The Real Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Unemployment rises to 9.4%

3 posters

Go down

Unemployment rises to 9.4% Empty Unemployment rises to 9.4%

Post  LTRT Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:22 pm

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Jobless-rate-hits-94-percent-apf-15448590.html?.v=13

But with companies still reluctant to hire, the nation's jobless rate rose to a quarter-century high of 9.4 percent, and it likely will keep rising into 2010, possibly within striking distance of its post-World War II peak of 10.8 percent.

Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke repeated his prediction this week that the recession will end this year, but again warned that any recovery will be gradual.

Against that backdrop, many economists say the jobless rate will hit 10 percent by the end of this year and will keep rising into 2010. Some economists think it could near 11 percent. The highest since World War II was 10.8 percent at the end of 1982.

Humm, I thought we were told that without the passing of the $787 billion stimulus plan that unemployment would go above 9%.
LTRT
LTRT
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3456

Back to top Go down

Unemployment rises to 9.4% Empty Re: Unemployment rises to 9.4%

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:46 pm

Response from the Party of Yes about how the unemployment rate would have been near 20% if the Porkulus Package hadn't been passed coming in 3...2...1...
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male
Number of posts : 4852

http://www.whodeyrevolution.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Pez Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:48 am

Unemployment has perhaps tapered off and is clearly on it's way to stabilizing. The forward looking DJIA is up 20% since Obama took office... there are clearly signs that thew economy is improving. The administration has spent ONLY 5% of the Porkulous stimulus package...

I was watching fox news last night in order to catch Ms Cheeky Monkey herself, and I found it interesting to hear them complain in the same show that The Administration has only spent 5% of the $700B, and that the $700B was a bad idea to begin with... um... it's a bad idea, why hasnt he done it yet???

Maybe there's something I dont understand here, but I see a president and an administration that is slowly getting the job done despite unforeseen setbacks, and is being prudent and thoughtful with unprecedented public funds.

Pez
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male
Number of posts : 1979

Back to top Go down

Post  LTRT Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:06 am

Pez wrote:Unemployment has perhaps tapered off and is clearly on it's way to stabilizing. The forward looking DJIA is up 20% since Obama took office... there are clearly signs that thew economy is improving. The administration has spent ONLY 5% of the Porkulous stimulus package...

I was watching fox news last night in order to catch Ms Cheeky Monkey herself, and I found it interesting to hear them complain in the same show that The Administration has only spent 5% of the $700B, and that the $700B was a bad idea to begin with... um... it's a bad idea, why hasnt he done it yet???

Maybe there's something I dont understand here, but I see a president and an administration that is slowly getting the job done despite unforeseen setbacks, and is being prudent and thoughtful with unprecedented public funds.

It's nice to know that one of our board members knows more than those darn economists.

(many economists say the jobless rate will hit 10 percent by the end of this year and will keep rising into 2010. Some economists think it could near 11 percent.)
LTRT
LTRT
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Pez Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:10 pm

LTRT wrote:

It's nice to know that one of our board members knows more than those darn economists.

(many economists say the jobless rate will hit 10 percent by the end of this year and will keep rising into 2010. Some economists think it could near 11 percent.)

I'm just saying what I think... never proclaimed to know more than anyone about anything... I'm sure I can find 100 economists that agree with me and 100 that think I'm a loon... The fact is that even if the unemployment rate reached 10% by the end of this year, it will still indicate that the job losses are slowing down.

"Many economists" predicted it would be higher than 9.4% now. I didnt ask if "some economists" agreed.

Pez
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  LTRT Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:52 pm

Pez wrote:
LTRT wrote:

I'm just saying what I think... never proclaimed to know more than anyone about anything... I'm sure I can find 100 economists that agree with me and 100 that think I'm a loon... The fact is that even if the unemployment rate reached 10% by the end of this year, it will still indicate that the job losses are slowing down.

"Many economists" predicted it would be higher than 9.4% now. I didnt ask if "some economists" agreed.

So what you're saying is if we use the word "slowing" when describing the RISING national unemployment rate, this should make everyone feel good, how comforting to know. Unemployment rises to 9.4% 880362
LTRT
LTRT
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:10 pm

What about Wal-mart planning to add 22,000 jobs... there's a ray of hope for ya!
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:13 pm

LTRT wrote:
Pez wrote:
LTRT wrote:

So what you're saying is if we use the word "slowing" when describing the RISING national unemployment rate, this should make everyone feel good, how comforting to know. Unemployment rises to 9.4% 880362

Yes
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:13 pm

Bman wrote:
LTRT wrote:
Pez wrote:
LTRT wrote:

Yes

I thought I would keep it simple for the small minded right wingers on here.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:30 pm

Bman wrote:
Bman wrote:
LTRT wrote:
Pez wrote:
LTRT wrote:

Yes

Muchias Gracias. Thank you. Atta boy! Way To Go! You're the best! What a pal! Laughing
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male
Number of posts : 4852

http://www.whodeyrevolution.com

Back to top Go down

Post  LTRT Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:48 pm

Bman wrote:
Bman wrote:
LTRT wrote:
Pez wrote:
LTRT wrote:

Yes

Wow, bet you took all morning to come up with such a witty post eh?
LTRT
LTRT
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Pez Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:39 pm

LTRT wrote:

I'm not making this up... the unemployment rate increase was widely publicized by news and financial media outlets as being a lot less than expected... I never said it wasnt rising. I follow the markets, and they had a favorable reaction to the news of unemployment rising to 9.4%, because it was expected to rise higher and didnt.

That tells me that someone is doing something correctly, or the economy is starting to recover all on it's own... either way its far from any news that you can bang your fist on the table and say, "See! See! Obama is FAILING!!!"

But dont take my word for it.... the highest rated news network ran a story:

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/06/05/unemployment-rate-climbs-percent-highest-years/

A silver lining, though, emerged in the latest unemployment figures. The pace of layoffs eased, with employers cutting 345,000 jobs, the fewest since September.

The much-smaller-than-expected reduction in payroll jobs, reported by the Labor Department on Friday, adds to evidence that the recession is loosening its hold on the country. It marked the fourth straight month that the pace of layoffs slowed.

Labor Secretary Hilda Solis credited the stimulus package with helping to ease the pace in layoffs, saying her department is moving "aggressively" to implement the stimulus package by providing billions of dollars to state and local governments for training programs and unemployment benefits.

Pez
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:12 pm

Pez wrote:
But dont take my word for it.... the highest rated news network ran a story:

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/06/05/unemployment-rate-climbs-percent-highest-years/

A silver lining, though, emerged in the latest unemployment figures. The pace of layoffs eased, with employers cutting 345,000 jobs, the fewest since September.

The much-smaller-than-expected reduction in payroll jobs, reported by the Labor Department on Friday, adds to evidence that the recession is loosening its hold on the country. It marked the fourth straight month that the pace of layoffs slowed.

Labor Secretary Hilda Solis credited the stimulus package with helping to ease the pace in layoffs, saying her department is moving "aggressively" to implement the stimulus package by providing billions of dollars to state and local governments for training programs and unemployment benefits.

This is frustrating, from what I see, Fox News asked Hilda Solis for a comment on the stimulus package, and she provides a generalized blanket statement that just "feel good" enough, but completely non-specific.

Indiana's benefits from the stimulus package - $1.6 B but where's it going?
http://www.recovery.org/Spending_by_State_Group_Three.aspx#5

Fort Wayne:
http://www.recovery.org/for_businesses.aspx?gloc=Indiana*IN&mloc=IN
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Pez Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:50 pm

LTRT wrote:(many economists say the jobless rate will hit 10 percent by the end of this year and will keep rising into 2010. Some economists think it could near 11 percent.)

The actual fox news story wrote:
Many economists believe the jobless rate will hit 10 percent by the end of this year. Some think it could rise as high as 10.7 percent by the second quarter of next year before it starts to make a slow descent.

Hilarious that LTRT and I are cherry picking from the same story and have the opposite viewpoint... LOL

Pez
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Pez Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:09 pm

meta4 wrote:
This is frustrating, from what I see, Fox News asked Hilda Solis for a comment on the stimulus package, and she provides a generalized blanket statement that just "feel good" enough, but completely non-specific.

They didnt quote her tho... just paraphrased what she said. The DOL has the entire statement here...

http://www.dol.gov/opa/media/press/opa/opa20090644.htm

in this case you can just decide... instead Of waiting on the top rated cable news show to report.

Pez
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  LTRT Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:11 pm

The Media Fall for Phony 'Jobs' Claims
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124451592762396883.html

"You created a situation where you cannot be wrong," said the Montana Democrat. "If the economy loses two million jobs over the next few years, you can say yes, but it would've lost 5.5 million jobs. If we create a million jobs, you can say, well, it would have lost 2.5 million jobs. You've given yourself complete leverage where you cannot be wrong, because you can take any scenario and make yourself look correct."

Mr. Obama's comments yesterday are a perfect illustration of just such a claim. In the months since Congress approved the stimulus, our economy has lost nearly 1.6 million jobs and unemployment has hit 9.4%. Invoke the magic words, however, and -- presto! -- you have the president claiming he has "saved or created" 150,000 jobs. It all makes for a much nicer spin, and helps you forget this is the same team that only a few months ago promised us that passing the stimulus would prevent unemployment from rising over 8%.
Unemployment rises to 9.4% 839550

It appears there's more than the media that's falling for this. Suspect
LTRT
LTRT
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Pez Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:30 am

Meh... one editorial writer for wsj is essentially the media critiquing the media... "some say..."

Anyway... my last word here... Obama made some statements that he should have know better than to say... Unemployment increases are slowing down, lets see what the June numbers are and perhaps all this is a moot point.

Pez
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down