The Real Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Granny sells baseball card for $64K

3 posters

Go down

Granny sells baseball card for $64K Empty Granny sells baseball card for $64K

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:26 pm

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big_league_stew/post/Baseball-granny-cashes-in-big-with-sale-of-rare-?urn=mlb,140821

Remember Bernice Gallego? The lady who found an 1869 Cincinnati Red Stockings card in her attic, put it up for sale on eBay with a starting price of $10 and then pulled it down after realizing it might be worth much more?

Turns out Gallego's hunch was right. After a three-week online auction, the Fresno resident sold what is believed to be one of history's first baseball cards for $64,073.

Not a bad paycheck for some spring cleaning.

The sale ended a whirlwind month for Gallego, who attracted an avalanche of attention on the front page of Yahoo!, the New York Times and other outlets across the country. Her popularity soared even further in late January, when she appeared on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno and revealed that this wasn't her first instance of blind luck. She once won $250,000 from a slot machine in Nevada.

Gallego embraced all the attention and kept a wicked sense of humor throughout the process, as evidenced by her first public remarks after the auction ended on Tuesday.

From the Fresno Bee:

"I'm so happy for the card. Oh and for me too, of course," said Gallego on Tuesday night. "I had hoped to bail out California from this financial emergency, but it didn't quite get that far. But maybe it'll bail out my credit cards."

Jeffrey Rosenberg of Tristar Productions was the winner of the auction. He runs an autograph show business and plans to display the card at shows around the country.

Contrary to what you might think, my name is not Jeffrey Rosenberg. Laughing
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male
Number of posts : 4852

http://www.whodeyrevolution.com

Back to top Go down

Granny sells baseball card for $64K Empty Re: Granny sells baseball card for $64K

Post  LTRT Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:35 pm

Cincy Fan 44 wrote:Contrary to what you might think, my name is not Jeffrey Rosenberg. Laughing

Ok, I see, it's that long lost brother you've failed to mention Suspect Razz
LTRT
LTRT
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3456

Back to top Go down

Granny sells baseball card for $64K Empty Re: Granny sells baseball card for $64K

Post  floridafun Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:18 am

she sounds like a fun and feisty person lol!
floridafun
floridafun
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Female
Number of posts : 2519

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down