The Real Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dozens Of Call Center Workers Walk Off Job In Protest

4 posters

Go down

Dozens Of Call Center Workers Walk Off Job In Protest Empty Dozens Of Call Center Workers Walk Off Job In Protest

Post  Guest Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:29 pm

http://tpmelectioncentral.talkingpointsmemo.com/2008/10/dozens_of_call_center_workers.php

Dozens Of Call Center Workers Walk Off Job In Protest Rather Than Read McCain Script Attacking Obama
By Greg Sargent - October 27, 2008, 5:18PM

Some three dozen workers at a telemarketing call center in Indiana walked off the job rather than read an incendiary McCain campaign script attacking Barack Obama, according to two workers at the center and one of their parents.

Nina Williams, a stay-at-home mom in Lake County, Indiana, tells us that her daughter recently called her from her job at the center, upset that she had been asked to read a script attacking Obama for being "dangerously weak on crime," "coddling criminals," and for voting against "protecting children from danger."

Williams' daughter told her that up to 40 of her co-workers had refused to read the script, and had left the call center after supervisors told them that they would have to either read the call or leave, Williams says. The call center is called Americall, and it's located in Hobart, IN.

"They walked out," Williams says of her daughter and her co-workers, adding that they weren't fired but willingly sacrificed pay rather than read the lines. "They were told [by supervisors], `If you all leave, you're not gonna get paid for the rest of the day."

The daughter, who wanted her name withheld fearing retribution from her employer, confirmed the story to us. "It was like at least 40 people," the daughter said. "People thought the script was nasty and they didn't wanna read it."

A second worker at the call center confirmed the episode, saying that "at least 30" workers had walked out after refusing to read the script.

"We were asked to read something saying [Obama and Democrats] were against protecting children from danger," this worker said. "I wouldn't do it. A lot of people left. They thought it was disgusting."

This worker, too, confirmed sacrificing pay to walk out, saying her supervisor told her: "If you don't wanna phone it you can just go home for the day."

The script coincided with this robo-slime call running in other states, but because robocalling is illegal in Indiana it was being read by call center workers.

Representatives at Americall in Indiana, and at the company's corporate headquarters in Naperville, Illinois, didn't return calls for comment.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Dozens Of Call Center Workers Walk Off Job In Protest Empty Re: Dozens Of Call Center Workers Walk Off Job In Protest

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:06 pm

Cool! Maybe I can pick up some extra cash making those calls for them! Laughing Maybe I'll get lucky and get a chance to change the minds of some Obama Thumpers. Twisted Evil
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male
Number of posts : 4852

http://www.whodeyrevolution.com

Back to top Go down

Dozens Of Call Center Workers Walk Off Job In Protest Empty Re: Dozens Of Call Center Workers Walk Off Job In Protest

Post  Guest Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:19 am

Cincy Fan 44 wrote:Cool! Maybe I can pick up some extra cash making those calls for them! Laughing Maybe I'll get lucky and get a chance to change the minds of some Obama Thumpers. Twisted Evil

these calls aren't targeted at Obama Thumpers ... they are targeted at undecideds and republicans to try to whip up fear against Obama in that segment to drive them to the polls to vote AGAINST Obama rather than FOR McCain. Is anyone FOR McCain? Poor guy.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  LTRT Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:37 am

I guess they didn't need their job that bad, eh? Must being doing all right then to just walk off their job, wonder how many of them are driving Volvos? Twisted Evil
LTRT
LTRT
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3456

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:57 am

LTRT wrote:I guess they didn't need their job that bad, eh? Must being doing all right then to just walk off their job, wonder how many of them are driving Volvos? Twisted Evil

If you would have read, they did not lose their jobs but were told they would not be paid for that day.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  LTRT Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:03 am

meta4 wrote:
LTRT wrote:I guess they didn't need their job that bad, eh? Must being doing all right then to just walk off their job, wonder how many of them are driving Volvos? Twisted Evil

If you would have read, they did not lose their jobs but were told they would not be paid for that day.

You believe everything someone tells you? Laughing Come on, it's a call center...
LTRT
LTRT
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3456

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:03 am

Such a call center should not exists in the first place... damn I cant wait for the election to be over...
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Markwes Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:21 am

pez wrote:Such a call center should not exists in the first place... damn I cant wait for the election to be over...
I would agree if there was anything mentioned in their job description that said they didn't have to make a call that made them uncomfortable. I have doubts there was anything like that though.

This situation sounds strikingly familiar to a topic we discussed way back where a pharmacist refused to fill a prescription (morning after pill I believe?) because he was morally against it. I sure hope all the pro-choice posters who said he should be fired think the same in this case.
Markwes
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3096

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:30 am

Markwes wrote:
pez wrote:Such a call center should not exists in the first place... damn I cant wait for the election to be over...
I would agree if there was anything mentioned in their job description that said they didn't have to make a call that made them uncomfortable. I have doubts there was anything like that though.

This situation sounds strikingly familiar to a topic we discussed way back where a pharmacist refused to fill a prescription (morning after pill I believe?) because he was morally against it. I sure hope all the pro-choice posters who said he should be fired think the same in this case.

Actually Mark I agree with you ... if you work for a company you do the work they put in front of you and if you don't do that work you get fired. The Pharmacist should be fired and if these people choose to put their values before their employment and the business chooses to terminate them that is their perogative.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:31 am

Markwes wrote:

You've got to be kidding...

So if your employer asked you to do janitorial duties in addition to your current job duties you would probably do them but that's ... well, shitty.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:32 am

I still feel the same in this case as I did in the pharmacist case. Don't want to do the work? Lose your job. Simple as that. This is an employment at will state.

It does say a lot that people were willing to walk off the job for a cause.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:34 am

This example is different because this task is not in line with the call center's line of business. I'm guessing there is no business relationship between what the call center does on a daily basis and being paid to make commercials for a political candidate.

If these were government employees would THAT change the rules? What if it was FWCS?

What stops a gas station owner from asking employees to also work at his lawn care business picking up leaves?

I think forcing people to say or write something that could be slander or libel would be a crime.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:29 am

I understand what you're saying about job description. In the pharmacists case, its his job to prescribe drugs that are available legally to Americans.

In the call center's case, it would depend on what they were told upfront.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:34 am

Jugomugo wrote:I understand what you're saying about job description. In the pharmacists case, its his job to prescribe drugs that are available legally to Americans.

I think you got that turned around a bit. Pharmacists fill drugs prescribed by doctors... Wink
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male
Number of posts : 4852

http://www.whodeyrevolution.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:57 am

Cincy Fan 44 wrote:
Jugomugo wrote:I understand what you're saying about job description. In the pharmacists case, its his job to prescribe drugs that are available legally to Americans.

I think you got that turned around a bit. Pharmacists fill drugs prescribed by doctors... Wink

Yeah, that's what I meant.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Markwes Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:57 am

meta4 wrote:This example is different because this task is not in line with the call center's line of business. I'm guessing there is no business relationship between what the call center does on a daily basis and being paid to make commercials for a political candidate.

If these were government employees would THAT change the rules? What if it was FWCS?

What stops a gas station owner from asking employees to also work at his lawn care business picking up leaves?

I think forcing people to say or write something that could be slander or libel would be a crime.
My knowledge of call centers says there are 2 kinds - telemarketers and customer service. This one appears to be the former. If you are running a call center, it could be Sears or a political campaign, either way they want you to sell their product. That's what a telemarketer does - make phone calls and sell a product. A gas station owner asking employees to do work for his lawn care business is clearly going outside the boundaries of the job description.

On another note, personally I would be quite annoyed over getting one of these calls. The crud in the mail is bad enough. And to do it in Hobart which isn't all that far from Chicago is quite ballsy.
Markwes
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3096

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:01 pm

Dude... if you are employed at a call center you should walk off the job anyway, recognizing that on moral grounds no one wants to hear from you.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Canuck Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:01 pm

What's the big hubbub over this?
Obviously the company shows a high level of understanding towards these employees and offered them an alternate solution, which they took.
We can all theorize about the right and wrong of their actions.
Doesn't come down to the management to make that decision about what's right or wrong for their employees?

Who knows how this will end up in the future, maybe next week you might see on the news again they were all fired and maybe you might not.
Canuck
Canuck
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male
Number of posts : 1717

Back to top Go down

Post  Canuck Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:05 pm

pez wrote:Dude... if you are employed at a call center you should walk off the job anyway, recognizing that on moral grounds no one wants to hear from you.

I do feel bad for call centres employees, people are very rude to them.

I don't have it in me to be rude to them, I just politely tell them I am not interested.
Canuck
Canuck
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:11 pm

Canuck wrote:
pez wrote:Dude... if you are employed at a call center you should walk off the job anyway, recognizing that on moral grounds no one wants to hear from you.

I do feel bad for call centres employees, people are very rude to them.

I don't have it in me to be rude to them, I just politely tell them I am not interested.

I used to be that way, but so many of them have counter-scripts now and start asking 'when is a better time to call' etc etc... as soon as I establish it's a telemarketer, I hang up... no comment, no thank you, no niceties.

I consider it the most amicable solution for both parties... I end the call immediately without stress, they are able to get to their next task as quickly as possible.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Canuck Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:21 pm

I get calls from them mostly for trying to sell additional insurance.
I tell them I have enough and I am not interested.

In Canada they just established a Do Not Call registry, you sign up for it and they can't call you. A few exceptions to that.
Canuck
Canuck
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:24 pm

I hear you. I feel bad for the people who call my grandfather. He cusses them out and hangs up on them.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down