The Real Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anti-war Movement?

5 posters

Go down

Anti-war Movement? Empty Anti-war Movement?

Post  Markwes Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:16 pm

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/politics/For-the-Left_-war-without-Bush-is-not-war-at-all-8119694-53506047.html

Remember the anti-war movement? Not too long ago, the Democratic party's most loyal voters passionately opposed the war in Iraq. Democratic presidential candidates argued over who would withdraw American troops the quickest. Netroots activists regularly denounced President George W. Bush, and sometimes the U.S. military ("General Betray Us"). Cindy Sheehan, the woman whose soldier son was killed in Iraq, became a heroine when she led protests at Bush's Texas ranch.

That was then. Now, even though the United States still has roughly 130,000 troops in Iraq, and is quickly escalating the war in Afghanistan -- 68,000 troops there by the end of this year, and possibly more in 2010 -- anti-war voices on the Left have fallen silent.

Wow, I was just thinking about this the other day and then I saw this column in today's News Sentinel. We just saw the most deaths in one month in Afghanistan. Where are the cries of "Bring the boys back home" now? Where is the "Why are we not capturing Bin Laden" now?
Markwes
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3096

Back to top Go down

Anti-war Movement? Empty Re: Anti-war Movement?

Post  LTRT Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:21 pm

Sheehan returns to rebuke Obama
http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=CNG.6e2dd44ecce699b290fad3cf2353a6ce.01&show_article=1

After spending weeks dogging George W. Bush's presidential vacations, anti-war protester Cindy Sheehan is now trying to make life uncomfortable for President Barack Obama.
Sheehan used to pitch a peace camp near Bush's ranch in Crawford, Texas, becoming a symbol of the anti-war movement after her son Casey died in action in Iraq.

On Thursday, she and a band of anti-war protesters turned up outside the media center used by journalists covering Obama's vacation on the well-heeled east coast resort island of Martha's Vineyard.

"The reason I am here is because ... even though the facade has changed in Washington DC, the policies are still the same," Sheehan told a handful of journalists, against a backdrop of her "Camp Casey" banner.

She told US peace activists to wake up and protest Obama's escalation of the war in Afghanistan, and complained that despite the president's anti-war stance, US troops remained in Iraq.

"We have to realize, it is not the president who is power, it is not the party that is in power it is the system that stays the same, no matter who is in charge."

"We are here to make the wars unpopular again," she said.

Copyright AFP 2008, AFP stories and photos shall not be published, broadcast, rewritten for broadcast or publication or redistributed directly or indirectly in any medium

You go girl... Very Happy
LTRT
LTRT
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3456

Back to top Go down

Post  Scooby01_98 Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:36 pm

Obama's handling of the war in Afghanistan and Iraq are one of the things I applaud him on. He has went into Afghanistan not wanting to keep the status quo. I know this is killing the far left, but it is something we have to finish.
Scooby01_98
Scooby01_98
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male
Number of posts : 1642

http://www.nola.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Markwes Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:41 pm

Scooby01_98 wrote:Obama's handling of the war in Afghanistan and Iraq are one of the things I applaud him on. He has went into Afghanistan not wanting to keep the status quo. I know this is killing the far left, but it is something we have to finish.
I have no problem with it either.
Markwes
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:14 am

Scooby01_98 wrote:Obama's handling of the war in Afghanistan and Iraq are one of the things I applaud him on. He has went into Afghanistan not wanting to keep the status quo. I know this is killing the far left, but it is something we have to finish.

War sucks. War with a Bush at the helm sucks worse. I hope we can finish up and get out of there quickly, but maybe Afghanistan is the sticky side of the duct tape job we're doing over there. We coulda had it good in Iraq compared to what is next.

The change in our international posture, and focusing on other international agenda items is certainly different than under Bush.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Pez Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:37 am

I cant really answer where the anti-war movement is... I agree that Obama seems to have a more appropriate strategy in Iraq and Afghansitan... I am personally anti-war, but there are certain things that need to be finished... We cannot leave Iraq a mess, despite the fact that we most likely should not have been there in the first place, and we must capture Osama bin Laden...

Pez
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male
Number of posts : 1979

Back to top Go down

Post  floridafun Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:41 pm

well said pez. i dont like that we need to be involved, but obama did say all along we need to revisit afghanistan which we deserted pretty much after we ruined the infrastructure. i am hoping all fighting troops will be home in next couple years.

and cindy the protest queen..i was never able to appreciate her methods or her reasoning. i am on the side of support our troops and bring them home. but cindy is in a whole different world than i have ever been.
floridafun
floridafun
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Female
Number of posts : 2519

Back to top Go down

Post  Markwes Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:54 pm

floridafun wrote:and cindy the protest queen..i was never able to appreciate her methods or her reasoning. i am on the side of support our troops and bring them home. but cindy is in a whole different world than i have ever been.
The protest queen. Give me a break. I originally doubted her intentions, but I was wrong. Did you refer to Sean Penn, Mr. "make myself a shield" as a protest king? No, because that was anti-Bush, which was fine for you.
Markwes
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:10 pm

floridafun wrote:well said pez. i dont like that we need to be involved, but obama did say all along we need to revisit afghanistan which we deserted pretty much after we ruined the infrastructure. i am hoping all fighting troops will be home in next couple years.

and cindy the protest queen..i was never able to appreciate her methods or her reasoning. i am on the side of support our troops and bring them home. but cindy is in a whole different world than i have ever been.

Have you ever seen or been to Uranus?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:34 am

Markwes wrote:
floridafun wrote:and cindy the protest queen..i was never able to appreciate her methods or her reasoning. i am on the side of support our troops and bring them home. but cindy is in a whole different world than i have ever been.
The protest queen. Give me a break. I originally doubted her intentions, but I was wrong. Did you refer to Sean Penn, Mr. "make myself a shield" as a protest king? No, because that was anti-Bush, which was fine for you.

How appropriate, you laughed at her and decried her when she was heckling Bush now a metamorphasis and now you no longer doubt her intentions. lol
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:50 am

Bman wrote:
Markwes wrote:

How appropriate, you laughed at her and decried her when she was heckling Bush now a metamorphasis and now you no longer doubt her intentions. lol

Oh how sweet. bman coming to the defense of ff. That's a special, tender moment. Precious.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Markwes Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:02 am

Bman wrote:
Markwes wrote:

I said I was wrong about her. Not surprised you don't understand that concept.
Markwes
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  floridafun Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:36 am

i wasnt wrong about her. i didnt like her obvious intentions and methods even when she was doing her best to rile up folks against bush for the death of her son being her only emotional plea to end the war. there are many reasons why it should have been ended properly long before now and the number of murdered and especially the permanently physically or mentally maimed americans is an important piece of the puzzle certainly and rightly, but there are other important reasons. i hate that bush started and continued the iraq war based completely on lies. but it isnt bushes fault my nephew signed up for service and was murdered in iraq. any more than it was bushes fault casey sheehan did the same.
just like it wasnt eisenhowers fault--he started the movement of sending americans to vietnam to replace the retreating french--that one of my brothers who served in vietnam with the marines has spent all his adult life so far stuck in his mind in a place only one who has been part of actual active senseless and inhumane experience of being in the wartime battlefield can understand. he is finally improving. i think he had to review alot of things from his own experience when his son was murdered in iraq.
floridafun
floridafun
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Female
Number of posts : 2519

Back to top Go down

Post  Markwes Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:09 pm

floridafun wrote:i wasnt wrong about her. i didnt like her obvious intentions and methods even when she was doing her best to rile up folks against bush for the death of her son being her only emotional plea to end the war.
So what do you think her obvious intentions are/were? I see those who speak out against a war as either doing it for political reasons, like Bman, or because they genuinely want it to end. I don't see how anything else would be considered obvious.
Markwes
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down