The Real Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Letterman apologizes...again

5 posters

Go down

Letterman apologizes...again Empty Letterman apologizes...again

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:00 am

http://tv.yahoo.com/the-late-show-with-david-letterman/show/31647/news/urn:newsml:tv.ap.org:20090616:us_tv_letterman_palin__ER:1358

David Letterman said his joke about Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin's daughter was a lousy joke, no matter how you cut it, and he's sorry.

But the late-night host insisted that what's got people really riled is the misconception over which Palin daughter the joke was about.

On Monday's edition of "Late Show," Letterman explained that the risque joke thought by some to have targeted Palin's underage daughter, Willow, was actually referring to 18-year-old daughter Bristol. The name of the daughter wasn't mentioned in the joke, which was part of Letterman's monologue on last Monday's show.

It was "a coarse joke," "a bad joke," Letterman told viewers. "But I never thought it was (about) anybody other than the older daughter, and before the show, I checked to make sure, in fact, that she is of legal age, 18."

"The joke, really, in and of itself, can't be defended," he declared.

Even so, the ongoing outcry, led by Palin and her husband, Todd, has centered on Letterman intending to make a joke about the Palins' 14-year-old daughter having sex with a Yankees baseball player.

Todd Palin issued a statement last week that said "any 'jokes' about raping my 14-year-old are despicable."

And Sarah Palin charged Letterman with "sexually perverted comments made by a 62-year-old male celebrity."

On Monday's show, Letterman said, "I'm wondering, 'Well, what can I do to help people understand that I would never make a joke like this?' I've never made jokes like this, as long as we've been on the air, 30 long years."

If that's the misconception -- that the joke was aimed at a 14-year-old -- he understands why people are upset, he said. "I would be upset myself." Letterman has said from the beginning that he thought the Palin daughter who attended the Yankee game was Bristol.

"I feel that I need to do the right thing here and apologize for having told that joke," he said. "It's not your fault that it was misunderstood, it's my fault that it was misunderstood."

He apologized to both daughters, "and also to the Governor and her family and everybody else who was outraged by the joke," he said as the studio audience applauded. "I'm sorry about it, and I'll try to do better in the future."

This whole thing sounds like a pre-meditated attempt to steal some of Conan's thunder...
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male
Number of posts : 4852

http://www.whodeyrevolution.com

Back to top Go down

Letterman apologizes...again Empty Re: Letterman apologizes...again

Post  floridafun Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:54 pm

right...he wanted to be no more offensive than leno or the others on their jokes about bristol and have her semi illiterate media addict self-caricature of a mom infer he is potentially a child molester..and folks think her attack was ok but his was way over the top. good planning dave!
floridafun
floridafun
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Female
Number of posts : 2519

Back to top Go down

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:20 pm

sure...if someone comes out saying those kinds of things about my kids...no matter what age they are...I'm gonna be bitching up one lane and down another about that person. I think she did what most parents would do.
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:40 pm

Cincy Fan 44 wrote:sure...if someone comes out saying those kinds of things about my kids...no matter what age they are...I'm gonna be bitching up one lane and down another about that person. I think she did what most parents would do.

Heck you bitch about Bill Maher ...
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:46 pm

Bman wrote:
Cincy Fan 44 wrote:sure...if someone comes out saying those kinds of things about my kids...no matter what age they are...I'm gonna be bitching up one lane and down another about that person. I think she did what most parents would do.

Has he been fired yet? Razz
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Pez Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:59 pm

He said something about A-Rod molesting one of the palin daughters during the 7th inning stretch... he thought he was talking about the over 18 Bristol, but in fact the only Palin daughter that was at that game was the 14 year old....

It pains me to side with Palin here, but I just gotta. Dave was too far outta line... as in "on Pluto" kind of outta line.

Pez
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male
Number of posts : 1979

Back to top Go down

Post  Markwes Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:24 pm

Cincy Fan 44 wrote:
Bman wrote:

Has he been fired yet? Razz
Dave won't get fired. Now if he had called her a nappy headed ho, that's a different story.

Seriously, he apologized. Time to move on.
Markwes
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3096

Back to top Go down

Post  floridafun Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:36 pm

Pez wrote:He said something about A-Rod molesting one of the palin daughters during the 7th inning stretch... he thought he was talking about the over 18 Bristol, but in fact the only Palin daughter that was at that game was the 14 year old....

It pains me to side with Palin here, but I just gotta. Dave was too far outta line... as in "on Pluto" kind of outta line.

and he did an as-expected-by-a-comedian apology, then gave a much more dignified apology. she accepted, then got her prez hat on and thanked our troops for putting their lives on the line so dave can make those kind of jokes and she can come out and dump a big bowl of word salad on his recording studio pig
floridafun
floridafun
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Female

Back to top Go down

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:41 pm

floridafun wrote:
Pez wrote:He said something about A-Rod molesting one of the palin daughters during the 7th inning stretch... he thought he was talking about the over 18 Bristol, but in fact the only Palin daughter that was at that game was the 14 year old....

and he did an as-expected-by-a-comedian apology, then gave a much more dignified apology. she accepted, then got her prez hat on and thanked our troops for putting their lives on the line so dave can make those kind of jokes and she can come out and dump a big bowl of word salad on his recording studio pig
are you embellishing again FF? I don't remember her bringing up anything on the troops during this. Granted, I'm basing this off the interview I saw of her with Matt Lauer, so I admittedly don't follow every single thing she says looking for the slightest thing I can criticize her on.
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:04 pm

floridafun wrote:

He didn't give a "dignified" apology until he got his butt in hot water.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Letterman apologizes...again Empty media-ho

Post  whoosieme Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:51 pm

I almost bought Sarahs "indignant-mama" routine until i was reminded of her reaction to the SNL incest skit. Her reaction to that? Zip nada...in fact the old media-ho went on the show after that. Give me a freakin break here...........

whoosieme
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Number of posts : 110

Back to top Go down

Post  floridafun Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:03 pm

Cincy Fan 44 wrote:
floridafun wrote:

are you embellishing again FF? I don't remember her bringing up anything on the troops during this. Granted, I'm basing this off the interview I saw of her with Matt Lauer, so I admittedly don't follow every single thing she says looking for the slightest thing I can criticize her on.

pre the acceptance of apology..scroll down to the sarah vid..it helps keep in context that its ok for her to say whatever she wants, but to go after dave for his lack of taste.

http://www.swamppolitics.com/news/politics/blog/2009/06/lettermans_palin_apology_perce.html

the protesters outside the letterman studio by palinistas. the first vid i saw on it said there were 14 people there. this one says they have 40.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DT1Qosbhgo

no youtube yet on her accepting daves apology and thanking the troops that i found, but here is morning joe then ko reporting on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5V3dXZzG88&feature=related

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ET8KFahKfqI
floridafun
floridafun
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Female

Back to top Go down

Post  Markwes Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:56 pm

and the obsession with Sarah Palin continues...
Markwes
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3096

Back to top Go down

Post  floridafun Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:37 am

i was asked if i was embellishing..i gave supporting documentation to what i stated. that=obcession to you..no surprise there.
floridafun
floridafun
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Female

Back to top Go down

Post  Pez Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:55 am

Markwes wrote:and the obsession with Sarah Palin continues...

Honestly, she's all the GOP seems to have going right now... and geez she's an easy target. Here's a person that is paid to put forth a comedic farce saying something stupid on television... oh... and what dave said was pretty stupid too.

Pez
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male
Number of posts : 1979

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down