The Real Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Homeowner Equity Is Lowest Since 1945

3 posters

Go down

Homeowner Equity Is Lowest Since 1945 Empty Homeowner Equity Is Lowest Since 1945

Post  Guest Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:50 pm

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20080306/D8V82V580.html

NEW YORK (AP) - Americans' percentage of equity in their homes fell below 50 percent for the first time on record since 1945, the Federal Reserve said Thursday.

Homeowners' portion of equity slipped to downwardly revised 49.6 percent in the second quarter of 2007, the central bank reported in its quarterly U.S. Flow of Funds Accounts, and declined further to 47.9 percent in the fourth quarter - the third straight quarter it was under 50 percent.

That marks the first time homeowners' debt on their houses exceeds their equity since the Fed started tracking the data in 1945.

The total value of equity also fell for the third straight quarter to $9.65 trillion from a downwardly revised $9.93 trillion in the third quarter.

According to the new tax assessments that came in the mail, I actually have about $3000 equity on my house. Wooohooo! Rolling Eyes
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Homeowner Equity Is Lowest Since 1945 Empty Re: Homeowner Equity Is Lowest Since 1945

Post  LTRT Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:47 pm

And I suppose this is all based on a 30 yr mortage right. Nothing over 15 for me, so I have bunches and bunches of equity in my home Very Happy
LTRT
LTRT
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3456

Back to top Go down

Homeowner Equity Is Lowest Since 1945 Empty Re: Homeowner Equity Is Lowest Since 1945

Post  Markwes Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:56 am

That's the way to do it. I refinanced and knocked 10 years off my mortgage. I can now look at my bill to compare principle paid against interest without crying.
Markwes
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3096

Back to top Go down

Post  LTRT Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:05 am

Markwes wrote:That's the way to do it. I refinanced and knocked 10 years off my mortgage. I can now look at my bill to compare principle paid against interest without crying.

What AMAZES me the most about this country is the mentality of people. They have 40 yr mortgages now and my boy had a gal who he works with take out a 84 mth loan on a Hyundia. Rolling Eyes
LTRT
LTRT
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3456

Back to top Go down

Post  Markwes Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:17 am

LTRT2 wrote:
Markwes wrote:That's the way to do it. I refinanced and knocked 10 years off my mortgage. I can now look at my bill to compare principle paid against interest without crying.

What AMAZES me the most about this country is the mentality of people. They have 40 yr mortgages now and my boy had a gal who he works with take out a 84 mth loan on a Hyundia. Rolling Eyes
I mentioned something about the 84 month loans on the JG board. So even if she keeps the car for 8 years, which is probably not the norm, and then trades it in for another new car with the same loan, she will always have a car payment. That's insane.
Markwes
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3096

Back to top Go down

Post  Scooby01_98 Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:25 pm

Were they really expecting not to have negative equity (sp) in homes when people take out mortgages with zero down, interest only loans, and then one or two home equity loans on top of that? Bankers were stupid, and congress was stupid for letting them.
Scooby01_98
Scooby01_98
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male
Number of posts : 1642

http://www.nola.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down