The Real Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Farm Workers Challenge: Take Our Jobs

5 posters

Go down

Farm Workers Challenge: Take Our Jobs Empty Farm Workers Challenge: Take Our Jobs

Post  Canuck Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:51 pm

This would be interesting to see how it plays out.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504763_162-20008571-10391704.html

SAN FRANCISCO - In a tongue-in-cheek call for immigration reform, farm workers are teaming up with comedian Stephen Colbert to challenge unemployed Americans: Come on, take our jobs.

Farm workers are tired of being blamed by politicians and anti-immigrant activists for taking work that should go to Americans and dragging down the economy, said Arturo Rodriguez, the president of the United Farm Workers of America.

So the group is encouraging the unemployed — and any Washington pundits or anti-immigrant activists who want to join them — to apply for the some of thousands of agricultural jobs being posted with state agencies as harvest season begins.
Canuck
Canuck
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male
Number of posts : 1717

Back to top Go down

Farm Workers Challenge: Take Our Jobs Empty Re: Farm Workers Challenge: Take Our Jobs

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:13 pm

I don't know about being "anti-immigration"...I'm just "anti-illegal immigration."
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male
Number of posts : 4852

http://www.whodeyrevolution.com

Back to top Go down

Farm Workers Challenge: Take Our Jobs Empty Re: Farm Workers Challenge: Take Our Jobs

Post  whoosieme Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:52 pm

As long as the workers are illegal the growers can pay crappy wages...the illegals havent a legal leg to stand on hence the growers get by with not following US wage guidelines. If all the illegals became legal tomorrow the growers would fire them and seek new recruits of illegals who will work for below legal wages.
How much do you think a pint of strawberries would cost you if the workers were paid a living wage???

whoosieme
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Number of posts : 110

Back to top Go down

Post  floridafun Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:29 pm

but the point of the post and of the actions is...which laid off people will go do the migrant work at the rate of pay the current migrants get. i am guessing none.
floridafun
floridafun
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Female
Number of posts : 2519

Back to top Go down

Post  whoosieme Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:11 pm

I wouldnt do that work for all the money in the world!!!! Bent over in the hot sun for hours one end??? Truth be told i dont think many of us would last a day....

whoosieme
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Number of posts : 110

Back to top Go down

Post  Scooby01_98 Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:31 pm

I agree many Americans might not do the job at the price of the illegals. However, I believe quite a few want to come here legally on visas to do the work that they can't get because of the illegals.
Scooby01_98
Scooby01_98
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male
Number of posts : 1642

http://www.nola.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down