The Real Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Power of Prayer Working For Fla. Governor

3 posters

Go down

Power of Prayer Working For Fla. Governor Empty Power of Prayer Working For Fla. Governor

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:50 pm

http://www.whiotv.com/irresistible/20494906/detail.html

ORLANDO, Fla. -- Could it be divine intervention that's kept Florida safe from hurricanes since Gov. Charlie Crist took office?

Crist said he isn't trying to take credit, but he told a group of real estate agents Friday that he's had prayer notes placed in the Western Wall in Jerusalem each year and no major storms have hit Florida.

Crist noted that just before his election in 2006, Florida had been affected by a total of eight hurricanes in 2004 and 2005.

"Do you know the last time it was we had a hurricane in Florida? It's been awhile. In 2007, I took my first trade mission. Do you know where I went?" said Crist, a Methodist, referring to a trip to Israel.

He then told of going to the Western Wall and inserting a note with a prayer. He said it read, "Dear God, please protect our Florida from storms and other difficulties. Charlie."

"Time goes on -- May, June, July, August, September, October, November, December -- no hurricanes," Crist said. "Thank God."

Last year, Sen. Nan Rich was traveling to Israel and Crist asked her to put a note in the Western Wall, a holy site in Judaism and a place where written prayers are traditionally placed.

"It was the same note, by the way, the same prayer," Crist said.

This year a friend was going to Israel and he gave him a prayer to put in the Western Wall.

"You can do it on the Internet now, but I'd rather have it physically in there," Crist joked.

The note was placed in the wall in May.

"May, June, July, August -- we're getting closer," Crist said. "Knock on wood. I would ask you all to say a prayer."

Afterward, he said he's not taking credit for the lack of storms in this hurricane-prone state.

"I give that to God," Crist said. "But it's nice."

Ahhh, I LOVE the power of prayer!!! (Either that or God thinks there's an 'h' in the name and that His Son is the Governor.)
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male
Number of posts : 4852

http://www.whodeyrevolution.com

Back to top Go down

Power of Prayer Working For Fla. Governor Empty Re: Power of Prayer Working For Fla. Governor

Post  Markwes Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:22 pm

Interesting read there! But I have to say I'm not really a big believer in prayer used to prevent bad things from happening. Because if that's actually possible, then it seems I would also have to believe the reverse is true. When a tragic event happens to what we consider good people, I would have to think they didn't pray for a safe arrival, or no one must have prayed for them. That would be a bit callous.
Markwes
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3096

Back to top Go down

Power of Prayer Working For Fla. Governor Empty Re: Power of Prayer Working For Fla. Governor

Post  Markwes Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:25 pm

Speaking of people with faith in high positions:

http://www.thestate.com/166/story/905402.html?RSS=untracked

WASHINGTON -- An influential geneticist who wears his faith on his sleeve says that as the new director of the National Institutes of Health he won't inject his religious convictions into medical research while pushing cutting-edge science into better bedside care.

"The NIH director needs to focus on science," Dr. Francis Collins told The Associated Press on Monday. "I have no religious agenda for the NIH."

EVERYONE PANIC! Smile
Markwes
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3096

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:43 pm

Not to try to tangent a great deal, but since prayer was mentioned, what do "we" think prayer is?

Is it sorta like asking for stuff?
Is it sorta like merely talking to God?
Is it sorta like quieting one's self to try to "hear" God?
Is it sorta like meditating?
Is it sorta like spellcasting when done in a ritual/methodical way? (meaning one will get what they want if done correctly)

No I'm not trying to bash one group's definition over another, be sacrilegious, or perfunctory. I'm just trying to include everyone.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:49 pm

Markwes wrote:Interesting read there! But I have to say I'm not really a big believer in prayer used to prevent bad things from happening. Because if that's actually possible, then it seems I would also have to believe the reverse is true. When a tragic event happens to what we consider good people, I would have to think they didn't pray for a safe arrival, or no one must have prayed for them. That would be a bit callous.
I just take the position that "Believe what you want, but it certainly can't hurt to ask for God's graciousness."
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male
Number of posts : 4852

http://www.whodeyrevolution.com

Back to top Go down

Post  floridafun Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:08 am

i would agree with florida gov crist..its as meaningful as knocking on wood.
"May, June, July, August -- we're getting closer," Crist said. "Knock on wood. I would ask you all to say a prayer."

and i think it makes the pray-er feel they did the best they could for the person or cause they pray for (and this comment isnt a mocking or criticism, i respect that some do this with the sincerest belief it will help). good intention..but cancelled out if that same prayed-about event happens to another person or cause that got prayed for just as sincerely.
floridafun
floridafun
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Female
Number of posts : 2519

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down