The Real Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Worthy of a jail sentence?

Go down

Worthy of a jail sentence? Empty Worthy of a jail sentence?

Post  Markwes Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:17 pm

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,410422,00.html

HARLAN, Ky. — Politicians are known for lame jokes. But when Otis "Bullman" Hensley tried a generations-old Appalachian jest on a woman and two girls at the grocery store, the family thought it was downright criminal.

Hensley, who earned notoriety for oddball antics as a longshot gubernatorial candidate, spent three days in jail in this eastern Kentucky coal town last week after being arrested over the wisecrack.

"Jay Leno makes jokes every night and makes millions," Hensley said in his thick Appalachian accent. "I make one joke and go to jail."

He could have faced as many as 10 years in prison, but a charge of attempted unlawful transaction with a minor was dismissed on Monday.

The ordeal began last week when Hensley's wife sent him to a local grocery store to buy ground beef. While there, Hensley encountered a woman with her two nieces, ages 11 and 13. "I offered to trade her a fattening hog for those girls," Hensley said. "I meant it as a joke. I've said it a million times. Most people get a kick out of it."

The woman didn't laugh. Instead, the family obtained a warrant for Hensley's arrest from the local prosecutor, claiming the comment was intended to entice the children into illegal sexual activity.

Really, whatever happened to proving intent before someone can be arrested? I would like to ask the woman if this was all worth it. "Entice the children into illegal sexual activity" - Please! If she really thought that, then ask if that's what he's really trying to do, or tell him it's not appropriate, or something.
Markwes
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3096

Back to top Go down