The Real Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Putting together a gift, need help with food related ideas...

+3
Markwes
LTRT
Shopaholic
7 posters

Go down

Putting together a gift, need help with food related ideas... Empty Putting together a gift, need help with food related ideas...

Post  Shopaholic Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:17 pm

Ok, I'm getting ready to send a box of goodies/Christmas presents to someone in Florida. I wanted to send a few uniquely Fort Wayne type things. I know for sure I am sending some Cookie Cottage Cookies and a few chocolate goodies from DeBrands. I have two questions...

Is their anything else uniquely the Fort (foodwise) that will handle mailing?

And if someone where to send you a few small bites from DeBrands, what would you like most? I know for sure I am sending one of my personal favorite Caramel Pretzel Bars. (No, I'm not sending a tower Very Happy I don't have that kind of money!)

Would love to hear everyone's ideas!
Shopaholic
Shopaholic
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Female
Number of posts : 464

Back to top Go down

Putting together a gift, need help with food related ideas... Empty Re: Putting together a gift, need help with food related ideas...

Post  LTRT Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:21 pm

Aunt Millies bread is made here.
LTRT
LTRT
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3456

Back to top Go down

Putting together a gift, need help with food related ideas... Empty Re: Putting together a gift, need help with food related ideas...

Post  Shopaholic Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:23 pm

Very true, I'm very fond of AM for our bread needs.

I'm things that are more interesting than bread though, hence the cookies and chocolate Wink
Shopaholic
Shopaholic
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Female

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:29 pm

Mad Anthony Beer
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:31 pm

Warbird beer - expensive, decent. That's about the best I can say about it, and it's made here.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:35 pm

How about something Vera Bradley?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Shopaholic Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:35 pm

Hmmm, beer might be good. Any ideas on how to ship without breaking the bottles?

Meta-Where do I find Warbird and just how expensive? MA I've heard of, but no idea where to track down the WB.

I'm obviously not a beer drinker. I prefer the fruity drinks myself.
Shopaholic
Shopaholic
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Female

Back to top Go down

Post  Shopaholic Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:36 pm

Bman wrote:How about something Vera Bradley?

Hmmm, perhaps I should note this gift is for a guy Very Happy

But I might be inclined to buy one for myself...
Shopaholic
Shopaholic
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Female

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:38 pm

Shopaholic wrote:

What about a Vera Bradley tie ... they make all kinds of stuff now.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:39 pm

Bman wrote:
Shopaholic wrote:

What about a Vera Bradley tie ... they make all kinds of stuff now.

Only if he wants an ass-ugly quilted freaking tie.

Surely to be regifted next year.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:46 pm

Warbird and Mad Anthony beer are both available at local beer retailers. Of course, shipping across state lines should be fun as long as no one knows what it's the package.

Finding singles in Fort Wayne could be a problem. There's not many good beer stores.

Those are the two only good things I can think of in Fort Wayne food/drink-wise.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Markwes Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:50 pm

Are you assuming her friend is gay?
Markwes
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3096

Back to top Go down

Post  LTRT Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:51 pm

Would you wear a "quilted" tie? Not me, nothing but silk.
LTRT
LTRT
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3456

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:49 pm

Old Crown Coffee
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:06 pm

Oliver's Army wrote:Old Crown Coffee

Shop, I'd go with cans but during this cold time of year. You have to take into account that the bottles may freeze and leak or break so If I were to go that route I would ship cans. Maybe put them in a sealed bag first... I know, not a very aesthetic appearance but it's better than getting a box full of authentic busted glass and beer from good 'ol Fort Wayne. Cool clown

I like Ollie's idea about Old Crown Coffee, they have VERY good stuff and the owners are great people. I think they're over on North Anthony, across the street from Atz's.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Shopaholic Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:48 pm

meta4 wrote:
Oliver's Army wrote:Old Crown Coffee

Shop, I'd go with cans but during this cold time of year. You have to take into account that the bottles may freeze and leak or break so If I were to go that route I would ship cans. Maybe put them in a sealed bag first... I know, not a very aesthetic appearance but it's better than getting a box full of authentic busted glass and beer from good 'ol Fort Wayne. Cool clown

I like Ollie's idea about Old Crown Coffee, they have VERY good stuff and the owners are great people. I think they're over on North Anthony, across the street from Atz's.

I didn't realize you could buy the local beer in cans, I just assumed it was all bottled. I'm not really sure why it didn't occur to me. If I can get cans, I'd really prefer that. I'm trying to decide how to ship it all. I'm supposed to go down to visit sometime this next year, but the thought of beer in my suitcase scares me.

Can anyone tell me a specific store to get the Warbird? I've got a million stops tonight and don't have time to stop all over looking for it.

I'm not sure he's a coffee drinker, but will dig for some info on that. I might pick some up for my mom though. She loves coffee.

And while the ties are an interesting idea, those are so not him (and he's sooo not gay Very Happy )

Thanks for all the help. I'd buy you all a drink if I could.
Shopaholic
Shopaholic
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Female

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:54 pm

I'm not sure where you're travels will route you tonight so...

S&V Liquors in New Haven, or Dupont Rd.
Cap'n Cork (assume you won't be going into the 'hood' tonight, they might not have it there)
Belmont Liquors (anywhere but the 'hood')
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:04 pm

Shopaholic wrote:Meta-Where do I find Warbird and just how expensive?

Glossed over this the first time. I think it's about 9-10 bucks a 6 pack. I have seen about 4 or more different brews so check at the Liquor store and maybe they'll let you break them up into a "variety pack".

One thing I will say, I am a beer lover and if I were going to get a perfect beer gift, it would have at least two of each brew/flavor because one usually isn't enough to fully savor the flavor. Razz

Putting together a gift, need help with food related ideas... 64140
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Shopaholic Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:59 pm

meta4 wrote:
Shopaholic wrote:Meta-Where do I find Warbird and just how expensive?

Glossed over this the first time. I think it's about 9-10 bucks a 6 pack. I have seen about 4 or more different brews so check at the Liquor store and maybe they'll let you break them up into a "variety pack".

One thing I will say, I am a beer lover and if I were going to get a perfect beer gift, it would have at least two of each brew/flavor because one usually isn't enough to fully savor the flavor. Razz

Putting together a gift, need help with food related ideas... 64140

Thank you! S&V on Dupont is not far from my house and I can stop very easily anytime. I will inquire about a self made variety pack. If he likes, I can always smuggle him more later. $10 is actually better than what I feared. Most of my adult beverage drinking is in a restaurant so much more expensive than that.

Now if the hubby would get home so I could get out of here and SHOP!
Shopaholic
Shopaholic
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Female

Back to top Go down

Post  sunny d Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:33 pm

Key III candies is here in Fort Wayne. The factory/shop is out on Engle road.
sunny d
sunny d
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Number of posts : 76

Back to top Go down

Post  Aggie Transplant Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:03 am

The farmers' market in Roanoke and downtown FW used to have some neat stuff - homemade jams, jellies, etc. But considering it's December, I'm guessing they're not open.

Aggie Transplant
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Female
Number of posts : 1124

Back to top Go down

Post  Shopaholic Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:34 pm

Aggie Transplant wrote:The farmers' market in Roanoke and downtown FW used to have some neat stuff - homemade jams, jellies, etc. But considering it's December, I'm guessing they're not open.

You know, that was helpful. I just thought of Hilger's and I may send a bit of fudge. It didn't even occur to me until that. Thanks!

sunny d- I will check the candles out as well. My only concern is how to send without the scent transferring to the foodstuff. I know that's something they warn of when shipping care packages to military service people (referring to soap etc, but I imagine candles would be the same). Not that I can't just buy some for myself instead!

I didn't get to stop by the liquor store last night. I just gotta figure out how to get away from the kids for a bit Very Happy
Shopaholic
Shopaholic
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Female

Back to top Go down

Post  IrishGuy Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:51 pm

Meijer sells Warbird, at least they used to.
IrishGuy
IrishGuy
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male
Number of posts : 1511

Back to top Go down

Post  Mort Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:17 pm

http://www.josephdecuis.com/special.htm

lots in their emporium ck it out!!
Mort
Mort
Admin
Admin

Male
Number of posts : 1400

https://therealboard.forumakers.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down