The Real Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welfare for Freed Gitmo Detainees?

4 posters

Go down

Welfare for Freed Gitmo Detainees? Empty Welfare for Freed Gitmo Detainees?

Post  LTRT Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:54 pm

Terror inmates may be released in US: intel chief
http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=CNG.18e9e5692442aa61d7510553b5ffc14e.e01&show_article=1

Welfare for Freed Gitmo Detainees?
http://www.weeklystandard.com/weblogs/TWSFP/2009/03/welfare_for_freed_gitmo_detain.asp

During his news conference, Blair also said the Obama administration is still wrestling with what to do with the remaining 240 detainees at the Guantanamo Bay Naval Base, which the president has ordered closed.

Some of the detainees, deemed non-threatening, may be released into the United States as free men, Blair confirmed.

That would happen when they can't be returned to their home countries, because the governments either won't take them or the U.S. fears they will be abused or tortured. That is the case with 17 Uighurs (WEE'-gurz), Chinese Muslim separatists who were cleared for release from the jail long ago. The U.S. can't find a country willing to take them, and it will not turn them over to China.

Blair said the former prisoners would have [to] get some sort of assistance to start their new lives in the United States.

“We can't put them out on the street,” he said.

While you're at it give them a job, house, car and what's behind door #3 Rolling Eyes
LTRT
LTRT
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3456

Back to top Go down

Welfare for Freed Gitmo Detainees? Empty Re: Welfare for Freed Gitmo Detainees?

Post  floridafun Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:54 am

the us gov destroyed their lives and owes them nothing in return?
floridafun
floridafun
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Female
Number of posts : 2519

Back to top Go down

Post  Scooby01_98 Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:01 am

Didn't destroy their lives too much if their own country doesn't want them back. Hmmmm, maybe they are guilty..... Twisted Evil
Scooby01_98
Scooby01_98
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male
Number of posts : 1642

http://www.nola.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:48 am

Seriously, this could be an opportunity for the "emerging" GOP... the kinder gentler party which is interested in rebuilding peoples lives they've ruined.

R O F L
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Markwes Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:10 am

meta4 wrote:Seriously, this could be an opportunity for the "emerging" GOP... the kinder gentler party which is interested in rebuilding peoples lives they've ruined.

R O F L
How is the GOP going to affect anything if they aren't in charge? Or are you just making a funny?
Markwes
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3096

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:34 pm

Markwes wrote:
meta4 wrote:Seriously, this could be an opportunity for the "emerging" GOP... the kinder gentler party which is interested in rebuilding peoples lives they've ruined.

R O F L
How is the GOP going to affect anything if they aren't in charge? Or are you just making a funny?

Well, note the absence of smilies in that last post.

Perhaps they could start by picking up the phone and making a few calls to friends who have rental properties or put together some connections in section 8 housing. IMO, They could do at least as much for these refugees as for people in the witness protection program. I'm not talking about the ones who are not allowed to return to their homeland. I'm talking about people who will be killed if they return, maybe a few hundred people at the most.

Why must "they" be "in charge" in order to get something done?

S-ok, I'm sure they'll just wait for a Democrat to propose this and then pick up a rock.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Markwes Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:19 pm

meta4 wrote:
Markwes wrote:

R O F L

Perhaps they could start by picking up the phone and making a few calls to friends who have rental properties or put together some connections in section 8 housing. IMO, They could do at least as much for these refugees as for people in the witness protection program. I'm not talking about the ones who are not allowed to return to their homeland. I'm talking about people who will be killed if they return, maybe a few hundred people at the most.

S-ok, I'm sure they'll just wait for a Democrat to propose this and then pick up a rock.
I guess you've got me confused. Your statement referred to the party, and your use of "they" indicates you are not suggesting that an individual Congressman should propose this. Any kind of assistance would have to be voted in by Congress, so whoever proposes it really isn't relevant. If anything, the Democrats would get credit (or blame) since they control the majority. And I'm trying to figure out how they know a refugee would be killed if sent back to their homeland, but I suppose that's another discussion.
Markwes
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3096

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:42 pm

Markwes wrote:
meta4 wrote:
Markwes wrote:

R O F L

I guess you've got me confused. Your statement referred to the party, and your use of "they" indicates you are not suggesting that an individual Congressman should propose this. Any kind of assistance would have to be voted in by Congress, so whoever proposes it really isn't relevant. If anything, the Democrats would get credit (or blame) since they control the majority. And I'm trying to figure out how they know a refugee would be killed if sent back to their homeland, but I suppose that's another discussion.

I think I understand where you're coming from and my last few posts have been cheeky remarks.

My claim is that these detainees will not receive help from any GOP party member because it's not their style. If it were, we might be hearing music by The Scorpions (Winds of Change). I would challenge someone to show significant initiative by any GOP to champion any humanitarian causes. I wonder why that is. Another thing I meant to stress is that this "help" doesn't necessarily need to be legislated - and your responses seem to indicate that congress either can't or won't "do" anything aside from legislation.

As far as finding a way to determine whether or not someone would be killed, why try? Isn't the threat of persecution whether or not it includes killing the refugee enough?

That said, I'm more than a little confused why the word "they", in reference to GOP party members, scrambles your egg! Very Happy
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down