The Real Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another Tax Cheat in Obama's Cabinet

+3
LTRT
Cincy Fan 44
Scooby01_98
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Another Tax Cheat in Obama's Cabinet Empty Another Tax Cheat in Obama's Cabinet

Post  Scooby01_98 Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:54 am

WOW it's no wonder Obama has to have Republicans in his cabinet, looks like he ran out of tax paying Dems.

http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpunch/2009/01/more-daschle-ta.html

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/washingtondc/la-na-daschle31-2009jan31,0,1820227.story

Maybe Obama should stop worrying about whether someone in his admin is a lobbist and worry more about all the tax cheats he is hiring.

At least Richardson (who wasn't a tax cheat) did the honorable thing and withdrew his nomination when he just had a potential problem. Treasury and HHS cabinet member/nominee have no such scrupples.

Looks like Obama is just the same old same old in Washington.....
Scooby01_98
Scooby01_98
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male
Number of posts : 1642

http://www.nola.com

Back to top Go down

Another Tax Cheat in Obama's Cabinet Empty Re: Another Tax Cheat in Obama's Cabinet

Post  Guest Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:04 am

McCain lost! The Republican Party got pummeled and are in the wilderness right and I REALLY REALLY hope they keep Rush Limbaugh at the microphone being the spokesperson and media magnet for the "new" republican party. Having Rush as your spokesperson is like the democrats have either Ed Schultz or Keith Olbermann as our front man.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Another Tax Cheat in Obama's Cabinet Empty Re: Another Tax Cheat in Obama's Cabinet

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:45 am

I'm sure it was just an honest mistake...it's no big deal really. But if it was one of those nasty Republican neocons they should face a firing squad immediately. Laughing

This one doesn't bother me as much as Geithner though. Suspect
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male
Number of posts : 4852

http://www.whodeyrevolution.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Scooby01_98 Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:42 pm

Bman wrote:McCain lost! The Republican Party got pummeled and are in the wilderness right and I REALLY REALLY hope they keep Rush Limbaugh at the microphone being the spokesperson and media magnet for the "new" republican party. Having Rush as your spokesperson is like the democrats have either Ed Schultz or Keith Olbermann as our front man.

Must deflect critism of Obama.....Must inject/say the name McCain.....Must inject/say the name Rush Limbaugh into the conversation to deflect issue and throw facts off. Must stick head farther up Obama's ass and pull butt cheeks closer around ears...so I can remain blind, deaf and dumb. Must not believe that Obama is not the government's messiah......but just another politician (A Chicago one at that).

Must believe that Obama has outlawed torture (when he left a clause in his executive order allowing it in times of emergency). Must have stimulus package from congress with no pork (when alot of pork is in it). Must stop military tribunals (except it would violate the double jeopardy clause of the constitution). Must close Gitmo (bet it is still open in a year).
Scooby01_98
Scooby01_98
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  LTRT Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:19 am

Obama’s Pledge to Reform Ethics Faces an Early Test
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/03/us/politics/03lobby.html?_r=1&hp

“This is a big problem for Obama, especially because it was such a major, major promise,” said Melanie Sloan, executive director of Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington. “He harped on it, time after time, and he created a sense of expectation around the country. This is exactly why people are skeptical of politicians, because change we can believe in is not the same thing as business as usual.”

No...this can't be...the NY Times has written an article critical of Obama, what's this world coming to.
LTRT
LTRT
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3456

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:30 am

Scooby01_98 wrote:
Bman wrote:McCain lost! The Republican Party got pummeled and are in the wilderness right and I REALLY REALLY hope they keep Rush Limbaugh at the microphone being the spokesperson and media magnet for the "new" republican party. Having Rush as your spokesperson is like the democrats have either Ed Schultz or Keith Olbermann as our front man.

Must deflect critism of Obama.....Must inject/say the name McCain.....Must inject/say the name Rush Limbaugh into the conversation to deflect issue and throw facts off. Must stick head farther up Obama's ass and pull butt cheeks closer around ears...so I can remain blind, deaf and dumb. Must not believe that Obama is not the government's messiah......but just another politician (A Chicago one at that).

Must believe that Obama has outlawed torture (when he left a clause in his executive order allowing it in times of emergency). Must have stimulus package from congress with no pork (when alot of pork is in it). Must stop military tribunals (except it would violate the double jeopardy clause of the constitution). Must close Gitmo (bet it is still open in a year).

Good Post Scooby cheers

You made a compelling case there for the likes of LTRT and Markwes as for me all I hear is a sour loser trying to make things sound worse by putting their spin on Obama's policies. The ship of this nation is moving left ... get on board or get off.

Glad you think the 8 years of Bush were so good where the rich got richer, the middle class joined the poor class, the number of homeless in America grew where disposable incomes declined, where our constitution was raped and pilaged, where we lost our standing on the world stage ... hell, Dennis Kucinich would have been better than another neo-con.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  floridafun Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:44 am

my sentiments exactly Another Tax Cheat in Obama's Cabinet 795451
floridafun
floridafun
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Female
Number of posts : 2519

Back to top Go down

Post  LTRT Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:47 am

Bman wrote:Good Post Scooby cheers
Kudos for something postive in your reply. Smile

Bman wrote:You made a compelling case there for the likes of LTRT and Markwes as for me all I hear is a sour loser trying to make things sound worse by putting their spin on Obama's policies. The ship of this nation is moving left ... get on board or get off.

Spin... lol! You've got be be joking, come on your better than that.

"get on board", Ha, you said the same thing about HS, how's the hotel and condos going?

Bman wrote:Glad you think the 8 years of Bush were so good where the rich got richer, the middle class joined the poor class, the number of homeless in America grew where disposable incomes declined, where our constitution was raped and pilaged, where we lost our standing on the world stage ... hell, Dennis Kucinich would have been better than another neo-con.

Have another Starbucks, you're regurgitating the same garbage you spewed before the election.

Your beloved NYTimes is calling for Tommy's withdraw, sorry didn't mean to spin things. Basketball

The Travails of Tom Daschle
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/03/opinion/03tue1.html?_r=3&partner=rss&emc=rss

...that call into question his suitability for the job. We believe that Mr. Daschle ought to step aside and let the president choose a less-blemished successor.

Commentary: Transparency in Obama administration?
http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/02/02/campbell.brown.transparency/index.html#cnnSTCText

Neither man paid up in full until after they were approached to join the Obama administration. I wonder how many Americans would avoid paying a six-figure tax bill until they were up for a new job?
Hmmm, the honeymoon must be over with the media.
LTRT
LTRT
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:01 pm

I'm beginning to think Pete Rose would make a great fit somewhere in the Obama Admin. After all, he did go to jail for TAX EVASION. If that ever happened, I will thump long and loud for Obama!!! Very Happy
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Scooby01_98 Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:46 pm

Wow BMAN if you want Obama to have a tainted administration filled with tax cheats, fine by me. After all public perception is very powerful but with the blind faithful like you and ff we can keep the country in the tank.

I don't think Obama will be going as far to the left as you hope he will. Keeping the torture clause in executive order proved that.
Scooby01_98
Scooby01_98
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Markwes Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:55 pm

Bman wrote:
Scooby01_98 wrote:

Good Post Scooby cheers

You made a compelling case there for the likes of LTRT and Markwes as for me all I hear is a sour loser trying to make things sound worse by putting their spin on Obama's policies. The ship of this nation is moving left ... get on board or get off.

Glad you think the 8 years of Bush were so good where the rich got richer, the middle class joined the poor class, the number of homeless in America grew where disposable incomes declined, where our constitution was raped and pilaged, where we lost our standing on the world stage ... hell, Dennis Kucinich would have been better than another neo-con.
I will keep this post as a service to Bman in case there are future criticisms of anything Obama does and he forgets to call anyone who didn't vote for him a 'sore loser'.

Also, I wish to retroactively amend any posts where there was any criticism of Bush with the following:
"Clinton/Gore lost! All I see is a sore loser. Get on board on get off."
Markwes
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3096

Back to top Go down

Post  Scooby01_98 Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:30 pm

OOPSSS number 3 Killefer although she did have the scruples to withdraw her nomination. Either that or she just didn't cheat enough (less than 1K).

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5gfS4MpLstbt1vSBTODBVsglt8gnQD964760O0

Might as well open another can of worms. Refresh my memory didn't one of those executive orders have something against lobbyist in his administration? If so why is the second in charge of defense a rayetheon lobbyist (republican by the way), why is the number 2 person in treasury a recent former lobbyist for a wall street financial company.

Also wouldn't Daschle be a lobbyist, worked for a health care lobbyist firm as their lawyer......hhhmmm

I know, I know, move along nothing to see. Just politics like normal, nothing changes even when Obama is in charge. Another Tax Cheat in Obama's Cabinet 396424
Scooby01_98
Scooby01_98
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:37 pm

Scooby01_98 wrote:OOPSSS number 3 Killefer although she did have the scruples to withdraw her nomination. Either that or she just didn't cheat enough (less than 1K).

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5gfS4MpLstbt1vSBTODBVsglt8gnQD964760O0

Might as well open another can of worms. Refresh my memory didn't one of those executive orders have something against lobbyist in his administration? If so why is the second in charge of defense a rayetheon lobbyist (republican by the way), why is the number 2 person in treasury a recent former lobbyist for a wall street financial company.

Also wouldn't Daschle be a lobbyist, worked for a health care lobbyist firm as their lawyer......hhhmmm

I know, I know, move along nothing to see. Just politics like normal, nothing changes even when Obama is in charge. Another Tax Cheat in Obama's Cabinet 396424

I heard a soundbite on NPR yesterday... I think the keyword is "Registered" lobbyist. FWIW
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  floridafun Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:51 pm

Scooby01_98 wrote:Wow BMAN if you want Obama to have a tainted administration filled with tax cheats, fine by me. After all public perception is very powerful but with the blind faithful like you and ff we can keep the country in the tank.

I don't think Obama will be going as far to the left as you hope he will. Keeping the torture clause in executive order proved that.

on that torture tidbit you like to toss out there...what specifically are you referring to? i cant find it..

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7847405.stm

The CIA has until now been using its own undisclosed set of rules, but its hands will be tied by the new executive order.

Mr Obama laid out his position in his inaugural address. "We reject as false the choice between our safety and our ideals," he said.

Philippe Sands, Professor of International Law at University College London, says Susan Crawford's statement is important on two levels. "Not only is it the first time a senior Bush administration official has publicly admitted that one of the inmates held at Guantanamo was tortured," he says, "but it also shows that the material obtained by torture can't be used in court. "So what's the purpose of harsh interrogation techniques?"

Outgoing CIA director Michael Hayden has already instructed his staff to abide by the new rules. In one of his last messages to his staff before he is replaced by Leon Panetta next month, he said the agency had many counter-terror tools in its arsenal and would adapt accordingly. He added: "When our government changes its law or policy, we will follow that direction without exception, carve-out, or loophole."

http://action.humanrightsfirst.org/human_rights_first/notice-description.tcl?newsletter_id=10943671

January 22, Navi Pillay, the U.N. High Commissioner for Human Rights, echoed Nowak's comments. Pillay welcomed President Obama's orders to close Guantánamo and end harsh interrogations, but urged a thorough investigation of the allegations of torture at Guantánamo: "There is a no let-out clause. There must be accountability for those who have ordered such practices or carried them out, and victims should receive recompense." Pillay also stated that detainees suspected of crimes "are entitled to an expeditious and fair trial before the regular courts."
floridafun
floridafun
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Female

Back to top Go down

Post  floridafun Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:03 pm

floridafun
floridafun
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Female

Back to top Go down

Post  LTRT Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:10 pm

floridafun wrote:
Scooby01_98 wrote:Wow BMAN if you want Obama to have a tainted administration filled with tax cheats, fine by me. After all public perception is very powerful but with the blind faithful like you and ff we can keep the country in the tank.

on that torture tidbit you like to toss out there...what specifically are you referring to? i cant find it..

Scooby might've been referring to the Jack Bauer Exception. Suspect

The Jack Bauer Exception
Obama's executive order wants it both ways on interrogation.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123267082704308361.html

To wit, yesterday's executive order on interrogation: It imposes broad limits on how aggressively U.S. intelligence officers can question terrorists, but it also keeps open the prospect of legal loopholes that would allow them to press harder in tough cases.

The "special task force" may well grant the CIA more legal freedom to squeeze information out of terrorists when it could keep the country safe.
LTRT
LTRT
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Scooby01_98 Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:49 am

That would be section e (i)
to study and evaluate whether the interrogation practices and techniques in Army Field Manual 2 22.3, when employed by departments or agencies outside the military, provide an appropriate means of acquiring the intelligence necessary to protect the Nation, and, if warranted, to recommend any additional or different guidance for other departments or agencies; and
Scooby01_98
Scooby01_98
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  floridafun Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:48 am

i guess its in how you choose to interpret "if warranted, to recommend any additional or different guidance for other departments or agencies;" i dont feel there is implication torture might be used, seems to me to be an allowance for CHANGE in strategy by allowing possibility of other-than-torture options which can be reviewed and considered..
floridafun
floridafun
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Female

Back to top Go down

Post  Mort Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:43 am

What I am baffled is the fact that these people did not pay their taxes!

WTF? How do you forget to do that?

Its not like they don''t make enough money to pay them

I don't get it Question affraid confused confused
Mort
Mort
Admin
Admin

Male
Number of posts : 1400

https://therealboard.forumakers.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:47 am

Mort wrote:What I am baffled is the fact that these people did not pay their taxes!

Couldn't agree more. What I don't get is why Obama called the Daschle nomination a mistake due to his tax issues, but hasn't done the same with Geithner... scratch
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:22 am

Cincy Fan 44 wrote:
Mort wrote:What I am baffled is the fact that these people did not pay their taxes!

Couldn't agree more. What I don't get is why Obama called the Daschle nomination a mistake due to his tax issues, but hasn't done the same with Geithner... scratch

The scale of Daschle's balance due was about 3x higher than Geithner, and he had that messy quasi-lobbyist stuff. Most people would think that if you're being paid $2M by a lobbyist firm, that's damn good living in and of itself. That was only PART of Daschle's income. I can't imagine him "forgetting" to get paid for $147K of that, but it sure is interesting he forgot to pay that $147K to the IRS.

They're smart guys/gals! I say this makes them totally unqualified to hold public office, they can't even file their taxes properly!
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Scooby01_98 Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:25 am

floridafun wrote:i guess its in how you choose to interpret "if warranted, to recommend any additional or different guidance for other departments or agencies;" i dont feel there is implication torture might be used, seems to me to be an allowance for CHANGE in strategy by allowing possibility of other-than-torture options which can be reviewed and considered..

Guess it comes down to what the meaning of "is" is. Or in this case "additional or different". But lets face it you use up all your non torture methods, you got only one place to go....

Last edited by Scooby01_98 on Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Scooby01_98
Scooby01_98
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Mort Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:47 am

meta4 wrote:
Cincy Fan 44 wrote:

The scale of Daschle's balance due was about 3x higher than Geithner, and he had that messy quasi-lobbyist stuff. Most people would think that if you're being paid $2M by a lobbyist firm, that's damn good living in and of itself. That was only PART of Daschle's income. I can't imagine him "forgetting" to get paid for $147K of that, but it sure is interesting he forgot to pay that $147K to the IRS.

They're smart guys/gals! I say this makes them totally unqualified to hold public office, they can't even file their taxes properly!

Indeed how do you forget about 147 grand? Hell I would not be able to sleep Sleep
Mort
Mort
Admin
Admin

Male
Number of posts : 1400

https://therealboard.forumakers.com

Back to top Go down

Post  LTRT Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:01 pm

Mort wrote:Indeed how do you forget about 147 grand? Hell I would not be able to sleep Sleep

Must be a democrat thing affraid Twisted Evil Laughing
LTRT
LTRT
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  LTRT Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:28 pm

uh ooooh Very Happy

sorry, it was just a mistake, no big deal. Arrow

Solis Senate Session Postponed in Wake of Husband's Tax Lien Revelations
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/44/2009/02/05/solis_senate_session_canceled.html?hpid=topnews

A Senate committee today abruptly canceled a session to consider President Obama's nomination of Rep. Hilda Solis to be labor secretary in the wake of a report saying that her husband yesterday paid about $6,400 to settle tax liens against his business -- liens that had been outstanding for as long as 16 years.
LTRT
LTRT
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next