The Real Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Retail sales up 2.7%

+3
LTRT
Fighter59
Pez
7 posters

Go down

Retail sales up 2.7% Empty Retail sales up 2.7%

Post  Pez Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:54 pm

Associated Press... The Commerce Department said retail sales climbed 2.7 percent after declining 0.2 percent in July. It was the biggest monthly advance since January 2006 and well above expectations on Wall Street for a 2 percent increase.

"Retail sales show the recovery is here. This wasn't just autos, it wasn't just gasoline. This was the U.S. consumer getting out of their foxhole," said T.J. Marta, market strategist at Marta on the Markets in Scotch Plains, New Jersey. "This is indisputably a good number."

Wow... 2.7% I dont think anyone expected that... bernanke is saying the recession is over, I'm still pretty skeptical.

Pez
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male
Number of posts : 1979

Back to top Go down

Retail sales up 2.7% Empty Re: Retail sales up 2.7%

Post  Fighter59 Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:35 pm

Retail sales always jump in August, it's when kids go back to school.
Fighter59
Fighter59
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Male
Number of posts : 58

Back to top Go down

Post  LTRT Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:38 pm

I suspect we'll hear how dismal the numbers are come Christmas shopping time.
LTRT
LTRT
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3456

Back to top Go down

Post  Scooby01_98 Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:17 pm

I would be more interested in next months direction. This month (Aug) had the cash for clunkers program that made up 1.6% of the 2.7, back to school. etc. I do think without those two drivers it would have still been up but less than 1%.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090915/bs_nm/us_usa_economy;_ylt=AsJrWTi89om2VDpO5ag7wIe573QA;_ylu=X3oDMTJrZzMxZTE1BGFzc2V0A25tLzIwMDkwOTE1L3VzX3VzYV9lY29ub215BHBvcwM0BHNlYwN5bl9wYWdpbmF0ZV9zdW1tYXJ5X2xpc3QEc2xrA3VzcmV0YWlsc2FsZQ--

Consumer spending normally accounts for about 70 percent of U.S. economic activity, with retail sales making up a third of that. Excluding motor vehicles and parts, sales jumped 1.1 percent in August after falling 0.5 percent in July.

Last edited by Scooby01_98 on Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:20 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : add link)
Scooby01_98
Scooby01_98
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male
Number of posts : 1642

http://www.nola.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Pez Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:46 pm

I too would be interested to see if this can be sustained..... I would also like to see the job numbers turn the corner also... I doubt we will see that until late fall...

Pez
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  LTRT Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:11 pm

Pez wrote:I too would be interested to see if this can be sustained..... I would also like to see the job numbers turn the corner also... I doubt we will see that until late fall...

Watch in a couple of months, everyone will be singing praises for all the hiring. As if we'd be naive enough not to realize the extra hiring is attributed to what's done yearly for the shopping season. santa
LTRT
LTRT
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3456

Back to top Go down

Post  iberlingirl Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:14 pm

Pez wrote:
Associated Press... The Commerce Department said retail sales climbed 2.7 percent after declining 0.2 percent in July. It was the biggest monthly advance since January 2006 and well above expectations on Wall Street for a 2 percent increase.

"Retail sales show the recovery is here. This wasn't just autos, it wasn't just gasoline. This was the U.S. consumer getting out of their foxhole," said T.J. Marta, market strategist at Marta on the Markets in Scotch Plains, New Jersey. "This is indisputably a good number."

Wow... 2.7% I dont think anyone expected that... bernanke is saying the recession is over, I'm still pretty skeptical.
You are better than I. I am a show me the money/proof/goods... my gut says we are not close to this being over.
iberlingirl
iberlingirl
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Female
Number of posts : 1185

Back to top Go down

Post  floridafun Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:35 pm

med and pharm had a good year..no recession there far as profits. altho even with their soaring profits i heard during the cencure-joe wilson discussions and voting on c-span today that eli lilly is laying off boatloads of folks.
floridafun
floridafun
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Female
Number of posts : 2519

Back to top Go down

Post  Pez Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:05 am

LTRT wrote:
Pez wrote:I too would be interested to see if this can be sustained..... I would also like to see the job numbers turn the corner also... I doubt we will see that until late fall...

Watch in a couple of months, everyone will be singing praises for all the hiring. As if we'd be naive enough not to realize the extra hiring is attributed to what's done yearly for the shopping season. santa

I respect your point, but the 2.7% was clearly far above expectations, which would have taken the C4C and seasonal back to school spending into account... I dont think it's naive to suggest that this is indeed positive news for the economy. As you said, it will be interesting to see this sustained, but 2.7% is greater than what was expected, and there is no pro-obama media bias at work here... consumer spending made the biggest advance in 2.5 years... we had back to school spending and other seasonal spending then.

Pez
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:44 am

Pez, many on here will NEVER accept any good news without a complaint.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Markwes Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:43 pm

Bman wrote:Pez, many on here will NEVER accept any good news without a complaint.
I accept it. But I would like to see some consistent growth before I declare the recession over.
Markwes
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3096

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:45 am

Bman wrote:Pez, many on here will NEVER accept any good news without a complaint.

Judge Judy.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Pez Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:48 am

Markwes wrote:
I accept it. But I would like to see some consistent growth before I declare the recession over.

Agree here... I think Bernanke remarks were pretty premature...

Pez
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Fighter59 Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:11 am

Maybe some people are realists.
Fighter59
Fighter59
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Pez Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:10 pm

Fighter59 wrote:

A realist would not have stated that retail sales always go up in august... the point is that retail sales exceeded expectations, which would Have already taken such seasonal spending into account (same thing I replied to you about before).

You are at one end of the political spectrum and I am likely far to the other, but that doesnt mean I dont enjoy a friendly discourse... but when you revive a thread that has been dead for a week for no other purpose than to insult bman, you arent adding anything whatsoever to such discourse. Especially since you already stated your unrealistic expectations that this 2.7% increase in consumer speending is just people buying books and pencils.

Chill man... there's no reason this cant be fun.

Pez
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Fighter59 Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:58 pm

Pez wrote:
Fighter59 wrote:

A realist would not have stated that retail sales always go up in august... the point is that retail sales exceeded expectations, which would Have already taken such seasonal spending into account (same thing I replied to you about before).

You are at one end of the political spectrum and I am likely far to the other, but that doesnt mean I dont enjoy a friendly discourse... but when you revive a thread that has been dead for a week for no other purpose than to insult bman, you arent adding anything whatsoever to such discourse. Especially since you already stated your unrealistic expectations that this 2.7% increase in consumer speending is just people buying books and pencils.

Chill man... there's no reason this cant be fun.

I don't understand how stating the obvious is a complaint. A lot more goes into getting ready for school than books and pencils. (clothes, sports equipment, shoes, etc) It's obvious you don't have children. We dropped over $1,000 extra in the month of August. If you don't think that has an impact to the economy, so be it. Perhaps I'm not unrealistic since I'm speaking from experience.

Bman is a big boy, he doesn't need you running to his rescue.
Fighter59
Fighter59
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Pez Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:11 pm

that's cool... I didnt think you were reading my posts... lemme bullet it out...

- analysts expected consumer spending to rise in august, by a number that was less than 2.7%
- these analysts base these rises on past data, therefor their analysis must have included the back to school figure
- since the 2.7% was greater than expected, I viewed it as positive news, rather than the typical back to school spending
- if it was typical back to school spending, it would not have exceeded expectations

You must understand that you are asking me to believe that these analysts who generate these expectations every year are not smart enough to account for back to school spending. I respect your opinion, but I am having a hard time seeing your opinion as logical, well thought out and free from bias.

Throughout the thread, I have tempered this information such that I was not cheerleading... I too wish to see it sustained, but to dismiss it out of hand because it's 'just the usual back to school spending' is asking a bit much... Consider also that if I am being deceived by this 2.7% number, investors have been deceived into buying stock also... as the DJIA was already at a 7 month high and this news propelled it further.

Everyone is a fool but Fighter59?

Pez
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down