The Real Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Obama overturns Bush policy on stem cells

+3
Cincy Fan 44
Pez
floridafun
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Obama overturns Bush policy on stem cells Empty Obama overturns Bush policy on stem cells

Post  Guest Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:09 pm

http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/03/09/obama.stem.cells/index.html

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- President Obama signed an executive order Monday repealing a Bush-era policy that limited federal tax dollars for embryonic stem cell research.
President Obama signs the executive order on stem cell policy Monday at the White House.

Obama's move overturns an order signed by President Bush in 2001 that barred the National Institutes of Health from funding research on embryonic stem cells beyond using 60 cell lines that existed at that time.

Obama also signed a presidential memorandum establishing greater independence for federal science policies and programs.

Critics of the Bush administration argued the former president allowed political factors improperly to influence funding decisions for science initiatives as well as to skew official government findings on issues such as global warming.

Obama's action is part of a broader effort to separate science and politics and "restore scientific integrity in governmental decision-making," White House domestic policy adviser Melody Barnes said Sunday.

In a conference call with reporters, Barnes said funding research is also part of the administration's plan to boost the plunging U.S. economy.

"Advances with regard to science and technology help advance our overall national goals around economic growth and job creation," she said, adding, "I think anytime you make an effort to try and separate these pieces of the puzzle, you're missing the entire picture."

But one prominent GOP critic on Sunday accused the administration of using the issue as a distraction from the country's economic slump.

"Why are we going and distracting ourselves from the economy? This is job No. 1. Let's focus on what needs to be done," Rep. Eric Cantor, R-Virginia, told CNN's "State of the Union."

Cantor, the Republican whip in the House of Representatives, has been among the leaders of GOP opposition to Obama's economic policies.

Because stem cells have the potential to turn into any organ or tissue cell in the body, research advocates say they could yield cures to debilitating conditions such as diabetes, Parkinson's disease and spinal injuries. But because work on embryonic stem cells involves the destruction of human embryos, many conservatives supported the limits Bush imposed by executive order in 2001.

Bush twice vetoed legislation -- in July 2006 and June 2007 -- that would have expanded federally funded embryonic stem cell research.

At the time, Bush argued that scientific advances allowed researchers to conduct groundbreaking research without destroying human embryos. Bush's actions led to Democratic criticism that he had put politics over science.

Dr. Harold Varmus, president of Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center and co-chairman of Obama's science advisory council, said Sunday that Obama will "endorse the notion that public policy must be guided by sound, scientific advice."

Obama's order will direct the National Institutes of Health to develop revised guidelines on federal funding for embryonic stem cell research within 120 days, said Varmus, who joined Barnes in the conference call with reporters.

"The president is, in effect, allowing federal funding of human embryonic stem cell research to the extent that it's permitted by law -- that is, work with stem cells themselves, not the derivation of stem cells," he said.

Supporters of the ban said researchers could still obtain private funding or explore alternatives such as adult stem cells. Opponents said the research could be carried out using embryos left over in fertility clinics, which otherwise would be discarded.
advertisement

Sen. Richard Shelby, R-Alabama, has said the Bush policy imposed ethical limits on science.

"My basic tenet here is I don't think we should create life to enhance life and to do research and so forth," Shelby said. "I know that people argue there are other ways. I think we should continue our biomedical research everywhere we can, but we should have some ethics about it."
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Obama overturns Bush policy on stem cells Empty Re: Obama overturns Bush policy on stem cells

Post  floridafun Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:25 pm

Obama overturns Bush policy on stem cells 795451 Obama overturns Bush policy on stem cells 795451 finally science will be allowed again to be science!!
floridafun
floridafun
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Female
Number of posts : 2519

Back to top Go down

Obama overturns Bush policy on stem cells Empty Re: Obama overturns Bush policy on stem cells

Post  Pez Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:25 pm

The stem cells! I can hear their cries!!!!

It amazes me that a fertility clinic is ok, but that stem cell research is not... the critics are cracking me up... lets focus on the economy... lets have some ethics... How many embryos died for the octobabies... that is creating life to enhance life.

Pez
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male
Number of posts : 1979

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:40 pm

This is a great thing IMO. I know little about the nitty-gritty collection process. I'm sure there will be a creepy documentary made, and a non-creepy version.

Hearing about all the Octomommy IVF stuff, I've just about reached my limit of "weird science". The stem-cell research seems much more tame than the fertility hoopla. I especially wanted to vomit when I heard about mothers who chose a sperm donor, and promised not to open Pandora's box, but then later strive to unite all of the donors children (to reunite them with other children from the same biological donor).

I cringe even as I had to write these words.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:25 pm

Well hopefully a cure for diabetes can be found...
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male
Number of posts : 4852

http://www.whodeyrevolution.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:32 pm

Cincy Fan 44 wrote:Well hopefully a cure for diabetes can be found...

Careful... that is a powerful word Very Happy
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:40 pm

meta4 wrote:

Are you saying I should change it??? Wink
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:49 pm

Cincy Fan 44 wrote:
meta4 wrote:

Are you saying I should change it??? Wink

Nope, it's perfect! ...just sayin' I think sometimes people forget to hope because they're afraid to be let down.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Scooby01_98 Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:04 pm

I have no problem with stem cell research. I'm just not sure if it should be gov't funded. They seemed to make quite a few advances on it own without the gov't money.
Scooby01_98
Scooby01_98
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male
Number of posts : 1642

http://www.nola.com

Back to top Go down

Post  LTRT Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:11 pm

Scooby01_98 wrote:I have no problem with stem cell research. I'm just not sure if it should be gov't funded. They seemed to make quite a few advances on it own without the gov't money.

Don't you know the gov't is suppose to fund everything. Twisted Evil
LTRT
LTRT
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3456

Back to top Go down

Post  Markwes Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:22 pm

I might get struck down for saying this, but this is one area I'm a bit at odds with the Catholic church. Some types of homicide are not considered a sin by the church if it will result in fewer deaths. Some wars are justified, self defense, the job of a cop, etc. I don't know why this research would not fall under a similar category.
Markwes
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3096

Back to top Go down

Post  floridafun Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:42 pm

i have never spoken with a religious person who wasnt selective in his/her biblical beliefs. i have never been for ivf. too many kids out there waiting to be adopted to even let that happen imho. i am always confused about how one can be adamantly against abortion but pro birth control which is sooo close--preventing a natural act from taking its course.

oh well i am so happy obama is doing just as i had hoped he would with science..the fun in this arena may be just beginning sunny
floridafun
floridafun
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Female

Back to top Go down

Post  Pez Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:12 am

Scooby01_98 wrote:I have no problem with stem cell research. I'm just not sure if it should be gov't funded. They seemed to make quite a few advances on it own without the gov't money.

I think we should fund it, but we should also have the fortitude to look at the ROI in a few years and determine the effectiveness of that funding.

Pez
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:33 am

Pez wrote:

I think we should fund it, but we should also have the fortitude to look at the ROI in a few years and determine the effectiveness of that funding.

Just like everything else? I agree.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Scooby01_98 Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:32 pm

Pez wrote:

That's the problem once it is funded it is never defunded. The research facilities get used to the money, the congressional district gets used to the money and so on. Just not complaining about this; look at weapons systems for the military.....
Scooby01_98
Scooby01_98
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male
Number of posts : 1642

http://www.nola.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:34 pm

floridafun wrote:Obama overturns Bush policy on stem cells 795451 Obama overturns Bush policy on stem cells 795451 finally science will be allowed again to be science!!
I don't think it wasn't allowed to be science...just that federal dollars weren't going to them. Nobody said they couldn't get private donations...
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:38 pm

Scooby01_98 wrote:
Pez wrote:

That's the problem once it is funded it is never defunded. The research facilities get used to the money, the congressional district gets used to the money and so on. Just not complaining about this; look at weapons systems for the military.....
Good point. Or even, on a more local note, the tax revenue generated to "raise the roof" on the Coliseum. I've heard that was supposed to go away once it was paid for, but we know that will never happen? I could be wrong though.
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  floridafun Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:49 pm

uh,,,i thought bush CHANGED fed funding being used to support stem cell research..and obama just changed it back?
floridafun
floridafun
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Female

Back to top Go down

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:42 pm

floridafun wrote:uh,,,i thought bush CHANGED fed funding being used to support stem cell research..and obama just changed it back?
So in order for something to be "scientific research," it HAS to have federal funding??? scratch
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Pez Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:15 am

Cincy Fan 44 wrote:
floridafun wrote:uh,,,i thought bush CHANGED fed funding being used to support stem cell research..and obama just changed it back?
So in order for something to be "scientific research," it HAS to have federal funding??? scratch

Not necessarily... without federal funding, scientific research must be profitable enough for a private company to fund it, at great risk to their shareholders. It's long been true that the best scientific research is done by the quasi-public sector of universities... IMHO, it should likely stay that way.

Pez
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  floridafun Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:37 am

fed has been funding scientific research since the 1930s. why shouldnt that continue? its what allowed salk to come up with his vaccine and all the heart and cancer and everything else to be researched.
floridafun
floridafun
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Female

Back to top Go down

Post  floridafun Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:40 am

bush stem cell policy was a thanks-for-your-support to the right wing fundies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4k0SMJf7lso

bush and science...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16193443/
floridafun
floridafun
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Female

Back to top Go down

Post  Markwes Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:04 am

floridafun wrote:bush stem cell policy was a thanks-for-your-support to the right wing fundies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4k0SMJf7lso

bush and science...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16193443/
The problem with your logic is that as an athiest, you simply believe any opinion based on religious beliefs should be discarded. And yet I'm assuming you wouldn't believe it would be okay to do research on terminally ill people that hadn't previously been done because of harmful side effects. Why not? Just think of the possible medical breakthoughs working with live people. Point is, what you think is right and wrong is an OPINION.
Markwes
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3096

Back to top Go down

Post  Mort Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:44 am

Your talking faith based bullshit Markwes it has no proof at all

Your talking bullshit my friend Shocked
Mort
Mort
Admin
Admin

Male
Number of posts : 1400

https://therealboard.forumakers.com

Back to top Go down

Post  floridafun Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:58 am

i agree mort!

and this is crazy---"And yet I'm assuming you wouldn't believe it would be okay to do research on terminally ill people that hadn't previously been done because of harmful side effects. Why not? Just think of the possible medical breakthoughs working with live people."

why the fuck would i feel it would be ok to do research with likely negative side effects on my relative who is terminally ill???? stupid analogy of post-born human beings versus cells, NOT in a state of survival capability outside a lab or womb, that are doomed to the dumpster anyway if scientists dont take them and use them. better if they are discreetly tossed?
floridafun
floridafun
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Female

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next