The Real Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Time Magazine: 10 Major Newspapers That May Fold

4 posters

Go down

Time Magazine:  10 Major Newspapers That May Fold Empty Time Magazine: 10 Major Newspapers That May Fold

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:34 am

http://www.time.com/time/business/article/0,8599,1883785,00.html

Over the past few weeks, the U.S. newspaper industry has entered a new period of decline. The parent of the papers in Philadelphia declared bankruptcy, as did the Journal Register chain. The Rocky Mountain News closed, and the Seattle Post-Intelligencer, owned by Hearst, will almost certainly close or only publish online. Hearst has said it will also close the San Francisco Chronicle if it cannot make massive cuts. The most recent rumor is that the company will lay off half the editorial staff. Still, that action may not be enough to make the property profitable.

24/7 Wall St. has created a list of the 10 major daily papers that are most likely to fold or shutter their print operations and only publish online. The properties were chosen on the basis of the financial strength of their parent companies, the amount of direct competition they face in their markets and industry information on how much money they are losing. Based on this analysis, it's possible that 8 of the nation's 50 largest daily newspapers could cease publication in the next 18 months.
Click the link for the list of papers. I didn't want to go into some ginormous article in this post...

Some of those really surprised me, like the Boston Globe and the Cleveland Plain Dealer. I used to subscribe to a newspaper but stopped when I moved here, mainly b/c I can find more than enough of what I want on-line.

I wonder sometimes if newspaper's on-line websites will start making you have to pay to read their sites as a way of making more money? Or if they'll just put less info on their site so that you have to buy the paper for more info?
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male
Number of posts : 4852

http://www.whodeyrevolution.com

Back to top Go down

Time Magazine:  10 Major Newspapers That May Fold Empty Re: Time Magazine: 10 Major Newspapers That May Fold

Post  IrishGuy Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:57 am

Cincy Fan 44 wrote:

I wonder sometimes if newspaper's on-line websites will start making you have to pay to read their sites as a way of making more money? Or if they'll just put less info on their site so that you have to buy the paper for more info?

Some already do charge. I can't tell you any off hand, but during football season I will check out the local newspapers for some of the visiting teams that the Colts or ND plays and some of them will be a subscription access. I wouldn't be suprised if this becomes the norm.
IrishGuy
IrishGuy
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male
Number of posts : 1511

Back to top Go down

Time Magazine:  10 Major Newspapers That May Fold Empty Re: Time Magazine: 10 Major Newspapers That May Fold

Post  Pez Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:04 am

This isnt surprising... It used to be when I was in the market for a new job I would look in the classifieds. There were 4 job postings in the JG Yesterday. Newspapers need to adapt to the changing landscape somehow. Its going to be a tough nut to crack, and perhaps the inline universe it the most appropriate place. If a paper tries to survive by putting up the piss-poor web presence that the JG has, they are toast.

I cant see the News-Sentinel lasting much longer. I will always subscribe to a newspaper. While I agree that By the time I receieve the newspaper there are times that I have already read about the news, but I enjoy reading the letters, the editorial page, the comics and the metro section.

Pez
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male
Number of posts : 1979

Back to top Go down

Post  Scooby01_98 Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:16 pm

6 of the 10 have competing newspapers in the city. Although I was surprised to see the Boston Globe instead of The Herald. Two newspapers in the same city is becoming more rare.

The newspaper no longer give unbiased news accounts anymore. It is now tilted to whether the editorial section is liberal and conservative, and they report the news in the same fashion.

Also they run articles that are days old. When I subscribed to both USA today and the JG. I would see articles in the JG that I had read two days earlier in USA today.
Scooby01_98
Scooby01_98
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male
Number of posts : 1642

http://www.nola.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down