The Real Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Good News: Atheists can get discount at a Tennessee county fair!

4 posters

Go down

Good News:  Atheists can get discount at a Tennessee county fair! Empty Good News: Atheists can get discount at a Tennessee county fair!

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:57 pm

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080815/NEWS01/808150411

So the atheists were feeling left out of a discount that went to Christians who brought in a bulletin? Unbelievable. It's called "life"...deal with it. I mean really, big deal. I wouldn't have qualified for their Senior Citizen discount. You don't see me claiming age discrimination. If they were that concerned, they could have gone to a church service and gotten a bulletin...for FREE. This gives me an idea...I think I'll sue the newspaper b/c of the coupons that others get that I don't because they believe in getting a newspaper. ACLU = American Civil Liberties Union? I think not. ACLU = Anti Christian Liberties Union.
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male
Number of posts : 4852

http://www.whodeyrevolution.com

Back to top Go down

Good News:  Atheists can get discount at a Tennessee county fair! Empty Re: Good News: Atheists can get discount at a Tennessee county fair!

Post  floridafun Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:41 am

its no different than if they gave out the free coupons to only jewish people, or only to those who believe in legal abortion rather than illegal abortion..certain christians would be going after that loud and bawling they are victims..and the aclu would probably be who represented them ,as they have in quite few legal cases. from some of the religious rites perspective the aclu is anti-religion. except when they go to bat for them.
floridafun
floridafun
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Female
Number of posts : 2519

Back to top Go down

Good News:  Atheists can get discount at a Tennessee county fair! Empty Re: Good News: Atheists can get discount at a Tennessee county fair!

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:24 am

But it's not like they were on some street corner handing out the discounts. I'll agree that if they were on a street corner and they were only handing them out to a certain group, there would be discrimination, but they chose to make them available to ANYONE at a certain place, in this case, Christian churches for the festival's "Faith Day." Makes sense to me to leave the discounts at a church then. Just like I would expect to see discounts for Senior Citizens at a Senior Citizen Center (although you could probably just have to show your ID to qualify for something like that. Pretty easy to spot a senior citizen.) It seems like Marketing 101 to me.
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:34 am

You know, come to think of it, my wife and I have used a "Buy one get one" coupon on the back of a church bulletin at Subway. Memo to Subway, look out for a knock at the door from the ACLU! Laughing
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:30 am

Cincy Fan 44 wrote:http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080815/NEWS01/808150411

So the atheists were feeling left out of a discount that went to Christians who brought in a bulletin? Unbelievable. It's called "life"...deal with it. I mean really, big deal. I wouldn't have qualified for their Senior Citizen discount. You don't see me claiming age discrimination. If they were that concerned, they could have gone to a church service and gotten a bulletin...for FREE. This gives me an idea...I think I'll sue the newspaper b/c of the coupons that others get that I don't because they believe in getting a newspaper. ACLU = American Civil Liberties Union? I think not. ACLU = Anti Christian Liberties Union.

I'm glad someone is out there fighting the good fight and keeping the Christians in check. I'd bring a flyer for the Church of the FSM and demand my discount. ;-)
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  moondrop Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:46 am

floridafun wrote:its no different than if they gave out the free coupons to only jewish people, or only to those who believe in legal abortion rather than illegal abortion..certain ATHIESTS would be going after that loud and bawling they are victims..and the aclu would probably be who represented them ,as they have in quite few legal cases. from some of the religious rites perspective the aclu is anti-religion. except when they go to bat for them.

It goes both ways

moondrop
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Female
Number of posts : 351

Back to top Go down

Post  Markwes Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:51 am

To resolve the controversy, fair organizers decided to offer a $2 discount to any fairgoer who presents a bulletin from a church or other religious service, or a printout from a religious or secular group's Web page. General admission is normally $7 for adults and $5 for kids, ages 6-12.
This is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. What if I go to a church that doesn't print a bulletin or have a website? What if I'm an atheist but don't belong to a secular group?

Cincy, I have an idea. Let's bombard the ACLU with requests just like the ones you mentioned, like getting a discount that appears in a newspaper we don't receive, and see how far that goes.
Markwes
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3096

Back to top Go down

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:54 am

Markwes wrote:
To resolve the controversy, fair organizers decided to offer a $2 discount to any fairgoer who presents a bulletin from a church or other religious service, or a printout from a religious or secular group's Web page. General admission is normally $7 for adults and $5 for kids, ages 6-12.
This is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. What if I go to a church that doesn't print a bulletin or have a website? What if I'm an atheist but don't belong to a secular group?

Cincy, I have an idea. Let's bombard the ACLU with requests just like the ones you mentioned, like getting a discount that appears in a newspaper we don't receive, and see how far that goes.
Or what if you didn't pick up the bulletin that week? Or you misplaced it? Or your dog ate it? Oh my...world's will be colliding!!! Twisted Evil
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:03 pm

I think coupons are stupid. It's borderline false advertising/price misrepresentation. Example: you have 2 customers in the drive thru at Arby's and one is charged full price, the next car gets 2 for 1. I know the idea behind it is to market and sell sandwiches or whatever but essentially you have 2 advertised prices. If I got to Arby's and the sign out front says Arby's sandwich $4 and I pull up to the window and the cashier asks for $5.35 I'm sure as hell going to ask for a price adjustment because the advertised price is what they have to sell it for by law.

What makes a piece of paper different from a menu/sign outside a restaurant? The coupon says no cash value, not legal for trade, etc. but essentially it's an advertised price. Using that line of thought, I could walk in behind a person using a 2 for 1 coupon and demand the same price, because it's advertised right there on the coupon.

Sound crazy?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:12 pm

Who the flip cares? You get discounts at chick-fil-a with a church bulletin.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Markwes Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:17 pm

meta4 wrote:I think coupons are stupid. It's borderline false advertising/price misrepresentation. Example: you have 2 customers in the drive thru at Arby's and one is charged full price, the next car gets 2 for 1. I know the idea behind it is to market and sell sandwiches or whatever but essentially you have 2 advertised prices. If I got to Arby's and the sign out front says Arby's sandwich $4 and I pull up to the window and the cashier asks for $5.35 I'm sure as hell going to ask for a price adjustment because the advertised price is what they have to sell it for by law.

What makes a piece of paper different from a menu/sign outside a restaurant? The coupon says no cash value, not legal for trade, etc. but essentially it's an advertised price. Using that line of thought, I could walk in behind a person using a 2 for 1 coupon and demand the same price, because it's advertised right there on the coupon.

Sound crazy?
I wouldn't call it crazy, but maybe a stretch. It's a business's discretion to sell something at a lower price than advertised. Whether it's a coupon, an unadvertised sale, or a senior discount, they are willing to take the hit for a possible increase in volume.
Markwes
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3096

Back to top Go down

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:37 pm

pez wrote:Who the flip cares? You get discounts at chick-fil-a with a church bulletin.
Big breath...UH OH!!! Laughing
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down