The Real Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

U.S. bill seeks to rescue faltering newspapers

5 posters

Go down

U.S. bill seeks to rescue faltering newspapers Empty U.S. bill seeks to rescue faltering newspapers

Post  LTRT Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:43 pm

U.S. bill seeks to rescue faltering newspapers
http://www.reuters.com/article/politicsNews/idUSTRE52N67F20090324

By Thomas Ferraro

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - With many U.S. newspapers struggling to survive, a Democratic senator on Tuesday introduced a bill to help them by allowing newspaper companies to restructure as nonprofits with a variety of tax breaks.

"This may not be the optimal choice for some major newspapers or corporate media chains but it should be an option for many newspapers that are struggling to stay afloat," said Senator Benjamin Cardin.

A Cardin spokesman said the bill had yet to attract any co-sponsors, but had sparked plenty of interest within the media, which has seen plunging revenues and many journalist layoffs.

Cardin's Newspaper Revitalization Act would allow newspapers to operate as nonprofits for educational purposes under the U.S. tax code, giving them a similar status to public broadcasting companies.

Under this arrangement, newspapers would still be free to report on all issues, including political campaigns. But they would be prohibited from making political endorsements.

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Newspaper subscriptions and advertising have shrunk dramatically in the past few years as Americans have turned more and more to the Internet or television for information.

Duh...Sen. Cardin must think we still live in Mayberry RFD.
LTRT
LTRT
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3456

Back to top Go down

U.S. bill seeks to rescue faltering newspapers Empty Re: U.S. bill seeks to rescue faltering newspapers

Post  Markwes Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:22 pm

Maybe it's time to rescue the VHS industry too. Laughing
Markwes
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3096

Back to top Go down

U.S. bill seeks to rescue faltering newspapers Empty Re: U.S. bill seeks to rescue faltering newspapers

Post  floridafun Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:52 pm

i still buy a paper..i like holding it in my grubby little hands as i read it.
floridafun
floridafun
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Female
Number of posts : 2519

Back to top Go down

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:30 pm

Markwes wrote:Maybe it's time to rescue the VHS industry too. Laughing
Don't stop there. Today, the VHS industry...tomorrow the vinyl record industry! afro
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male
Number of posts : 4852

http://www.whodeyrevolution.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Canuck Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:45 pm

I think the 8-track is a much more deserving cause... Razz
Canuck
Canuck
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male
Number of posts : 1717

Back to top Go down

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:49 pm

Canuck wrote:I think the 8-track is a much more deserving cause... Razz
I think you may...(cuh-chunk)..be right... Laughing
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male
Number of posts : 4852

http://www.whodeyrevolution.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down