The Real Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Windfall Taxes

2 posters

Go down

Windfall Taxes Empty Windfall Taxes

Post  Guest Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:52 am

So this is one of BO's big ideas on how to solve our energy issues... what are the good points in your eyes and bad points?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Windfall Taxes Empty Re: Windfall Taxes

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:05 pm

If you're talking specifically about windfall taxes on Oil Companies for 'making too much money', I think one of the downfalls of this is doesn't it ultimately come out your 401k (or whatever retirement planning you have) if you have stock options in the Oil Companies? Aren't the oil companies publicly traded? Don't they have an obligation to their share holders to make a profit? Wouldn't a tax on them have a negative impact on us? (Sorry to answer your question with questions.)
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male
Number of posts : 4852

http://www.whodeyrevolution.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:16 pm

How much government subsidy does the Oil Industry receive from the government... don't tax windfall, just eliminate subsidy for this industry.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:29 pm

I'm talking in general.. I think the idea of a "windfall" tax is just stupid, and partially Unamerican. If you develop something and it makes millions why should you pay a higher tax just because of what it is?

Now that farmers are starting to turn profits.. shouldn't we tax them higher, after all, their profits mean our food costs will go up. It's the same idea as the windfall tax on oil, our prices increase and they make more, so let's tax them.

I like meta's idea of eliminating subsidies.. it's not like they need it. But.. on the flip side, it goes back to my stance on windfall taxes.. if you implement a tax, it's not going to lower prices, it'll raise them. If we eliminate subsidies, it'll raise prices, not lower them.

Look at it this way.. if you net $10/unit on a good you sell, and then the Gov't taxes it so people will buy less (in theory) are you going to eat the lost money, or figure out how to raise your profits back to where they were?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:47 pm

cardinal5150 wrote:I'm talking in general.. I think the idea of a "windfall" tax is just stupid, and partially Unamerican. If you develop something and it makes millions why should you pay a higher tax just because of what it is?

Now that farmers are starting to turn profits.. shouldn't we tax them higher, after all, their profits mean our food costs will go up. It's the same idea as the windfall tax on oil, our prices increase and they make more, so let's tax them.

I like meta's idea of eliminating subsidies.. it's not like they need it. But.. on the flip side, it goes back to my stance on windfall taxes.. if you implement a tax, it's not going to lower prices, it'll raise them. If we eliminate subsidies, it'll raise prices, not lower them.

Look at it this way.. if you net $10/unit on a good you sell, and then the Gov't taxes it so people will buy less (in theory) are you going to eat the lost money, or figure out how to raise your profits back to where they were?

I agree... implementing windfall taxes against oil companies is dumb. The Only way windfall taxes will lower gas prices is if we give that money back to oil companies in the form of subsidies.... it's a bad idea.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Strate Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:35 am

Almost every other business makes more profit per dollar than oil does. Tax a hedge fund or GE before you touch tax oil. Mccain should tax beer as well. This would destroy the economy.
Strate
Strate
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Male
Number of posts : 83

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down