athletes who wanted to go? Seriously, China won't notice a difference, neither will any of the retailers.

Personally I'd just be freaked out about the horrible air over there when you're outside running around.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Markwes Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:01 am

I would like to know where all these protesters were before China was awarded the Olympics. Now all of a sudden people care about China's human rights record. And to try to extinguish the flame from the woman carrying the torch in her wheelchair, well that's not a whole lot better than what they are protesting.
Markwes
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3096

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:23 am

Markwes wrote:I would like to know where all these protesters were before China was awarded the Olympics. Now all of a sudden people care about China's human rights record. And to try to extinguish the flame from the woman carrying the torch in her wheelchair, well that's not a whole lot better than what they are protesting.

Wierd ... I find myself agreeing with Markwes.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:30 am

It's the new thing to protest so you get all the people who want to be in the hip crowd out there. Like Nancy and Hillary.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Markwes Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:52 am

Bman wrote:
Markwes wrote:I would like to know where all these protesters were before China was awarded the Olympics. Now all of a sudden people care about China's human rights record. And to try to extinguish the flame from the woman carrying the torch in her wheelchair, well that's not a whole lot better than what they are protesting.

Wierd ... I find myself agreeing with Markwes.
The planets must be aligned!

This thing with China is just the 'issue du jour' for these protesters. My message for them comes via a quote from a great song by Oingo Boingo,

"If it ain't one thing
Then it's the other
Any cause that crosses your path
Your heart bleeds for anyone's brother
I've got to tell you you're a pain in the ass"
Markwes
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:03 am

For some that is true... the folks in San Francisco that hung the banner on Golden Gate were part of a Free Tibet activism group that has been around for years. Some of these groups are seeing this as an opportunity to get their voiced heard more loudly. I could not agree more. When you start to disrupt things is when you lose the moral high ground and you are just a 'pain in the ass..' I couldnt agree more with that either.

I do not think we should boycott the opening ceremonies, but rather we should issue a statement about the recent action in Tibet and not tie our stance on Tibet to the Olympics at all. The problem is that for something to be highly effective, it would have to be heavily nuanced; gentle and firm at the same time. I doubt Mr. Nuke-u-lar is up to it.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  floridafun Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:25 am

i think the thing that should be protested is the agreements all participants and media are required to sign about what they will NOT discuss or report about china.
floridafun
floridafun
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Female
Number of posts : 2519

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:40 pm

Hey... they let Hitler host the Olympics, why not China?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Markwes Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:02 pm

Try to imagine participating in the Olympics being a lifelong dream, training hard for 4 years, and then being told sorry, but we don't like how the host country treats people. If you're still in top form in another 4 years you can try again. We would be hurting no one except the athletes, other than the little China would lose in tourist revenues.
Markwes
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:07 pm

Markwes wrote:Try to imagine participating in the Olympics being a lifelong dream, training hard for 4 years, and then being told sorry, but we don't like how the host country treats people. If you're still in top form in another 4 years you can try again. We would be hurting no one except the athletes, other than the little China would lose in tourist revenues.

Yea, I think the boycotts are less than effective, for your reasons... Also, I think you made the comment earlier... must we rebuke China on their civil rights record by virtue of the olympics alone? I think the answer is no.

Personally, MFN trading status is where we should rebuke china for it's human rights record. But we are too chicken sh** to take the pain. grumble grumble....
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:20 pm

I could see other countries boycotting an American held Olympics for our diversion from the Geneva Convention and our support of torture.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:18 pm

Jugomugo wrote:I could see other countries boycotting an American held Olympics for our diversion from the Geneva Convention and our support of torture.

If that's the case, I say the U-S should capitalize on it and add events such as "The Shocker Test," which would test 'athletes' ability to withstand electricity...OR..."No Water For You!" in which you have to run as far as you can with no water. Last person to pass out wins.
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male
Number of posts : 4852

http://www.whodeyrevolution.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:23 pm

Maybe a test to see who can hold their breath the longest while being waterboarded?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:30 pm

Jugomugo wrote:Maybe a test to see who can hold their breath the longest while being waterboarded?

That would be a good one...
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  floridafun Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:33 am

Cincy Fan 44 wrote:
Jugomugo wrote:I could see other countries boycotting an American held Olympics for our diversion from the Geneva Convention and our support of torture.

If that's the case, I say the U-S should capitalize on it and add events such as "The Shocker Test," which would test 'athletes' ability to withstand electricity...OR..."No Water For You!" in which you have to run as far as you can with no water. Last person to pass out wins.

cheney and the rest of bushco should get to be the first contestants sunny
floridafun
floridafun
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Female
Number of posts : 2519

Back to top Go down

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:31 am

floridafun wrote:
Cincy Fan 44 wrote:

cheney and the rest of bushco should get to be the first contestants sunny

Naw, they'll be handing out the medals...
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down