The Real Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

57 states clarification

4 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

57 states clarification Empty 57 states clarification

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:04 am

Okay, seriously, I know BHO made a reference to there being 57 states, but what I never heard was what was the context? Was he 'trying' to make a joke? Was it just a slip of the tongue? Was he tired from the corkscrew landings (oh wait differenct candidate)? Just wondering...
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male
Number of posts : 4852

http://www.whodeyrevolution.com

Back to top Go down

57 states clarification Empty Re: 57 states clarification

Post  LTRT Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:06 am

LTRT
LTRT
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3456

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:09 am

His handlers claim he was tired.. and that was why he had the slip..
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:10 am

I would, however, like to have seen what comments Bman would have made had McCain said this.. I'm sure it'd be something about being old and senile.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:12 am

okay, but again, it's just one snippet. What were the parts leading up to, and after, the comment? Just seems to me if it was truly a HUGE deal, McCain or Hillary would have been all over him for it, but they weren't. Which leads me to believe 'maybe' BHO was trying to make a joke with that comment, and McCain & Hillary would have looked silly in trying to attack him for it.
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:13 am

Now after reading Card's comments, maybe he wasn't trying to make a joke at all. Again, just wondering.
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Markwes Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:18 am

Cincy Fan 44 wrote:
okay, but again, it's just one snippet. What were the parts leading up to, and after, the comment? Just seems to me if it was truly a HUGE deal, McCain or Hillary would have been all over him for it, but they weren't. Which leads me to believe 'maybe' BHO was trying to make a joke with that comment, and McCain & Hillary would have looked silly in trying to attack him for it.
I think they would have looked silly attacking him whether it was a joke or a mistake. Most politicians have learned that when an opponent makes himself look bad, just let it go. I don't think they made a big deal out of the pastor incidents either.
Markwes
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3096

Back to top Go down

Post  LTRT Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:30 am

Markwes wrote:I think they would have looked silly attacking him whether it was a joke or a mistake. Most politicians have learned that when an opponent makes himself look bad, just let it go. I don't think they made a big deal out of the pastor incidents either.

Now if the media could just grab this concept...
LTRT
LTRT
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3456

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:48 am

I find the 57 state comment MUCH MUCH less telling than McCain getting the Sunni's and Shiites mixed up. Who has more confidence in who ... do we feel relatively more sure that Obama knows there are 50 US States but 54 Primary/caucuses or that McCain knows foreign policy and knows the difference between Sunni's and Shiites.

I personally ... politics aside ... am more worried about a person knowing who he is dealing with in the middle east, I am relatively POSITIVE that Obama knows how many states there are.

I look forward to watching these debates between these two candidates, maybe we should have a Real Board Viewing Party to watch these events together. LOL J/K ... you guys won't be confident enough in your candidate to do that.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:54 am

Bman wrote:I find the 57 state comment MUCH MUCH less telling than McCain getting the Sunni's and Shiites mixed up. Who has more confidence in who ... do we feel relatively more sure that Obama knows there are 50 US States but 54 Primary/caucuses or that McCain knows foreign policy and knows the difference between Sunni's and Shiites.

I personally ... politics aside ... am more worried about a person knowing who he is dealing with in the middle east, I am relatively POSITIVE that Obama knows how many states there are.

I look forward to watching these debates between these two candidates, maybe we should have a Real Board Viewing Party to watch these events together. LOL J/K ... you guys won't be confident enough in your candidate to do that.

Excellent point Bman, in degrees of magnitude, when Lieberman leans over to correct him, the look on McCain's face is exquisite. Now if McCain could recite every single ethnic group, tribe or religious faction in Iraq and Afghanistan, THAT would be impressive.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:00 am

I believe that there are 50 states and 7 US territories that vote = 57
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  IrishGuy Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:01 am

Which ever one can hop on one foot, tap his head with one hand and rub his belly with the other hand all at the same time will get my vote.
IrishGuy
IrishGuy
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male
Number of posts : 1511

Back to top Go down

Post  Markwes Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:07 am

I'm still waiting to see who McCain picks for VP, since that person could easily become the pres if McCain is elected.
Markwes
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3096

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:32 am

IrishGuy wrote:Which ever one can hop on one foot, tap his head with one hand and rub his belly with the other hand all at the same time will get my vote.

I'd settle for this to be impressed, but it'll take more for my vote.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:28 pm

Bman wrote:I find the 57 state comment MUCH MUCH less telling than McCain getting the Sunni's and Shiites mixed up. Who has more confidence in who ... do we feel relatively more sure that Obama knows there are 50 US States but 54 Primary/caucuses or that McCain knows foreign policy and knows the difference between Sunni's and Shiites.

Good to know you put more emphasis on the education of religious sects of Islam than on our own nations history.. and here I thought those 50 stars and 13 stripes actually meant something..... maybe that's why he doesn't wear the flag pins.. he thinks they are inaccurate (yes.. that's a joke.. I hate pins regardless and wouldn't wear one either).

While I also believe our leaders need to know the differences in religious groups, that's also what the secretary of state is for.. to make sure the prez knows these things. Last I checked there isn't a cabinet position to make sure the prez knows how many states are in the union.

Would you feel comfortable knowing the president of your company doesn't know where the business is located but that they do know where the prez of a rival company goes to pray and why?

Sorry.. but to get the 50 states comment wrong to me is equal to thinking that buffalo wings come from buffalo (the animal). It's not a trick question.. it's common knowledge. Maybe he was taking sniper fire when he answered that question...
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:29 pm

Markwes wrote:I'm still waiting to see who McCain picks for VP, since that person could easily become the pres if McCain is elected.

I'd argue both of the VP's could easily become prez.. McCain for age/health (though I really don't think it's an issue) and Obama because of race. While MOST people can see past it (I hope) there are nut jobs out there who will want to kill him simply because he's a black man.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:15 pm

cardinal5150 wrote:
Sorry.. but to get the 50 states comment wrong to me is equal to thinking that buffalo wings come from buffalo (the animal). It's not a trick question.. it's common knowledge. Maybe he was taking sniper fire when he answered that question...

It's not as is someone asked him, "how many states are there?" It was Obama telling of a greuling campaign, and said "I think we've been to 57 states..." I contend that he probably meant to say cities... and to discard him out of hand for something like this is a bit if a stretch.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:05 am

pez wrote:
cardinal5150 wrote:

It's not as is someone asked him, "how many states are there?" It was Obama telling of a greuling campaign, and said "I think we've been to 57 states..." I contend that he probably meant to say cities... and to discard him out of hand for something like this is a bit if a stretch.

So you'd have no problem voting for someone who confuses cities for states? For that I'd be even more embarrassed to be him. If it were states/provinces combined that he called states, I can see that more so than to confuse Muncie for a state, no matter how tired/exhausted someone is.

Besides.. he's supposed to be a strapping young lad (from a politics perspective), do you think the campaign process is going to be harder than 4 years in the white house? I can't remember what the comparison is, but the amount of aging that takes place in the 4-8 years in the oval office is something ridiculous compared to normal. Should we then expect to see more gaffe's like Bush I? Throwing up on people and flashing peace signs to people whom it means F You to?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:49 am

cardinal5150 wrote:
pez wrote:
cardinal5150 wrote:

So you'd have no problem voting for someone who confuses cities for states? For that I'd be even more embarrassed to be him. If it were states/provinces combined that he called states, I can see that more so than to confuse Muncie for a state, no matter how tired/exhausted someone is.

Besides.. he's supposed to be a strapping young lad (from a politics perspective), do you think the campaign process is going to be harder than 4 years in the white house? I can't remember what the comparison is, but the amount of aging that takes place in the 4-8 years in the oval office is something ridiculous compared to normal. Should we then expect to see more gaffe's like Bush I? Throwing up on people and flashing peace signs to people whom it means F You to?

But McCain screwing up the Sunni's and Shiites is no big deal ... laughable Card ... laughable.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:04 pm

Bman wrote:
cardinal5150 wrote:
pez wrote:
cardinal5150 wrote:

But McCain screwing up the Sunni's and Shiites is no big deal ... laughable Card ... laughable.

Like I said... it's telling to see that you're more concerned with the different denominations of Islam than you are with history of our own nation.

Quick.. what's the difference between Buddhists and Hindu's? How 'bout Protestants and Lutherans, or Baptists and Pentecostals or Mennonites and Amish (Yes.. they are separate)? They are every bit as relevant as the Islam differences. Unless of course you are implying that middle eastern residents should matter to a President more so than the residents of the United States of America.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:20 pm

Do you really think Barack does not know how many states there are in the United States? Now I do believe that McCain does not know what in the hell is really going on in Iraq and Iran ...

Once again Card, your argument is ridiculous.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:02 am

Bman wrote:Do you really think Barack does not know how many states there are in the United States? Now I do believe that McCain does not know what in the hell is really going on in Iraq and Iran ...

Once again Card, your argument is ridiculous.

Apparently he gets tired and forgets pretty easily... gee.. wonder if the Dem's will try and use that argument against McCain since he's so old and all...

If you think McCain doesn't know what's going on in Iraq and Iran you're dumber than you are blinded by your man crush on Obama.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:22 pm

cardinal5150 wrote:

Like I said... it's telling to see that you're more concerned with the different denominations of Islam than you are with history of our own nation.

Quick.. what's the difference between Buddhists and Hindu's? How 'bout Protestants and Lutherans, or Baptists and Pentecostals or Mennonites and Amish (Yes.. they are separate)? They are every bit as relevant as the Islam differences. Unless of course you are implying that middle eastern residents should matter to a President more so than the residents of the United States of America.

Just in case Bman missed the question.... or are you just avoiding it?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:52 pm

cardinal5150 wrote:
Bman wrote:
cardinal5150 wrote:
pez wrote:
cardinal5150 wrote:

Just to add my Unsolicited input here... the difference between baptists and pentecostals isnt that great of comparison between Shiites and Sunni's... There doesnt seem to be pentecostals or baptists killing US soldiers. It's not so much that the nuances of religion are important, it's that the Sunni's and Shiites represent two large factions in a region that is destabilized and dangerous. The fact that these two groups share a name with religious sects within Iraq and Islam is immaterial to their importance to our eventual president.

You keep saying that the fact he said 57 states means he doesnt care about the history of our country. If this is truly how you feel, then why are you not concerned about the safety of our nuclear arsenal since Bush cant seem to pronounce it? Thoughts?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:51 pm

pez wrote:
cardinal5150 wrote:
Bman wrote:
cardinal5150 wrote:
pez wrote:
cardinal5150 wrote:

Just to add my Unsolicited input here... the difference between baptists and pentecostals isnt that great of comparison between Shiites and Sunni's... There doesnt seem to be pentecostals or baptists killing US soldiers. It's not so much that the nuances of religion are important, it's that the Sunni's and Shiites represent two large factions in a region that is destabilized and dangerous. The fact that these two groups share a name with religious sects within Iraq and Islam is immaterial to their importance to our eventual president.

You keep saying that the fact he said 57 states means he doesnt care about the history of our country. If this is truly how you feel, then why are you not concerned about the safety of our nuclear arsenal since Bush cant seem to pronounce it? Thoughts?

The big difference between Shiite's and Sunni's is who is the rightful heir of Muhammad. To me.. that's not huge.. considering the other 95% of their beliefs are the same.

If Timothy McVeigh was a devote Catholic would we be screaming about how evil all Catholics are? If the Branch Davidians weren't kicked out of the Protestant church would people be calling for discrimination against all Protestants?

Islam is not dangerous... no more so than Christianity, Hinduism or any other religion. What is dangerous is when men start to use Religion as an excuse/reason to kill. To claim that our next President needs to be an expert in the ways of Islam is suggesting that they also need to be an expert in the ways of Christianity. After all.. should a President know his own people (who are predominately Christian) better than people on the opposite side of the earth? Especially when one of the candidates is wanting to pull out of that corner of the globe as quickly as possible, making Islam a non-issue.

And as I said before.. a good Secretary of State is needed here more than anything.

As for being able to pronounce something.. seriously.. that's your argument for something, that his accent makes him say Nuclear differently than you and I?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next