The Real Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Really? The Nobel Prize?

+4
LTRT
floridafun
Cincy Fan 44
Pez
8 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Really? The Nobel Prize? - Page 2 Empty Re: Really? The Nobel Prize?

Post  SavoyTruffle Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:40 pm

Regardless of whatever consideration (or possibly political poise) may have went into the nomination, I congratulate the president and hope that we continue to strive for peace in the world.

I still think the best thing to come out of "Nobels week" was Monday's award to the scientists who worked on telomerase - for years, I've been an armchair geneticist shouting "it's all about the telomeres!" when it came to aging and mutations. Luckily, the smart men and women who actually know the ins-and-outs of the science, get advanced degrees in the field, and work feverishly on discoveries actually DO something about it. Congrats to all Nobel prize winners (even the one for literature Sleep Razz ).
SavoyTruffle
SavoyTruffle
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Male
Number of posts : 174

Back to top Go down

Post  Scooby01_98 Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:10 pm

Maybe if he had done something to have won the award. Jimmy Carter had the Israeli and Egyptian peace accord. Clinton had the Camp David Accords between Israel and Palestine and he didn't even get one. Obama heck he won't even meet with the Dhali Lama. It does make the Nobel Prize look like the BCS ratings.

Last edited by Scooby01_98 on Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:33 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : I thought clinton got one)
Scooby01_98
Scooby01_98
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male
Number of posts : 1642

http://www.nola.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:50 pm

Maybe we're looking at this with too much of an American perspective... maybe the rest of the world does view him as worthy of the award, and for the stated reasons. Perhaps, we want to think that "he's our guy", that WE must be willing to give him the award in order for him to receive it. He has demonstrated a 180 deg. turn in the leadership, foreign policy wise, and THAT is enough to set off a ripple effect of vision and hope that the rest of the world needs. Perhaps they really, really, reall,y, like the idea that they need not be afraid of the US.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Markwes Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:23 pm

meta4 wrote:Maybe we're looking at this with too much of an American perspective... maybe the rest of the world does view him as worthy of the award, and for the stated reasons.
Or... maybe the committee that gives out this award is politically motivated. Let's see, Jimmy Carter, Al Gore, and now Barack. I don't mind so much Carter getting the award, but...

I honestly haven't heard these stated reasons. What are they? Bman saying that the world is a safer place? I'm surprised that someone who always demands facts can take this news as proving anything. I tend to look at this as thinking it will make other countries hate us even more. Oh, the American who has not done anything yet won.
Markwes
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3096

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:14 am

Markwes wrote:
meta4 wrote:Maybe we're looking at this with too much of an American perspective... maybe the rest of the world does view him as worthy of the award, and for the stated reasons.
Or... maybe the committee that gives out this award is politically motivated. Let's see, Jimmy Carter, Al Gore, and now Barack. I don't mind so much Carter getting the award, but...

I honestly haven't heard these stated reasons. What are they? Bman saying that the world is a safer place? I'm surprised that someone who always demands facts can take this news as proving anything. I tend to look at this as thinking it will make other countries hate us even more. Oh, the American who has not done anything yet won.

Yea, I think the world knew from the time he campaigned until he was elected that his approach to foreign policy was going to be different from the Bush doctrine. The Bush doctrine of going it alone without allies support, a strike first mentality and rogue diplomacy turned the whole world off to us. I believe the Obama foreign policy of reaching out to sensible muslims and bringing our allies alone IS the correct way to go and I believe the world recognized that and the Nobel Prize was awarded for this changing of American doctrine which will make the world a safer place.

I think this award was equally awarded to Obama as it was a FLUCK you to the Neo Cons that ran the past administration.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:46 am

I still think it's ironic that the award was given to a guy who is the Commander In Chief of an army at war in two countries. affraid
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male
Number of posts : 4852

http://www.whodeyrevolution.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:03 am

Cincy Fan 44 wrote:I still think it's ironic that the award was given to a guy who is the Commander In Chief of an army at war in two countries. affraid

Started by the Neo Cons! elephant

Just read an article that the world sees Obama as a Visionary for the future, a future of peace and equality!

YES WE CAN!!!!
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Markwes Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:29 am

Bman wrote:
Cincy Fan 44 wrote:I still think it's ironic that the award was given to a guy who is the Commander In Chief of an army at war in two countries. affraid

Just read an article that the world sees Obama as a Visionary for the future, a future of peace and equality!

YES WE CAN!!!!
Which proves that he has bamboozled the rest of the world with his charm in the same way he did the U.S. during his campaign. It's a matter of time before the world sees what we have seen.
Markwes
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:30 am

Mike McConnell had a great analogy yesterday on WLW radio about this...

It's like giving the Heisman Award to a Freshman in September based on how good he could be... Really? The Nobel Prize? - Page 2 795451

Oh wait...breaking news...this just in...the Pope is fast-tracking Obama for sainthood! And the Queen of England is going to Knight him! What a rebound for the guy after losing the Olympics. lol!

Last edited by Cincy Fan 44 on Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:35 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : extra 'o' in losing)
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:34 am

Bman wrote:

YES WE CAN!!!!
Now if Obama had said on his first day..."You know what...I'm ending this war right now. The fighting is wrong. I'm bringing home our troops right now" then sure give him the Peace Award. But the guy has had 9 months and all he's done is apologize around the world while he's gone on with the wars. Hypocrite. Razz
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:55 am

Cincy Fan 44 wrote:
Bman wrote:

YES WE CAN!!!!
Now if Obama had said on his first day..."You know what...I'm ending this war right now. The fighting is wrong. I'm bringing home our troops right now" then sure give him the Peace Award. But the guy has had 9 months and all he's done is apologize around the world while he's gone on with the wars. Hypocrite. Razz

LOL apologized around the world ... making ammends for 8 years of Cowboy diplomacy. Speaking of hypocrites and apologizing has the Catholic church ever done anything other than apologize for the Priests who molested kids, how many were fired/terminated/outed by the church? Wait ... wait .... did the Catholic church ever really apologize for these acts? Maybe Obama is Catholic not muslim!
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:00 pm

Bman wrote:
Cincy Fan 44 wrote:
Bman wrote:

YES WE CAN!!!!

LOL apologized around the world ... making ammends for 8 years of Cowboy diplomacy. Speaking of hypocrites and apologizing has the Catholic church ever done anything other than apologize for the Priests who molested kids, how many were fired/terminated/outed by the church? Wait ... wait .... did the Catholic church ever really apologize for these acts? Maybe Obama is Catholic not muslim!
Was that on page 666 of the Left Wing Nutjob Playbook???
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:49 pm

Shouldn't Reagan have won for basically winning/ending the Cold War??? Oh wait, he was a Republican, so he wasn't eligible...
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:29 am

Fact: All Nobel Peace Prize nominations were due 11 days after Obama's inauguration.

Fact: Obama didn't do anything peace related during his first 11 days in office. He was too busy trying to ramrod a stimulas package through the house and senate.

Fact: Prior to Inauguration Day, all Obama contributed to the "Peace" process was rhetoric.

Conclusion: Obama hadn't done anything to deserve the award.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:52 am

Kroman wrote:Fact: All Nobel Peace Prize nominations were due 11 days after Obama's inauguration.

Fact: Obama didn't do anything peace related during his first 11 days in office. He was too busy trying to ramrod a stimulas package through the house and senate.

Fact: Prior to Inauguration Day, all Obama contributed to the "Peace" process was rhetoric.

Vision and Rhetoric man ... he had laid the groundwork during an 18 month campaign for the Presidency, he said he would end the war in Iraq in 18 months, said he would engage the world rather than the go it alone Bush approach and quite simply he is NOT Bush.

I am so thrilled that the man I campaigned for and who won the Presidency in a landslide has not been recognized as a visionary and a leader that will reshape and heal the worlds wounds.

YES WE CAN

Wow ... there is HOPE with this CHANGE!
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:53 am

Markwes wrote:
Bman wrote:

YES WE CAN!!!!
Which proves that he has bamboozled the rest of the world with his charm in the same way he did the U.S. during his campaign. It's a matter of time before the world sees what we have seen.

Send your donations to THE BIRTHERS CAMPAIGN c/o Markwes.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  floridafun Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:08 am

in his first 10 days he didnt perform any automagical fetes, but he did do a little work...apparently some of these things were enough to get him nominated..and is the nobel vote done soley on what had been done at the time of the nomination, or does it maybe include what happens up until the time of the actual vote?

1. decreed that interrogators must follow techniques outlined in the Army Field Manual when questioning terrorism suspects. NO MORE TORTURE.

2. told top military officials summoned to the White House to do whatever planning necessary to "execute a responsible military drawdown from Iraq."

3. ordered the Guantanamo detention center shut within a year.

4. froze all white house staff salaries of $100.000.00 or more.

5. overturning the so-called Mexico City policy that forbids U.S. funding for family planning programs that offer abortion.

6. lifting President George W. Bush's limit on federal funding of embryonic stem cell research.

7. stated all branches of government which require scientific reporting are to provide information which they find to be factual scientifically. he would not redact facts that do not agree with his personal beliefs, declaring once again to restore science to its rightful place. "The days of science taking a back seat to ideology are over," he said

8. tells the Muslim world, we seek a new way forward, based on mutual interest and mutual respect."

9. reversed a post-9/11 Bush administration policy making it easier for government agencies to deny requests for records under the Freedom of Information Act.

10. repealed a Bush executive order that allowed former presidents or their heirs to claim executive privilege in an effort to keep records secret.

11. required closure of all remaining cia secret black site prisons abroad.
floridafun
floridafun
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Female
Number of posts : 2519

Back to top Go down

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:12 am

Bman wrote:
Kroman wrote:Fact: All Nobel Peace Prize nominations were due 11 days after Obama's inauguration.

Vision and Rhetoric man ... he had laid the groundwork during an 18 month campaign for the Presidency, he said he would end the war in Iraq in 18 months, said he would engage the world rather than the go it alone Bush approach and quite simply he is NOT Bush.

I am so thrilled that the man I campaigned for and who won the Presidency in a landslide has not been recognized as a visionary and a leader that will reshape and heal the worlds wounds.

YES WE CAN

Wow ... there is HOPE with this CHANGE!
Remind me when my kids get older that all they have to do is give a big speech around the 8th grade about how when they get into High School they will study every night, get straight A's, particpate in many clubs and organizations, athletics, etc...that way the school can just go ahead and give them the Valedictorian Award during their Freshman year. Who knew it could be so easy? Rolling Eyes
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:18 am

I think some of you are SLOW ....

Along with the items FF mentioned goes the whole WORLD VISION thing ... He did not have to do much to have the world fall in love with us all over again after the 8 disasterous years of George W. Bush. I think Obama should thank the NeoCons in his acceptance speech for causing the entire earth to hate us so much during the previous 8 years.

God Bless Barack Obama!
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Oct 11, 2009 1:18 pm

Bman wrote:I think some of you are SLOW ....

Along with the items FF mentioned goes the whole WORLD VISION thing ... He did not have to do much to have the world fall in love with us all over again after the 8 disasterous years of George W. Bush. I think Obama should thank the NeoCons in his acceptance speech for causing the entire earth to hate us so much during the previous 8 years.

God Bless Barack Obama!

Rhetoric is all ff mentioned. Obama promised to close Quantanamo by the end of this year but it's not going to happen is it? Broken promise. Obama promised to not raise taxes on 95% of the people by a single dime but that's not going to happen is it. Broken promise.

Rhetoric, vision, and broken promises. What do these three have in common? Lack of action. And yet he wins a peace prize presented by a bunch of lefties.

We'll see how visionary this man really is after he completes his one term if the country isn't financially ruined before then.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Markwes Sun Oct 11, 2009 1:31 pm

Cincy Fan 44 wrote:Shouldn't Reagan have won for basically winning/ending the Cold War???
That's what I was thinking. But then I guess he would have won it if he would have just talked about how he plans on winning the cold war instead of actually doing it.
Markwes
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Markwes Sun Oct 11, 2009 1:34 pm

Bman wrote:
Markwes wrote:
Bman wrote:

YES WE CAN!!!!

Send your donations to THE BIRTHERS CAMPAIGN c/o Markwes.
Good job of getting your standard unwarranted birther reference in there. Always a good comeback.
Markwes
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Scooby01_98 Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:09 pm

floridafun wrote:in his first 10 days he didnt perform any automagical fetes, but he did do a little work...apparently some of these things were enough to get him nominated..and is the nobel vote done soley on what had been done at the time of the nomination, or does it maybe include what happens up until the time of the actual vote?

1. decreed that interrogators must follow techniques outlined in the Army Field Manual when questioning terrorism suspects. NO MORE TORTURE.

2. told top military officials summoned to the White House to do whatever planning necessary to "execute a responsible military drawdown from Iraq."

5. overturning the so-called Mexico City policy that forbids U.S. funding for family planning programs that offer abortion.

6. lifting President George W. Bush's limit on federal funding of embryonic stem cell research.

7. stated all branches of government which require scientific reporting are to provide information which they find to be factual scientifically. he would not redact facts that do not agree with his personal beliefs, declaring once again to restore science to its rightful place. "The days of science taking a back seat to ideology are over," he said

8. tells the Muslim world, we seek a new way forward, based on mutual interest and mutual respect."

9. reversed a post-9/11 Bush administration policy making it easier for government agencies to deny requests for records under the Freedom of Information Act.

10. repealed a Bush executive order that allowed former presidents or their heirs to claim executive privilege in an effort to keep records secret.

Okay what does 1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 9, 10, 11 have to do with peace prize?
Scooby01_98
Scooby01_98
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male
Number of posts : 1642

http://www.nola.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:19 pm

Scooby01_98 wrote:
floridafun wrote:in his first 10 days he didnt perform any automagical fetes, but he did do a little work...apparently some of these things were enough to get him nominated..and is the nobel vote done soley on what had been done at the time of the nomination, or does it maybe include what happens up until the time of the actual vote?

Okay what does 1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 9, 10, 11 have to do with peace prize?

Many of FF's items proved to the world that a new humane Sherrif was in charge here in America and we were not going to torture people, that we would respect everyone, that we were not at war with the entire muslim world ... they ALL have something to do with the Nobel Peace Prize.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  floridafun Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:46 pm

that would only have to be explained to someone who is firmly determined to NEVER recognize anything positive or right about obama.
floridafun
floridafun
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Female
Number of posts : 2519

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next