The Real Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pat White and Obama

3 posters

Go down

Pat White and Obama Empty Pat White and Obama

Post  Guest Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:45 pm

Anyone listen to his show last night? I found a page on BO's site about what he was talking about.. how in the hell is he going to pay for all this?

Cutting taxes for "working families" by giving a $1,000 credit
Increasing FMLA to require employers of 25 or more (instead of 50) to pay for leave (and increase what is covered)
24 hours per year for every person to attend their childs school functions - paid
Increasing preschool ages to allow kids to go earlier (a.k.a. taxpayer provided daycare)
Tie minimum wage to inflation (I'm for this one just for the record)
Require 7 paid sick days for every worker in America
Expand the Child and Dependant tax care credit to make it refundable and larger

And my favorite.. since people who don't itemize don't get to "claim" their interest as a deduction he wants to create a new credit for them... WTF... are you serious? Why doesn't he just come out and say "Hey, I admit, I don't have the first fucking clue about income taxes, but I'm going to create some credits because I don't understand it and the rest of you can just piss off". At least that would be honest.. If you don't itemize the Gov't is giving you a BIGGER deduction than you should get in the first place! Shit like this really annoys me.. there are maybe 3 congressmen I've heard talk who understand the tax code, and NONE of them are advising any presidential candidates.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Pat White and Obama Empty Re: Pat White and Obama

Post  Guest Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:35 am

what.. i'm the only person who doesn't see how lowering taxes, giving people money to not raise their kids and forcing employers expenses to rise doesn't really add up?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:09 am

cardinal5150 wrote:Anyone listen to his show last night? I found a page on BO's site about what he was talking about.. how in the hell is he going to pay for all this?

Cutting taxes for "working families" by giving a $1,000 credit
Increasing FMLA to require employers of 25 or more (instead of 50) to pay for leave (and increase what is covered)
24 hours per year for every person to attend their childs school functions - paid
Increasing preschool ages to allow kids to go earlier (a.k.a. taxpayer provided daycare)
Tie minimum wage to inflation (I'm for this one just for the record)
Require 7 paid sick days for every worker in America
Expand the Child and Dependant tax care credit to make it refundable and larger

And my favorite.. since people who don't itemize don't get to "claim" their interest as a deduction he wants to create a new credit for them... WTF... are you serious? Why doesn't he just come out and say "Hey, I admit, I don't have the first fucking clue about income taxes, but I'm going to create some credits because I don't understand it and the rest of you can just piss off". At least that would be honest.. If you don't itemize the Gov't is giving you a BIGGER deduction than you should get in the first place! Shit like this really annoys me.. there are maybe 3 congressmen I've heard talk who understand the tax code, and NONE of them are advising any presidential candidates.

Well, crack the whip Buddy...

It seems I read this a little differently than you do at some points. First off, what I have heard already is that the McCain and Obama plans are within $1500 of each other in terms of federal taxes for the same middle income Americans (as opposed to families) Just because you or I have kids does not mean we're any more or less an American citizen than the next "non-breeder". In my case the company I work for now just barely misses the 25 employee mark, which suggests that the next employee they would hire would more likely be a male.

Seems to me, one of the problems with paid family time is that the non-breeders will not be able to receive equal benefits and therefore it favors breeders for working less but having families. Personally, as a father and primary wage earner, I like the fact that I'm treated as more than a sperm donor and a paycheck by someone other than my wife. I would love to take off extra time to be with my kids, especially during school time. Because both my wife and I have to work, there are times when one or more of the kids are sick and can't be sent to school (or daycare) so we end up burning our sick, personal, or vacation time.

I agree with the minimum wage tied to inflation. Kinda seems like it would raise awareness like high gas prices have. Smile
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Markwes Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:13 am

cardinal5150 wrote:what.. i'm the only person who doesn't see how lowering taxes, giving people money to not raise their kids and forcing employers expenses to rise doesn't really add up?
Nope, I agree 100%. Maybe the slogan should be "Change that Makes no Sense but We Will Believe it Because Obama Says So".
Markwes
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3096

Back to top Go down

Post  LTRT Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:18 am

I know Buffet doesn't agree with BHO's windfall tax ideas.
http://businessandmedia.org/articles/2008/20080625160220.aspx
LTRT
LTRT
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3456

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:32 pm

meta4 wrote:

Well, crack the whip Buddy...

It seems I read this a little differently than you do at some points. First off, what I have heard already is that the McCain and Obama plans are within $1500 of each other in terms of federal taxes for the same middle income Americans (as opposed to families) Just because you or I have kids does not mean we're any more or less an American citizen than the next "non-breeder". In my case the company I work for now just barely misses the 25 employee mark, which suggests that the next employee they would hire would more likely be a male.

Seems to me, one of the problems with paid family time is that the non-breeders will not be able to receive equal benefits and therefore it favors breeders for working less but having families. Personally, as a father and primary wage earner, I like the fact that I'm treated as more than a sperm donor and a paycheck by someone other than my wife. I would love to take off extra time to be with my kids, especially during school time. Because both my wife and I have to work, there are times when one or more of the kids are sick and can't be sent to school (or daycare) so we end up burning our sick, personal, or vacation time.

I agree with the minimum wage tied to inflation. Kinda seems like it would raise awareness like high gas prices have. Smile

lol.. i like the breeder comments..

I saw that too about the difference in McCain and Obama for taxes... which isn't much.

I don't mind the FMLA deal... just not for "small" businesses. They typically can't afford to let employees go for 3 months.

I actually view Obama as guaranteed employment for myself, so I should be for him. IMO he's going to drive the divide between the rich and more even more than it is. He's going to create even more incentive for the rich to hide their money by hiring accountants to find where to hide it.

If I were an employer with 30-40 people, I'd fire everyone from Company A and create Company B and C which are "staffing" companies. Split up the employees and then I'm under the 25 limit. Especially if I'm running a restaurant or something where benefits are slim to none. Try telling a bar owner he needs to pay his wait staff to stay home and do nothing.

And then you have companies that run in cycles like Brooks/Wayne that lay off everyone in the winter. Do they qualify for the paid leave? If so, you've just bumped their payroll expense up on top of the idea that the owners are going to get their taxes increased across the board (payroll and federal income).
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:55 pm

cardinal5150 wrote:And then you have companies that run in cycles like Brooks/Wayne that lay off everyone in the winter. Do they qualify for the paid leave? If so, you've just bumped their payroll expense up on top of the idea that the owners are going to get their taxes increased across the board (payroll and federal income).

Wouldn't companies evolve with the law to merely pay less throughout the regular work season in order to spread it out in the off-season?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:32 pm

meta4 wrote:
cardinal5150 wrote:And then you have companies that run in cycles like Brooks/Wayne that lay off everyone in the winter. Do they qualify for the paid leave? If so, you've just bumped their payroll expense up on top of the idea that the owners are going to get their taxes increased across the board (payroll and federal income).

Wouldn't companies evolve with the law to merely pay less throughout the regular work season in order to spread it out in the off-season?

Don't know.. I guess it depends on how they are treated under that.. I'm not sure how many employees they have right now.

Here's an interesting thought.. strip clubs would definitely fall under these rules...
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Markwes Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:20 pm

Gosh, I thought Hillary made it sound like Barack's lack of experience would make him a bad choice for president when she was running against him. Now they're best friends! And in a town named Unity. Isn't that just so special!

http://elections.foxnews.com/2008/06/27/obama-clinton-unite-on-the-campaign-trail/
Markwes
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Canuck Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:28 pm

Markwes wrote:Gosh, I thought Hillary made it sound like Barack's lack of experience would make him a bad choice for president when she was running against him. Now they're best friends! And in a town named Unity. Isn't that just so special!

http://elections.foxnews.com/2008/06/27/obama-clinton-unite-on-the-campaign-trail/

This always amazes me, even here it is the same thing when they are going for party leadership. Trash each other like there is no tomorrow and then come back together. What kind of message is that?
This happens regardless of which party they are in.
Canuck
Canuck
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male
Number of posts : 1717

Back to top Go down

Post  LTRT Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:34 pm

Markwes wrote:Gosh, I thought Hillary made it sound like Barack's lack of experience would make him a bad choice for president when she was running against him. Now they're best friends! And in a town named Unity. Isn't that just so special!

affraid affraid Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
LTRT
LTRT
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3456

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:37 pm

cardinal5150 wrote:
meta4 wrote:

Don't know.. I guess it depends on how they are treated under that.. I'm not sure how many employees they have right now.

Here's an interesting thought.. strip clubs would definitely fall under these rules...

Now there's an interesting topic in the sense that I know very little about... how they operate. I imagine there are interviews, then the girl is hired, but what is the going rate for a stripper? Do they pay them like $2.48 an hour and then let the girls work for the tips or what?

Just curious. Card, your reference re: the off-season, would that be for pregnancy?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:39 pm

I guess this is not as bad as in 2000 when John McCain hugged Bush after he was eliminated even after the bush campaign had said that "John McCain had fathered an illigitimate black child", which won the SC primary for bush, thus ending the McCain bid for the presidency. Seems that really deserves a affraid affraid
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:40 pm

meta4 wrote:
cardinal5150 wrote:
meta4 wrote:

Now there's an interesting topic in the sense that I know very little about... how they operate. I imagine there are interviews, then the girl is hired, but what is the going rate for a stripper? Do they pay them like $2.48 an hour and then let the girls work for the tips or what?

Just curious. Card, your reference re: the off-season, would that be for pregnancy?

La Shang says all of their strippers are contract workers and not employees ... this was said after the recent drug bust there.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:46 pm

Bman wrote:
La Shang says all of their strippers are contract workers and not employees ... this was said after the recent drug bust there.

How recent? Any news links?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:51 pm

The bust just happened in the past couple of weeks. It was in the journal gazette, go google it.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Markwes Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:51 pm

Bman wrote:

I guess this is not as bad as in 2000 when John McCain hugged Bush after he was eliminated even after the bush campaign had said that "John McCain had fathered an illigitimate black child", which won the SC primary for bush, thus ending the McCain bid for the presidency. Seems that really deserves a affraid affraid
Yep, like Canuck said, it happens with both parties. And the funny thing is all the supporters will forget about what was said before.
Markwes
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Canuck Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:01 pm

meta4 wrote:
Bman wrote:

How recent? Any news links?

Meta you afraid they might name ya? lol!

If they do just say you were trying to "stimulate" the economy.
Canuck
Canuck
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:06 pm

Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:10 pm

Canuck, they'll never out their most undercover agent Cool

Bman, too late, I just spent the last 15 minutes getting it, but thanks anyway

http://www.jg.net/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080620/LOCAL07/806200418

I still chuckle every time I read a report from Abby Slutsky Smile
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Canuck Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:11 pm

I wonder if the officer visits here in Cellblock A to be touched appropriately? Laughing

Whoops let me re-phrase that, I wonder if Meta visits her to be touched appropriately.
Canuck
Canuck
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down