The Real Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bush blames comgress for economy

+3
LTRT
Cincy Fan 44
Markwes
7 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Bush blames comgress for economy Empty Bush blames comgress for economy

Post  Guest Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:02 pm

We spend $122,000/minute in Iraq, and Bush is blaming economic woes on congress' delay in clearing new alaskan oil drilling... Seriously, I am willing to bet that in the time it took me to post this, we have spent more than the annual salary of any single person on this board.

Here's $600, lets rape alaska!!!!
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Bush blames comgress for economy Empty Re: Bush blames comgress for economy

Post  Guest Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:32 pm

I would agree if the problem were crude oil. Regardless, I think we should open ANWR for drilling.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:43 pm

cardinal5150 wrote:I would agree if the problem were crude oil. Regardless, I think we should open ANWR for drilling.

Sacrificing ANWR to get oil is like giving a man a fish. If Gas is suddenly $0.75 a gallon again, there is no incentive to conserve, and we are just buying more time. I dont hold any sort of special place oin my heart for Alaska, no mystical love for the barren wasteland of snow and ice, but I think it's like giving more money to someone who cant manage it properly. If you pay off someone's $10,000 credit card without cutting it up, they are going to have that credit card back up to $10,000 in a year.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Markwes Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:52 pm

Maybe true, but I think it's a bit of an exaggeration to say our consumption would eventually increase to the point where we have the same shortage as we do now. I don't have numbers, but I have to think our gas consumption is not all that much different than it was way back when gas was under a dollar. There is a certain amount of driving that we need to do without some kind of drastic change.
Markwes
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3096

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:12 am

I'm not saying that the availability of oil will immediately increase our consumption, though I can see where you read that from my credit card example. Just saying that drilling in ANWR will attack the symptom and not the problem... 50 years from now we will be talking about opening up Yellowstone...

Yes, there is a certain amount of driving we need to do without a drastic change. But the status quo isn't working anymore... the time for drastic change was probabaly 75 years ago. Without putting forth the contentious idea that the current war in Iraq is about oil, its clear to me that the current war In Iraq would not have taken place if oil was not in such ridiculous demand. Iraq would not have been able to afford the technology necessary to create the WMD's they did/did not have, Iran would not be able to fund it's nuke program...
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Markwes Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:28 am

I understand what you're saying, and I agree that drilling in Alaska won't make a big impact. It's a misconception that many people have that think by drilling on American soil we will cause our prices to drop while the rest of the world pays more. Oil is a global market, so all countries would feel the impact of an increase in supply, which would spread the modest price drop even thinner. The bottom line is it's not an endless resource, together with the fact that worldwide demand has increased with more drivers in China and cars being sold for $2500 in India. Bush can blame Congress, and the public can blame Bush, but it's all about economics.
Markwes
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:48 pm

I see ANWR as a band aid. The best thing about it is that it is domestic. So when a pipeline in Iraq shuts down, we have something to supplement that reduction.

Ultimately oil is the problem no matter what. We need to find a better source of energy for vehicles. Whether it's solar, electrical, natural gas, or whatever.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:01 pm

I for one believe that in an effort to cut down on gas consumption, NASCAR/IRL should suspend all races for the rest of the year (maybe forever), or reduce the # of laps. How about the Indianapolis 200? Or the Brickyard 150? Think about it, what kind of gas mileage do those cars really get? I'm guessing instead of miles per gallon, we're talking GALLONS PER MILE!!! And if they suspended all races, think about the amount of regular gas that would be saved b/c there would be fewer RV's traveling 300 miles to see an event in which all drivers do is drive around in a circle wasting precious gas. Plus, you wouldn't have all the driver's rigs on the road hauling their cars across the country. I'm telling ya', this could save enough gas to run every car on earth for 5 minutes and 19 seconds. Well worth it in my book. NASCAR is the dirtiest event in the country. It's not even a sport. What's the carbon footprint of a racecar driver? Gotta be a million times more than normal people.
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male
Number of posts : 4852

http://www.whodeyrevolution.com

Back to top Go down

Post  LTRT Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:23 pm

Cincy Fan 44 wrote:I for one believe that in an effort to cut down on gas consumption, NASCAR/IRL should suspend all races for the rest of the year (maybe forever), or reduce the # of laps. How about the Indianapolis 200? Or the Brickyard 150? Think about it, what kind of gas mileage do those cars really get? I'm guessing instead of miles per gallon, we're talking GALLONS PER MILE!!! And if they suspended all races, think about the amount of regular gas that would be saved b/c there would be fewer RV's traveling 300 miles to see an event in which all drivers do is drive around in a circle wasting precious gas. Plus, you wouldn't have all the driver's rigs on the road hauling their cars across the country. I'm telling ya', this could save enough gas to run every car on earth for 5 minutes and 19 seconds. Well worth it in my book. NASCAR is the dirtiest event in the country. It's not even a sport. What's the carbon footprint of a racecar driver? Gotta be a million times more than normal people.
affraid

And while were banning things, might as put an end to all sports! Rolling Eyes The least they could do is stop fans from attending the Reds games, that'll save all kinds of gas. Geez, Cincy what's up with the rant against racing anyway? You failed to mention NHRA and since we're banning Nascar, don't stop there. Close all tracks around the country, heck for that matter around the world! Well, since Nascar uses sooo much fuel, might as well put an end to ALL air travel. Since you're talking carbon footprints, might as well take away all private jets from anyone who owns one, wow, we might as well go back to horse and buggys...did you have lunch with Algore?

(can ya tell I LIKE RACING!) bounce
LTRT
LTRT
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3456

Back to top Go down

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:31 pm

LTRT wrote:
Cincy Fan 44 wrote:I for one believe that in an effort to cut down on gas consumption, NASCAR/IRL should suspend all races for the rest of the year (maybe forever), or reduce the # of laps. How about the Indianapolis 200? Or the Brickyard 150? Think about it, what kind of gas mileage do those cars really get? I'm guessing instead of miles per gallon, we're talking GALLONS PER MILE!!! And if they suspended all races, think about the amount of regular gas that would be saved b/c there would be fewer RV's traveling 300 miles to see an event in which all drivers do is drive around in a circle wasting precious gas. Plus, you wouldn't have all the driver's rigs on the road hauling their cars across the country. I'm telling ya', this could save enough gas to run every car on earth for 5 minutes and 19 seconds. Well worth it in my book. NASCAR is the dirtiest event in the country. It's not even a sport. What's the carbon footprint of a racecar driver? Gotta be a million times more than normal people.
affraid

And while were banning things, might as put an end to all sports! Rolling Eyes The least they could do is stop fans from attending the Reds games, that'll save all kinds of gas. Geez, Cincy what's up with the rant against racing anyway? You failed to mention NHRA and since we're banning Nascar, don't stop there. Close all tracks around the country, heck for that matter around the world! Well, since Nascar uses sooo much fuel, might as well put an end to ALL air travel. Since you're talking carbon footprints, might as well take away all private jets from anyone who owns one, wow, we might as well go back to horse and buggys...did you have lunch with Algore?

As for the Reds games...by the looks the empty seats on TV, we're already doing our part and staying home. Don't ban all sports, but maybe reduce the number of games they play? NFL is probably the exception since they play so few times anyway. The baseball season is too long...start it the 3rd week of April and end it on Labor Day Weekend. That way World Series Games actually have a chance of being played when the temperatures are still above 50 degrees. Suspending ALL air travel LTRT? Now you're being ridiculous!
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:35 pm

How 'bout we change it the Indianapolis $500

You get $500 worth of gas and whomever goes the farthest on it, with the fastest time, wins.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  LTRT Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:39 pm

Cincy Fan 44 wrote:
LTRT wrote:
affraid

As for the Reds games...by the looks the empty seats on TV, we're already doing our part and staying home. Don't ban all sports, but maybe reduce the number of games they play? NFL is probably the exception since they play so few times anyway. The baseball season is too long...start it the 3rd week of April and end it on Labor Day Weekend. That way World Series Games actually have a chance of being played when the temperatures are still above 50 degrees. Suspending ALL air travel LTRT? Now you're being ridiculous!

You're the one that suggested the banning of racing, I just took the ridiculous idea one step further. Razz
LTRT
LTRT
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:45 pm

Whatever they do, they better not take away my right to huff gasoline.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  LTRT Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:49 pm

Cincy Fan 44 wrote:NASCAR is the dirtiest event in the country. It's not even a sport.

Tell that to the face of anyone who races and they'll probably come after you with a Louisville Slugger borrowed from one of your Redleggers.
LTRT
LTRT
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:50 pm

Fleek wrote:Whatever they do, they better not take away my right to huff gasoline.

Suddenly we'd up to saving enough gas to power every car in the world for 10 minutes... lol!
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:57 pm

Cincy Fan 44 wrote:NASCAR is the dirtiest event in the country. It's not even a sport.

I wrote a letter to the editor about this maybe 5-6 years ago (called it a game and compared it to Candyland), and I was in the crosshairs of some pretty rough letters for weeks to come. But it was in response to someone who said soccer wasn't a sport, but wrote a list of things that were sports. NASCAR was among them, so of course I had to call the guy out.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:19 pm

LTRT wrote:

Tell that to the face of anyone who races and they'll probably come after you with a Louisville Slugger borrowed from one of your Redleggers.
Yeah, my 3 1/2 year girl could swing harder than any of the drivers. Face it LTRT, drivers are NOT athletes. Now, if they got out of their cars and raced each other on foot around the track, I'd be willing to cut them slack and say that 'maybe' they're an athlete then, and only then. Then their carbon footprint would be a lot less than it is now.

And while I'm thinking about it, eliminating these needless events would do wonders for the economy and the environment. Instead of fans wasting their hard-earned money on attending and buying gas, they could use it to pay their mortgages and other bills. Sure, some people who make a living off the events would have to find new jobs, but that's a risk they should be willing to take for Mother Earth. And then we could tear down the racetracks, plant a whole bunch of trees or windmills and really green up everything.

Ah yes, it's only a matter of time before we all wake up out of our daze and realize the damage that's being done to our planet because of these "athlete" drivers.
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:21 pm

SavoyTruffle wrote:

I wrote a letter to the editor about this maybe 5-6 years ago (called it a game and compared it to Candyland), and I was in the crosshairs of some pretty rough letters for weeks to come. But it was in response to someone who said soccer wasn't a sport, but wrote a list of things that were sports. NASCAR was among them, so of course I had to call the guy out.
Of course Soccer is a sport. It uses a ball! Now if NASCAR drivers had to somehow pass a ball around while driving, I'd be willing to call it a 'sport.'
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Markwes Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:21 pm

SavoyTruffle wrote:

I often wonder why racing fans are so defensive. I paid big money to sit in the stands in Indy once and could see maybe 5% of the track. Yeah, it was neat for 5 minutes to see the cars zooming by. After that it was like "Wow, this is fun." Rolling Eyes
Markwes
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Markwes Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:25 pm

Cincy Fan 44 wrote:
SavoyTruffle wrote:

Of course Soccer is a sport. It uses a ball! Now if NASCAR drivers had to somehow pass a ball around while driving, I'd be willing to call it a 'sport.'
Now, that would be interesting. Or how about a relay team like in track where 4 drivers on the same team have to pass a baton? That would certainly increase the stategizing.
Markwes
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Gusto Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:29 pm

Markwes wrote:
SavoyTruffle wrote:

I often wonder why racing fans are so defensive. I paid big money to sit in the stands in Indy once and could see maybe 5% of the track. Yeah, it was neat for 5 minutes to see the cars zooming by. After that it was like "Wow, this is fun." Rolling Eyes

Went to Indy ONCE. around and around they go,--- bounce silly

Gusto
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Male
Number of posts : 51

Back to top Go down

Post  LTRT Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:36 pm

Cincy Fan 44 wrote:
LTRT wrote:

Yeah, my 3 1/2 year girl could swing harder than any of the drivers. Face it LTRT, drivers are NOT athletes. Now, if they got out of their cars and raced each other on foot around the track, I'd be willing to cut them slack and say that 'maybe' they're an athlete then, and only then. Then their carbon footprint would be a lot less than it is now.

And while I'm thinking about it, eliminating these needless events would do wonders for the economy and the environment. Instead of fans wasting their hard-earned money on attending and buying gas, they could use it to pay their mortgages and other bills. Sure, some people who make a living off the events would have to find new jobs, but that's a risk they should be willing to take for Mother Earth. And then we could tear down the racetracks, plant a whole bunch of trees or windmills and really green up everything.

Ah yes, it's only a matter of time before we all wake up out of our daze and realize the damage that's being done to our planet because of these "athlete" drivers.

Like they say...everyone is entitled to their opinions. What's your beef with racing? Can you handle a car at 180 in the corner with a car within 4" or even closer in front and back of you? I will admit that I probably couldn't. What is your definition of an athlete anyway? Encarta dictionary defines it as follows:
(somebody with athletic ability: somebody with the abilities to participate in physical exercise, especially in competitive games and races). So using your logic, race cars drivers do NOT exert any physical exercise while driving then right? And forget about the competitive aspect of any given race. Are you trying to suggest that it takes more talent to hit a 90 mph fast ball that in does to race, try it sometime and let me know. Better yet, rip off a 1/4 mile at 337.58 in 4.41 seconds.
LTRT
LTRT
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  LTRT Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:41 pm

Markwes wrote:I often wonder why racing fans are so defensive. I paid big money to sit in the stands in Indy once and could see maybe 5% of the track. Yeah, it was neat for 5 minutes to see the cars zooming by. After that it was like "Wow, this is fun." Rolling Eyes

Probably the same reason as if someone said baseball is not a sport or its players are not athletes.

Since WHEN does a sport have to include a BALL.

http://encarta.msn.com/dictionary_/sport.html
LTRT
LTRT
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:41 pm

LTRT wrote:Like they say...everyone is entitled to their opinions. What's your beef with racing? Can you handle a car at 180 in the corner with a car within 4" or even closer in front and back of you? I will admit that I probably couldn't. What is your definition of an athlete anyway? Encarta dictionary defines it as follows:
(somebody with athletic ability: somebody with the abilities to participate in physical exercise, especially in competitive games and races). So using your logic, race cars drivers do NOT exert any physical exercise while driving then right? And forget about the competitive aspect of any given race. Are you trying to suggest that it takes more talent to hit a 90 mph fast ball that in does to race, try it sometime and let me know. Better yet, rip off a 1/4 mile at 337.58 in 4.41 seconds.
lol...ah those crazy dictionary bookworms defining things for us again. By those definitions, I'm going to consider myself an athlete from here on out since I experience all those things everyday on Coliseum Blvd!
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:42 pm

A sport is when the primary energy expelled is physical, and human.

Otherwise it's an exhibition.

Horseracing is not a "sport"

However bowling, is.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next