The Real Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Supreme Court Justice Sotomayor

+2
Cincy Fan 44
Scooby01_98
6 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

New Supreme Court Justice Sotomayor Empty New Supreme Court Justice Sotomayor

Post  Guest Tue May 26, 2009 12:42 pm

CNN is calling her a moderate liberal ... I hope she is EXTREMELY activist of offset the activist Scalia, Alito and Thomas.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

New Supreme Court Justice Sotomayor Empty Re: New Supreme Court Justice Sotomayor

Post  Scooby01_98 Tue May 26, 2009 12:53 pm

Bman wrote:CNN is calling her a moderate liberal ... I hope she is EXTREMELY activist of offset the activist Scalia, Alito and Thomas.

You say they are activist but can you give me one case where they actually ruled as activist?

Remember under there court they ruled giving the detainees rights under the constitution, they ruled giving those detainees right to a trial. So really what have they been so activist about that you disagree with?
Scooby01_98
Scooby01_98
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male
Number of posts : 1642

http://www.nola.com

Back to top Go down

New Supreme Court Justice Sotomayor Empty Re: New Supreme Court Justice Sotomayor

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Tue May 26, 2009 12:56 pm

Saw that she went to a Catholic school growing up (not sure what her religion is though)...so I'm sure in some people's minds she should be stricken down immediately...

Now that I've heard (and read) that she helped end the baseball strike in 1995, I seem to remember her name a little, because it reminds me of former Reds pitching great (at least for about 4 years) Mario Soto...
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male
Number of posts : 4852

http://www.whodeyrevolution.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Pez Tue May 26, 2009 1:07 pm

there are no activist judges...

Pez
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male
Number of posts : 1979

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue May 26, 2009 1:14 pm

Cincy Fan 44 wrote:Saw that she went to a Catholic school growing up (not sure what her religion is though)...so I'm sure in some people's minds she should be stricken down immediately...

I wouldn't say she should be stricken merely for this, but to examine her motives, devotion, and the extent at circumstances at which she may have been perceived as diverting from said attributes in light of that denomination, absolutely. Just as any Episcopalian, Lutheran, Methodist, or Unitarian, et. al. would be.

She should be vetted fairly, and with dignity.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue May 26, 2009 1:38 pm

What's her stance on Abortion? Has she ever tried a case dealing with the "A" word?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue May 26, 2009 1:43 pm

Pez wrote:there are no activist judges...

Depending on ones view of the constitution. I am sure I don't see Breyer, Stevens and Sotomayor as activist, just upholding the law where as I see Scalia, Thomas and Alito as activist trying to keep rights away from people and take away from others. I think the whole activist word and name calling trying to incite the other.

From what I read, she seems like a very "open" minded and empathetic future judge.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Tue May 26, 2009 2:11 pm

Bman wrote:

Depending on ones view of the constitution. I am sure I don't see Breyer, Stevens and Sotomayor as activist, just upholding the law where as I see Scalia, Thomas and Alito as activist trying to keep rights away from people and take away from others. I think the whole activist word and name calling trying to incite the other.

From what I read, she seems like a very "open" minded and empathetic future judge.
What about the case of the firefighters and that exam? Admittedly, I don't know much about it, but I'll be looking it up more. I want to know if the test they took that she ruled against b/c she thought it was set up so that Blacks would fail...was something that everyone agreed upon beforehand or not. Seems to me it could be a case where if she was an umpire and a white guy was pitching vs. a black guy pitching, the black guy would get pitches called strikes that are 6 inches off the plate just b/c he's a black guy, whereas the white guy better make sure his pitches are over the plate if he wants any chance of them being called a strike.
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue May 26, 2009 2:17 pm

Cincy Fan 44 wrote:
Bman wrote:

What about the case of the firefighters and that exam? Admittedly, I don't know much about it, but I'll be looking it up more. I want to know if the test they took that she ruled against b/c she thought it was set up so that Blacks would fail...was something that everyone agreed upon beforehand or not. Seems to me it could be a case where if she was an umpire and a white guy was pitching vs. a black guy pitching, the black guy would get pitches called strikes that are 6 inches off the plate just b/c he's a black guy, whereas the white guy better make sure his pitches are over the plate if he wants any chance of them being called a strike.

I *think* from what I have read that she sided with the City on that case and said the test was fair ... I think.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Pez Tue May 26, 2009 2:39 pm

Cincy Fan 44 wrote:
Bman wrote:

It wasn't like that... the city implemented a standardized testing program for firefighters that were due to receive a promotion, and made that test part of the requirements for being promoted (along with other requirements, Like time served etc). The city administered the tests, looked at the results and then realized that the result was that no black people were promoted, so the city threw it out. I think it's reverse discrimination to throw it out, but the city doesnt have a choice anymore... they had a choice before these decided to use the standardized tests.

Pez
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male
Number of posts : 1979

Back to top Go down

Post  floridafun Tue May 26, 2009 3:56 pm

meta4 wrote:What's her stance on Abortion? Has she ever tried a case dealing with the "A" word?

after you google that could you post what you learn? Basketball

i dont know whether she agrees that women should have the option of a safe legal abortion, or if she prefers they have illegal abortions. it wont affect the choice to abort either way. it will just affect the safety and the ability to track the numbers.
floridafun
floridafun
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Female
Number of posts : 2519

Back to top Go down

Post  LTRT Tue May 26, 2009 6:54 pm

Real top notch...
LTRT
LTRT
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3456

Back to top Go down

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Tue May 26, 2009 7:14 pm

By the way, by the title of this thread, WHEN did they confirm her already??? Razz
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  floridafun Tue May 26, 2009 7:32 pm

LTRT wrote:

Real top notch...

so she misspoke and laughed at herself about it. i doubt something you would do, but it kinda happens to alot of folks. i think there will be a clear division among the neocons and the other republicans here. could be very telling for the 2010 elections.

aaaand beats harriet myers who didnt misspeak exactly..she just didnt know crap about what they were asking her about..?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harriet_Miers
floridafun
floridafun
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Female
Number of posts : 2519

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue May 26, 2009 9:31 pm

LTRT wrote:

Real top notch...

My only hope is is that I hope she is the deciding vote on some issues that push people like you LTRT and Kroman over the top and maybe you will move to Texas and cede with them.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  LTRT Tue May 26, 2009 9:36 pm

Bman wrote:My only hope is is that I hope she is the deciding vote on some issues that push people like you LTRT and Kroman over the top and maybe you will move to Texas and cede with them.

'only hope', wow...gave up on the boss already... Laughing
LTRT
LTRT
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue May 26, 2009 9:38 pm

LTRT wrote:
Bman wrote:My only hope is is that I hope she is the deciding vote on some issues that push people like you LTRT and Kroman over the top and maybe you will move to Texas and cede with them.

'only hope', wow...gave up on the boss already... Laughing

Nah Barack is delivering ... that is why you and Kroman sound so stressed and childish.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  LTRT Tue May 26, 2009 9:41 pm

Bman wrote:Nah Barack is delivering ...

On what, driving the country into the ground?

Bman wrote:...that is why you and Kroman sound so stressed and childish.

Now that one gave a me the laugh of the day.
LTRT
LTRT
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Fri May 29, 2009 10:31 am

From Mike McConnell's blog on 700 WLW...

We've heard both the President and his Supreme Court nominee Sonia Sotomayor saying you should take empathy into account when making a judicial decision. Problem is, that flies directly in the face of the law. For example, check out the rules for jury instruction in the state of Ohio:

GENERAL INSTRUCTION

Consider all the evidence and make your findings with intelligence and impartiality without bias, sympathy and prejudice so that the plaintiff(s) and the defendant(s) will feel their case was fairly and impartially tried.

You must not be influenced by any consideration of sympathy or prejudice. Sympathy is a common human experience and the law does not expect you to be free from such normal reactions. However, the law requires you to disregard sympathy and not permit it to influence your verdict. You should treat each party with equal consideration[, whether that party is an individual or a business].

It is your duty to weigh the evidence carefully, to decide all the disputed questions of fact, to apply the instructions of the judge to your findings and to render your verdict accordingly. In fulfilling your duty as jurors, your efforts must be to arrive at a fair and just verdict.
I think Mike brings up an excellent point. Empathy and sympathy are essentially synonyms. And here we have BOTH the president and the SC nominee saying that empathy should be taken into account. Does that make sense??? It's NOT the Supreme Pity Court...
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri May 29, 2009 10:38 am

Cincy Fan 44 wrote:From Mike McConnell's blog on 700 WLW...

We've heard both the President and his Supreme Court nominee Sonia Sotomayor saying you should take empathy into account when making a judicial decision. Problem is, that flies directly in the face of the law. For example, check out the rules for jury instruction in the state of Ohio:

GENERAL INSTRUCTION

Consider all the evidence and make your findings with intelligence and impartiality without bias, sympathy and prejudice so that the plaintiff(s) and the defendant(s) will feel their case was fairly and impartially tried.

You must not be influenced by any consideration of sympathy or prejudice. Sympathy is a common human experience and the law does not expect you to be free from such normal reactions. However, the law requires you to disregard sympathy and not permit it to influence your verdict. You should treat each party with equal consideration[, whether that party is an individual or a business].

It is your duty to weigh the evidence carefully, to decide all the disputed questions of fact, to apply the instructions of the judge to your findings and to render your verdict accordingly. In fulfilling your duty as jurors, your efforts must be to arrive at a fair and just verdict.
I think Mike brings up an excellent point. Empathy and sympathy are essentially synonyms. And here we have BOTH the president and the SC nominee saying that empathy should be taken into account. Does that make sense??? It's NOT the Supreme Pity Court...

That's funny. I read "take it into account" and these expounded instructions to jurors to be synonymous. "Take into account when making a judicial decision", doesn't (to me at least) mean "Use empathy/sympathy to arrive at a decision" it means 'be aware' of it's effect on logical judgment.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Fri May 29, 2009 10:47 am

Interesting point Meta. I'd sure like some clarification from Sotomayor when the confirmation hearings are going on.
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri May 29, 2009 11:01 am

Cincy Fan 44 wrote:Interesting point Meta. I'd sure like some clarification from Sotomayor when the confirmation hearings are going on.

Agreed. However, there's a good chance she'll read this post by that time and change her position.

lol!

I recall hearing that word "empathy" on NPR but I cannot recall the exact context verbatim so as to make a direct conclusion that she said she will consider empathy in arriving at her decisions. I think the translation in "common tongue" is that she will be empathetic, perhaps in the helping to select which cases to hear. For example, since they're touting her heritage - the suggestion being that Hispanics will have a more sympathetic ear on the court for cases related to their specific cultural background.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Fri May 29, 2009 11:08 am

meta4 wrote:
Cincy Fan 44 wrote:Interesting point Meta. I'd sure like some clarification from Sotomayor when the confirmation hearings are going on.

Agreed. However, there's a good chance she'll read this post by that time and change her position.

lol!

I recall hearing that word "empathy" on NPR but I cannot recall the exact context verbatim so as to make a direct conclusion that she said she will consider empathy in arriving at her decisions. I think the translation in "common tongue" is that she will be empathetic, perhaps in the helping to select which cases to hear. For example, since they're touting her heritage - the suggestion being that Hispanics will have a more sympathetic ear on the court for cases related to their specific cultural background.
But even then...da law's da law. If a Hispanic is in the wrong, I want a judge to say so, not a judge who says, "Well, you know, they've lived a hard life and I know what that is like, and I know they killed that person, but they've had a hard life, so the sentence will only be probation."

Please forgive the ambiguitous hypothetical situation I just described. It was only off the top of my head...
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Fri May 29, 2009 11:09 am

By the way, which username is Sotomayor posting under??? New Supreme Court Justice Sotomayor 864173
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri May 29, 2009 11:56 am

Cincy Fan 44 wrote:By the way, which username is Sotomayor posting under??? New Supreme Court Justice Sotomayor 864173

National Politics is one of the topics that is viewable by guests. New Supreme Court Justice Sotomayor 864173
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next