The Real Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bush blames comgress for economy

+3
LTRT
Cincy Fan 44
Markwes
7 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Bush blames comgress for economy - Page 2 Empty Re: Bush blames comgress for economy

Post  LTRT Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:44 pm

Cincy Fan 44 wrote:
LTRT wrote:Like they say...everyone is entitled to their opinions. What's your beef with racing? Can you handle a car at 180 in the corner with a car within 4" or even closer in front and back of you? I will admit that I probably couldn't. What is your definition of an athlete anyway? Encarta dictionary defines it as follows:
(somebody with athletic ability: somebody with the abilities to participate in physical exercise, especially in competitive games and races). So using your logic, race cars drivers do NOT exert any physical exercise while driving then right? And forget about the competitive aspect of any given race. Are you trying to suggest that it takes more talent to hit a 90 mph fast ball that in does to race, try it sometime and let me know. Better yet, rip off a 1/4 mile at 337.58 in 4.41 seconds.
lol...ah those crazy dictionary bookworms defining things for us again. By those definitions, I'm going to consider myself an athlete from here on out since I experience all those things everyday on Coliseum Blvd!

And I'll do the same...

I played organized ball from 7 to 16 yrs old and have played softball off and on for the past 10 years or so, so I'm just as good as any Redlegger.
LTRT
LTRT
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3456

Back to top Go down

Bush blames comgress for economy - Page 2 Empty Re: Bush blames comgress for economy

Post  Guest Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:49 pm

If your natural, God-given talent helps to determine the outcome of a competition/game...it's a sport.

Relying on a piece of machinery that may not have the best parts available due to corporate sponsorships does not make NASCAR a sport, in my book. Nor does it make someone an athlete.

But then again...I can also see the argument FOR it being a sport AND for it's drivers being athletes.

So, basically...it's whatever you want to believe. There's no right or wrong.

Last edited by Fleek on Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:50 pm

LTRT wrote:
Cincy Fan 44 wrote:
LTRT wrote:Like they say...everyone is entitled to their opinions. What's your beef with racing? Can you handle a car at 180 in the corner with a car within 4" or even closer in front and back of you? I will admit that I probably couldn't. What is your definition of an athlete anyway? Encarta dictionary defines it as follows:
(somebody with athletic ability: somebody with the abilities to participate in physical exercise, especially in competitive games and races). So using your logic, race cars drivers do NOT exert any physical exercise while driving then right? And forget about the competitive aspect of any given race. Are you trying to suggest that it takes more talent to hit a 90 mph fast ball that in does to race, try it sometime and let me know. Better yet, rip off a 1/4 mile at 337.58 in 4.41 seconds.
lol...ah those crazy dictionary bookworms defining things for us again. By those definitions, I'm going to consider myself an athlete from here on out since I experience all those things everyday on Coliseum Blvd!

And I'll do the same...

I played organized ball from 7 to 16 yrs old and have played softball off and on for the past 10 years or so, so I'm just as good as any Redlegger.
Nah, but I'm sure you'd be good enough to be the starting rightfielder for that school up north. lol!
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male
Number of posts : 4852

http://www.whodeyrevolution.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:50 pm

LTRT wrote:I played organized ball from 7 to 16 yrs old and have played softball off and on for the past 10 years or so, so I'm just as good as any Redlegger.

cheers
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:52 pm

How'd we go from Bush blaming congress to Nascar being a sport in 2 pages?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  LTRT Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:54 pm

cardinal5150 wrote:How'd we go from Bush blaming congress to Nascar being a sport in 2 pages?

lol! Ask Cincy..........
LTRT
LTRT
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:58 pm

And I'm on the side of Nascar not being a sport.. activity.. yes.... sport... no. Sports to me are about physical talent, not mechanical.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:01 pm

LTRT wrote:
cardinal5150 wrote:How'd we go from Bush blaming congress to Nascar being a sport in 2 pages?

lol! Ask Cincy..........
Just looking for ways to improve the sluggish economy. Eliminating NASCAR would be a wonderful start. I tried valiantly to explain how in one of my comments. Then LTRT got all defensive about how NASCAR really is a sport. Hah!
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:01 pm

I blame Doe.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:02 pm

Oliver's Army wrote:

I blame Doe.
cheers
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  floridafun Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:18 pm

pez wrote:
cardinal5150 wrote:I would agree if the problem were crude oil. Regardless, I think we should open ANWR for drilling.

Sacrificing ANWR to get oil is like giving a man a fish. If Gas is suddenly $0.75 a gallon again, there is no incentive to conserve, and we are just buying more time. I dont hold any sort of special place oin my heart for Alaska, no mystical love for the barren wasteland of snow and ice, but I think it's like giving more money to someone who cant manage it properly. If you pay off someone's $10,000 credit card without cutting it up, they are going to have that credit card back up to $10,000 in a year.

exactly!
floridafun
floridafun
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Female
Number of posts : 2519

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu May 01, 2008 10:33 am

Cincy Fan 44 wrote:
LTRT wrote:

lol! Ask Cincy..........
Just looking for ways to improve the sluggish economy. Eliminating NASCAR would be a wonderful start. I tried valiantly to explain how in one of my comments. Then LTRT got all defensive about how NASCAR really is a sport. Hah!

Nascar is actually a huge boost to the economy. Have you seen the figures behind how much people spend on their favorite drivers crap? Dale Jr is expected to have the largest merchandising year of any athlete EVER this year because of his change from Bud to whatever he has now. Nascar is a good thing for the economy, they spend spend spend spend spend. Still not a sport though.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Thu May 01, 2008 11:00 am

cardinal5150 wrote:
Cincy Fan 44 wrote:
LTRT wrote:

lol! Ask Cincy..........

Nascar is actually a huge boost to the economy. Have you seen the figures behind how much people spend on their favorite drivers crap? Dale Jr is expected to have the largest merchandising year of any athlete EVER this year because of his change from Bud to whatever he has now. Nascar is a good thing for the economy, they spend spend spend spend spend. Still not a sport though.
Yeah, but I think it's their mortgages their spending on the NASCAR crap, and not 'mad money.' How else do you explain the mortgage meltdown? I would bet that 75% of people having problems paying their mortgage have a basement full of NASCAR stuff (that or Vera Bradley purses).
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  LTRT Thu May 01, 2008 11:12 am

Cincy Fan 44 wrote:I would bet that 75% of people having problems paying their mortgage have a basement full of NASCAR stuff (that or Vera Bradley purses).

You willin' to lay $$$ down on that Cincy?
LTRT
LTRT
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Thu May 01, 2008 11:16 am

LTRT wrote:
Cincy Fan 44 wrote:I would bet that 75% of people having problems paying their mortgage have a basement full of NASCAR stuff (that or Vera Bradley purses).

You willin' to lay $$$ down on that Cincy?
Absolutely positively NOT.
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu May 01, 2008 2:34 pm

I'd bet the Nascar fans are actually better off than most. Reasoning being that most of them don't have the huge new houses, they have the same trailer/house they've had for 20 years, paid off, so they can buy tools, beer and Nascar stickers to put on their trucks.

IMO the mortgage problems are the result of the people who are just below what would be considered well to do. The people making in the 50-70K range (married) who are making enough to where they had some jingle in their pocket, but weren't saving anything for the future, living paycheck to paycheck. Now the cushion is gone.

The stereotypical Nascar fan avoids banks at all costs, and keeps money hidden in jars around the house and buried. Yes, this is a stereotype, but you will find them around. I can only speak of the die hard fans I know, and they fit that mold to some degree, low mortgage, high disposable income because they pay cash for everything, no financing.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu May 01, 2008 3:07 pm

cardinal5150 wrote:I'd bet the Nascar fans are actually better off than most. Reasoning being that most of them don't have the huge new houses, they have the same trailer/house they've had for 20 years, paid off, so they can buy tools, beer and Nascar stickers to put on their trucks.

IMO the mortgage problems are the result of the people who are just below what would be considered well to do. The people making in the 50-70K range (married) who are making enough to where they had some jingle in their pocket, but weren't saving anything for the future, living paycheck to paycheck. Now the cushion is gone.

The stereotypical Nascar fan avoids banks at all costs, and keeps money hidden in jars around the house and buried. Yes, this is a stereotype, but you will find them around. I can only speak of the die hard fans I know, and they fit that mold to some degree, low mortgage, high disposable income because they pay cash for everything, no financing.

Married couple making between $50-70K are considered "almost" well to do. Give me a break. Those people are not "almost" well to do, that is a just getting by wage.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu May 01, 2008 3:49 pm

bman..... come on... step back to reality.. I'm not saying that they are going to be living with you in Brigadoon, but they aren't going to be down in Eaton Green either.

We managed just fine living on $50-70K with a mortgage (living out Northwest), two car payments and two student loans. We weren't struggling and we weren't rich.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu May 01, 2008 3:56 pm

cardinal5150 wrote:And I'm on the side of Nascar not being a sport.. activity.. yes.... sport... no. Sports to me are about physical talent, not mechanical.

Is Chess a sport?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu May 01, 2008 5:50 pm

meta4 wrote:
cardinal5150 wrote:And I'm on the side of Nascar not being a sport.. activity.. yes.... sport... no. Sports to me are about physical talent, not mechanical.

Is Chess a sport?

no.. it's a game.. only requires mental talent. Not physical.

To me Nascar is close, but there's too much of a mechanical element. Golf is a pseudo-sport. It requires some physical talent, even if someone else carries your bags. I'd also argue bowling is a pseudo-sport.. again, some physical talent.. mostly muscle memory though.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu May 01, 2008 7:31 pm

cardinal5150 wrote:
meta4 wrote:

Is Chess a sport?

To me Nascar is close, but there's too much of a mechanical element. Golf is a pseudo-sport. It requires some physical talent, even if someone else carries your bags. I'd also argue bowling is a pseudo-sport.. again, some physical talent.. mostly muscle memory though.

How is Chess different from Cornhole?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu May 01, 2008 9:41 pm

meta4 wrote:
cardinal5150 wrote:
meta4 wrote:

Is Chess a sport?

Teeth
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Thu May 01, 2008 9:52 pm

Oliver's Army wrote:
meta4 wrote:
cardinal5150 wrote:
meta4 wrote:

Is Chess a sport?

Teeth
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri May 02, 2008 10:04 am

Cornhole requires beer.

I don't think either one is a sport.. they are both games. Cornhole requires muscle memory like bowling.. but you are throwing a 6 oz bag of corn instead of a 16 lb ball. And any event that requires a beer automatically eliminates it from contention as a sport.. which I guess means Bowling shouldn't even be a pseudo sport.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri May 02, 2008 10:18 am

Sorry...but "cornhole" cracks me up every time I read it.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next