The Real Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Texas homeowner acquitted of killing teen intruder

+2
floridafun
Markwes
6 posters

Go down

Texas homeowner acquitted of killing teen intruder Empty Texas homeowner acquitted of killing teen intruder

Post  Guest Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:09 pm

Texas homeowner acquitted of killing teen intruder

LAREDO, Texas (AP) — A Texas jury acquitted a man accused of killing a boy who broke into his home looking for a snack — a case that sparked outrage in this border city, where many thought the man should not have even been charged.

It took the jury of eight men and four women three hours Friday to find Jose Luis Gonzalez, 63, not guilty of murdering Francisco Anguiano, who was 13 when he and three friends broke into Gonzalez's trailer to rummage for snacks and soda one night in July 2007.

"I thank God and my attorney, the jury and the judge," Gonzalez said in Spanish after the verdict. "It was a case where it was my life or theirs, and it's a very good thing that they (the jurors) decided in my favor."

Gonzalez said he was sorry for Anguiano's death, but "it was a situation in which I feared for my life."

Texas law allows homeowners to use deadly force to protect themselves and their property. In June, a grand jury in Houston cleared a homeowner who shot and killed two burglars outside his neighbor's house despite the dispatcher's repeated request that he stay inside his own home.

"I feel vindicated for Mr. Gonzalez and his family and for all of the homeowners and all of the seniors in Laredo," said Isidro "Chilo" Alaniz, Gonzalez's attorney. "This case has huge implications across the board. We always, always believed in Mr. Gonzalez's right to defend his life and his property."

Alaniz is running uncontested for Webb County district attorney in November.

However, Assistant District Attorney Uriel Druker maintained during his closing arguments that the case was not about homeowners' right to protect their property, but about when a person is justified in using deadly force to do so.

"What really took place here was a case of vigilantism," he said after the verdict. "A 13-year-old boy was killed because a man was enraged."

Anguiano's aunt, who asked not to be named, said in Saturday's editions of the Laredo Morning Times that she was disappointed with the verdict.

"The state fought the case the way it should have," she said. "There was a sufficient amount of evidence, and I thought that some of the jurors would be a father or a mother, and perhaps they would think about this happening to them."

Gonzalez had endured several break-ins at his trailer when the four boys, ranging in age from 11 to 15, broke in. Gonzalez, who was in a nearby building at the time, went into the trailer and confronted the boys with a 16-gauge shotgun. Then he forced the boys, who were unarmed, to their knees, attorneys on both sides say.

The boys say they were begging for forgiveness when Gonzalez hit them with the barrel of the shotgun and kicked them repeatedly. Then, the medical examiner testified, Anguiano was shot in the back at close range. Two mashed Twinkies and some cookies were stuffed in the pockets of his shorts.

Another boy, Jesus Soto Jr., now 16, testified that Gonzalez ordered them at gunpoint to take Anguiano's body outside.

Gonzalez said he thought Anguiano was lunging at him when he fired the shotgun.

Many people in Laredo — a town just across the Rio Grande from Nuevo Laredo, Mexico, where drug violence runs rampant — defended Gonzalez's actions. In online responses to articles published by the Morning Times, comments included statements such as "The kid got what he deserved" and calls to "stop the unfair prosecution."

It's a shame more states don't have laws protecting homeowners from criminals like Texas does.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Texas homeowner acquitted of killing teen intruder Empty Re: Texas homeowner acquitted of killing teen intruder

Post  Markwes Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:54 pm

This one is tough. I like the fact that homeowners are allowed to defend their turf without consequences, but he was on the phone with dispatchers who told him not to shoot. If he really feared for his life, fine, but I kind of doubt that he felt threatened by a 13 year old. I'm thinking it was more of a case of "I'll show you".
Markwes
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3096

Back to top Go down

Texas homeowner acquitted of killing teen intruder Empty Re: Texas homeowner acquitted of killing teen intruder

Post  floridafun Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:18 am

Markwes wrote:This one is tough. I like the fact that homeowners are allowed to defend their turf without consequences, but he was on the phone with dispatchers who told him not to shoot. If he really feared for his life, fine, but I kind of doubt that he felt threatened by a 13 year old. I'm thinking it was more of a case of "I'll show you".

"The boys say they were begging for forgiveness when Gonzalez hit them with the barrel of the shotgun and kicked them repeatedly. Then, the medical examiner testified, Anguiano was shot in the back at close range. Two mashed Twinkies and some cookies were stuffed in the pockets of his shorts.

Another boy, Jesus Soto Jr., now 16, testified that Gonzalez ordered them at gunpoint to take Anguiano's body outside."

the killing was for fun, not for protection. the jury were just like the killer--redneck idiots.
floridafun
floridafun
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Female
Number of posts : 2519

Back to top Go down

Post  Markwes Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:21 am

floridafun wrote:
Markwes wrote:This one is tough. I like the fact that homeowners are allowed to defend their turf without consequences, but he was on the phone with dispatchers who told him not to shoot. If he really feared for his life, fine, but I kind of doubt that he felt threatened by a 13 year old. I'm thinking it was more of a case of "I'll show you".

"The boys say they were begging for forgiveness when Gonzalez hit them with the barrel of the shotgun and kicked them repeatedly. Then, the medical examiner testified, Anguiano was shot in the back at close range. Two mashed Twinkies and some cookies were stuffed in the pockets of his shorts.

Another boy, Jesus Soto Jr., now 16, testified that Gonzalez ordered them at gunpoint to take Anguiano's body outside."

the killing was for fun, not for protection. the jury were just like the killer--redneck idiots.
So you chose to quote me instead of Jugo? I said it was a tough one. confused
Markwes
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Mort Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:08 am

http://www.theindychannel.com/news/17576601/detail.html

INDIANAPOLIS -- A man who police said broke into a home with the intention of sexually assault a 17-year-old girl in her bedroom died early Sunday morning after a struggle with the girl's father

This is more like it Arrow
Mort
Mort
Admin
Admin

Male
Number of posts : 1400

https://therealboard.forumakers.com

Back to top Go down

Post  iberlingirl Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:29 am

Mort wrote:http://www.theindychannel.com/news/17576601/detail.html

INDIANAPOLIS -- A man who police said broke into a home with the intention of sexually assault a 17-year-old girl in her bedroom died early Sunday morning after a struggle with the girl's father

AMEN! I too would have killed him! One less offender on the streets!
iberlingirl
iberlingirl
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Female
Number of posts : 1185

Back to top Go down

Post  moondrop Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:51 am

No one killed anyone in this story, the rapist died of a heart attack. God took care of this one.

moondrop
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Female
Number of posts : 351

Back to top Go down

Post  moondrop Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:53 am

I believe all states should be like TX. Do not protect the criminals. Give homeowners more rights to protect what is theirs.
There would be less crimes if the would be criminals knew they could be killed or hurt.

moondrop
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Female

Back to top Go down

Post  floridafun Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:20 pm

Markwes wrote:
floridafun wrote:

So you chose to quote me instead of Jugo? I said it was a tough one. confused

i was agreeing with what you said and added the inserted comment and my further opinion. hard to imagine i know lol!
floridafun
floridafun
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Female
Number of posts : 2519

Back to top Go down

Post  Markwes Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:12 pm

floridafun wrote:

i was agreeing with what you said and added the inserted comment and my further opinion. hard to imagine i know lol!
That agreeing part must be what threw me off. Laughing
Markwes
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  iberlingirl Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:13 am

moondrop wrote:

No one killed anyone in this story, the rapist died of a heart attack. God took care of this one.
WRONG!!! Get your facts straight FOE!!!

http://www.wane.com/Global/story.asp?S=9095226&nav=menu32_1
a convicted sex offender who struggled with a father after entering a teenage girl's Indianapolis bedroom died of strangulation.
iberlingirl
iberlingirl
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Female

Back to top Go down

Post  LTRT Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:55 am

iberlingirl wrote:
moondrop wrote:

a convicted sex offender who struggled with a father after entering a teenage girl's Indianapolis bedroom died of strangulation.

At the time of these earlier postings no one knew how the man had died.

Police spokesman Sgt. Matthew Mount said Meyers had a heart condition and may have had a heart attack. An autopsy was planned.
http://www.journalgazette.net/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080929/NEWS07/809290293

But after the coroner's investigation and updated news articles, we now know. Thx, Iber for setting the record straight.
LTRT
LTRT
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3456

Back to top Go down

Post  iberlingirl Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:03 am

The article that I read (wane.com) said that it was strangulation or heart attack... my thinking was, if he wasn't choked to death, then the choking caused the heart attack, either way, the father killed the worthless piece of skin... As would I... One down, thousands to go, is my thinking.
And considering this suing happy ass country, watch one of his flippin' family member try and bring a suit against the father.
iberlingirl
iberlingirl
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Female

Back to top Go down

Post  moondrop Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:13 am

The very first report on 21 that morning was a heart attack, after the autopsy it was reported as strangulation which was contributed to heart disease problems.

iberlingirl wrote:
moondrop wrote:

moondrop
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Female

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down