The Real Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

June 19th random food question

+2
Cincy Fan 44
Shopaholic
6 posters

Go down

June 19th random food question Empty June 19th random food question

Post  Shopaholic Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:12 pm

When you eat out, do you usually do fast food or sit down? And if it's sit down, do you do local or chain?

If we eat out, it's usually fast food Rolling Eyes Chipotle, Arby's and Subway or Wendy's.

However, on a Father's Day whim, we stopped by Smokey Bones with son's safe food on hand. Didn't even need it, they helped us find safe alternatives for his allergies cheers I'm not thrilled with some of their menu changes since they were sold, but at least we can occassionally go out to eat and someone serves ME food for a change Very Happy
Shopaholic
Shopaholic
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Female
Number of posts : 464

Back to top Go down

June 19th random food question Empty Re: June 19th random food question

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:17 pm

Right now, it's the fast food more often than not, because with 3 little ones, it's hard to go to a nice 'sit down' place with them. I will say this though, Cebolla's is a good alternative to fast food joints. Chips come out almost instantaneously, and the regular food is served pretty quickly too. Plus, it's generally a loud place anyway, so having kids there isn't a big deal.
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male
Number of posts : 4852

http://www.whodeyrevolution.com

Back to top Go down

Post  LTRT Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:22 pm

We always choose sit down over fast food. Very rarely do fast food, if I do it's lunch only. I cannot remember the last time fast food was my dinner/supper/last meal of the day or current term. Wink
LTRT
LTRT
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3456

Back to top Go down

Post  Shopaholic Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:33 pm

LTRT wrote:We always choose sit down over fast food. Very rarely do fast food, if I do it's lunch only. I cannot remember the last time fast food was my dinner/supper/last meal of the day or current term. Wink

If we do eat out, it's almost always lunch as well. Thankfully, I can usually score something more "healthy" given our limited options. Defining "healthy" as not swimming in grease, nasty fried food. The kids get something like chicken tacos or a ham and turkey sub or roast beef sammy (hold the bun! for my son) with fruit. I carry a bag stocked with fruit options as well. Water or milk to drink. So it doesn't bother me too much if we do have to have to eat out.
Shopaholic
Shopaholic
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Female

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:45 pm

Cincy Fan 44 wrote:Right now, it's the fast food more often than not, because with 3 little ones, it's hard to go to a nice 'sit down' place with them. I will say this though, Cebolla's is a good alternative to fast food joints. Chips come out almost instantaneously, and the regular food is served pretty quickly too. Plus, it's generally a loud place anyway, so having kids there isn't a big deal.

Did you know..

One of my coworkers heard this story from the Police Officer that responded to the call. The Cebolla's on Fernhill got a citation not too long ago because one of the patrons saw one of the kitchen staff dragging a large carcass in through the back door. She then called the police. The PO shows up, and a few people in the kitchen were butchering a deer which had been found on the side of the road. The owner came out and said that it was for "personal use". They received a citation from the board of health or whoever does those...
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  LTRT Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:50 pm

meta4 wrote:Did you know..

One of my coworkers heard this story from the Police Officer that responded to the call. The Cebolla's on Fernhill got a citation not too long ago because one of the patrons saw one of the kitchen staff dragging a large carcass in through the back door. She then called the police. The PO shows up, and a few people in the kitchen were butchering a deer which had been found on the side of the road. The owner came out and said that it was for "personal use". They received a citation from the board of health or whoever does those...

So that wasn't chicken in my enchilada? scratch Laughing
LTRT
LTRT
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3456

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:54 pm

LTRT wrote:
meta4 wrote:Did you know..

So that wasn't chicken in my enchilada? scratch Laughing

Maybe it was Doe in your carne asada? lol!
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:58 pm

meta4 wrote:
Did you know..

I did not know that. That's it though, I'm staying home now.
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:59 pm

Cincy Fan 44 wrote:I did not know that. That's it though, I'm staying home now.

Aww c'mon... Las Lomas is better anyhow Wink
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:04 pm

meta4 wrote:
Cincy Fan 44 wrote:I did not know that. That's it though, I'm staying home now.

Aww c'mon... Las Lomas is better anyhow Wink
If I can rip the tin foil hat off my head, maybe I'll give it a try... Laughing
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:11 pm

BTW Shop, thanks for letting us know that Smokey Bones went out of their way to help you out with your situation. Renews my faith in restaurants!
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:02 pm

Usually sit down ... Cincy is right, Cebolla's is creepy fast. One night I swear I placed my order, the girl brought me my drink and within the time she walked back to the kitchen she was bringing my food out. I have come to the conclusion that they must have several of their most purchased meals already sitting there waiting on an order ... i.e. fajita's, certain burritos ... it was REALLY fast.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Shopaholic Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:35 pm

Cincy Fan 44 wrote:BTW Shop, thanks for letting us know that Smokey Bones went out of their way to help you out with your situation. Renews my faith in restaurants!

I was a little uncertain at first, but outside of our vacation to Disney in February this was the first sit down restaurant we've ordered for him at. The waiter was very nice and immediately got the manager and the mngr seemed very familiar with the food. He said they also have another little boy with allergies that comes in often.

As long as I am giving a shout out to helpful restaurants...Arby's on Coliseum across from Glenbrook. The older lady that works the front counter at lunch. She is OUTSTANDING. She remembers us and it so friendly. She makes sure that they use fresh gloves to prepare my son's roast beef (the bun has milk, so he can't have that). I always am thanking her profusely and she makes me feel like it's no extra trouble and that it's just part of their responsibility to their customer. She's gotten me choked up on several occassions.

And also, the Subway on Dupont by Scott's. My hubby knows the owner, but they are always so awsome. The remember us and there have been times where they have already all had fresh gloves on ready to make his wrap by the time we get in the door. Outstanding service!

Last but not least, both Chipotles. We've only been to the JP once, more often to Coliseum. My hubby usually does the ordering while we snag a seat, but says they are very nice and the manager has been very helpful on many occassions.

So there. My recent happy customer service moments Very Happy
Shopaholic
Shopaholic
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Female

Back to top Go down

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:14 pm

Shopaholic wrote:
Cincy Fan 44 wrote:BTW Shop, thanks for letting us know that Smokey Bones went out of their way to help you out with your situation. Renews my faith in restaurants!

I was a little uncertain at first, but outside of our vacation to Disney in February this was the first sit down restaurant we've ordered for him at. The waiter was very nice and immediately got the manager and the mngr seemed very familiar with the food. He said they also have another little boy with allergies that comes in often.

As long as I am giving a shout out to helpful restaurants...Arby's on Coliseum across from Glenbrook. The older lady that works the front counter at lunch. She is OUTSTANDING. She remembers us and it so friendly. She makes sure that they use fresh gloves to prepare my son's roast beef (the bun has milk, so he can't have that). I always am thanking her profusely and she makes me feel like it's no extra trouble and that it's just part of their responsibility to their customer. She's gotten me choked up on several occassions.

And also, the Subway on Dupont by Scott's. My hubby knows the owner, but they are always so awsome. The remember us and there have been times where they have already all had fresh gloves on ready to make his wrap by the time we get in the door. Outstanding service!

Last but not least, both Chipotles. We've only been to the JP once, more often to Coliseum. My hubby usually does the ordering while we snag a seat, but says they are very nice and the manager has been very helpful on many occassions.

So there. My recent happy customer service moments Very Happy
Excellent! Just simply excellent! Cool
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:47 pm

The whole carcass thing about Cebolla's sounds like a BS story if I've ever heard one.

A friend heard it from a friend who heard it from the cop that wrote the ticket.

I call bullshit.

And FYI...it doesn't take that long to make a taco, burrito or quesadilla. The place is always packed. Do you think they cook just enough meat for individual orders? I'd be willing to bet they cook it in large amounts and leave it in a warmer...just like *gasp* most food joints, especially fast food joints.

And Los Lomas BLOWS. If that's your idea of good food, I'd hate to know what you consider to be bad.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Markwes Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:16 am

Fleek wrote:The whole carcass thing about Cebolla's sounds like a BS story if I've ever heard one.

A friend heard it from a friend who heard it from the cop that wrote the ticket.

I call bullshit.

And FYI...it doesn't take that long to make a taco, burrito or quesadilla. The place is always packed. Do you think they cook just enough meat for individual orders? I'd be willing to bet they cook it in large amounts and leave it in a warmer...just like *gasp* most food joints, especially fast food joints.

And Los Lomas BLOWS. If that's your idea of good food, I'd hate to know what you consider to be bad.
Cheers!! cheers
Markwes
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3096

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:32 am

Fleek wrote:The whole carcass thing about Cebolla's sounds like a BS story if I've ever heard one.

I call bullshit.

Anyone know where to look up violations for the DOH online?

Fleek, c'mon. Your dissent sounds like the beginnings of denial. Rolling Eyes I'm not about to go on record and out the officer's name on a public message board (as if that were necessary), the date and location info should be in the DOH citation. If I'm wrong, oops. If you knew how much disgust I have for hear-say accounts... how skeptical of sensationalist fear mongering, and how anti-reactionist my stance usually is, maybe you wouldn't protest.

I've had a bad meal at Las Lomas, but they have been more often than not, the most authentic Mexican restaurant in the Fort IMHO. Your mileage may vary...

Here's a link to the DOH 2007 Report. I suppose they are released every 6 months so the new one is due out very soon. http://www.fw-ac-deptofhealth.com/PDF/Food_Protection/2008/2007%202nd%20Half%20Food%20Inspections.pdf

Here's a link to the Indiana Food Code, just in case there's any gray area. http://www.fw-ac-deptofhealth.com/PDF/Food_Protection/2008/2007%202nd%20Half%20Food%20Inspections.pdf

-----
Update: I'm still looking, but FYI, go to www.jg.net and search for "Restaurant inspections" for the last 2 months info
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:18 am

I have to agree with Fleek that I don't think this the dead deer thing happened, I would chalk it up to hearsay.

But ... But ... Fleek, Las Lomas does have the best mexican in town, La Margarita is a close second, Mexico Antiqua is third and Cebollas is 4th. in my humble opinion.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Canuck Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:01 pm

meta4 wrote:

I call bullshit.

Anyone know where to look up violations for the DOH online?

Fleek, c'mon. Your dissent sounds like the beginnings of denial. Rolling Eyes I'm not about to go on record and out the officer's name on a public message board (as if that were necessary), the date and location info should be in the DOH citation. If I'm wrong, oops. If you knew how much disgust I have for hear-say accounts... how skeptical of sensationalist fear mongering, and how anti-reactionist my stance usually is, maybe you wouldn't protest.

I've had a bad meal at Las Lomas, but they have been more often than not, the most authentic Mexican restaurant in the Fort IMHO. Your mileage may vary...

Here's a link to the DOH 2007 Report. I suppose they are released every 6 months so the new one is due out very soon. http://www.fw-ac-deptofhealth.com/PDF/Food_Protection/2008/2007%202nd%20Half%20Food%20Inspections.pdf

Here's a link to the Indiana Food Code, just in case there's any gray area. http://www.fw-ac-deptofhealth.com/PDF/Food_Protection/2008/2007%202nd%20Half%20Food%20Inspections.pdf

-----
Update: I'm still looking, but FYI, go to www.jg.net and search for "Restaurant inspections" for the last 2 months info

This bit was published June 1, 2008:

Cebolla’s Mexican Grill, 236 Fernhill Ave.: NCV: 4

Critical violations : Employee handled ready to eat food with bare hands; cans of food found damaged

This is the link from JG:

http://www.journalgazette.net/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080601/LOCAL/806010459
Canuck
Canuck
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male
Number of posts : 1717

Back to top Go down

Post  Mort Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:04 pm

I agree with Bman somewhat

but good list Bman
Mort