The Real Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Orleans trash leave garbage for colleges to clean up

2 posters

Go down

New Orleans trash leave garbage for colleges to clean up Empty New Orleans trash leave garbage for colleges to clean up

Post  Guest Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:05 pm

Colleges Clean Up Dangerous Trash Left By Gustav Evacuees

Posted: Sep 9, 2008 09:49 PM

BOAZ, Ala. (WAAY) -- Cleanup crews at some Tennessee Valley colleges have warned students and staff about potential health risks at their gyms after hundreds of evacuees came to north Alabama to escape Hurricane Gustav.

With old food, used toiletries, dirty blankets, the gymnasium at Snead State Community College was trashed Tuesday. About 300 hurricane evacuees had called the home for four days last week.

Within 10 minutes of arriving at the facility, school officials asked WAAY-31 News to leave. However, during the brief time the reporter was there, a syringe, a condom and used underwear were plainly visible.

School officials said that when the evacuees heard they were leaving, they left behind a big mess.

"There's just a lot to consider with the cleanup," said Snead State spokeswoman Shelley Smith. "We want to take everything into consideration. That's why we've brought in professionals that've done this before."

Tuberculosis, staph infections and hepatitis are just some of the health diseases that may be lurking inside the gym. Megan Reynolds is on the women's basketball team, which will condition outside and not on their home court for the next few days.

"It's affecting all of the college athletes," Reynolds said. "Because volleyball is practicing at a high school, they have to drive 45 miles. We're practicing in a smaller gym, so we can't really run. And the guys are practicing wherever they can."

The moves are just a temporary solution until the gym is all cleaned up. But looking around on Tuesday, it won't be easy.

Snead State isn't alone. There are reports of similar problems at other Alabama colleges as well.

It will cost about $20,000 to clean up the Snead State gymnasium. School officials said the Federal Emergency Management Agency will foot the bill.

Reporter: Alcides Segui
Web Editor: Dana Franks

(Copyright 2008 by WAAY-TV. All Rights Reserved.)
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

New Orleans trash leave garbage for colleges to clean up Empty Re: New Orleans trash leave garbage for colleges to clean up

Post  iberlingirl Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:02 pm

Damn.... ppl are freakin' nasty!!! I would be mortified to leave a place that helped me in a time of need, a mess... Do they think the college will help them (if needed) again? I sure as hell wouldn't.
iberlingirl
iberlingirl
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Female
Number of posts : 1185

Back to top Go down

New Orleans trash leave garbage for colleges to clean up Empty Re: New Orleans trash leave garbage for colleges to clean up

Post  Guest Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:13 pm

I think the LA governor needs to keep his people in his own state.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  iberlingirl Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:20 pm

Jugomugo wrote:I think the LA governor needs to keep his people in his own state.
Yup, that too!
iberlingirl
iberlingirl
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Female

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:28 am

Ok.. you get evacuated from your house because it might get destroyed and yet you remember to bring condoms with you to a gym to have sex while you may lose everything you have???
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  floridafun Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:10 am

lol!
floridafun
floridafun
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Female
Number of posts : 2519

Back to top Go down

Post  iberlingirl Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:28 am

cardinal5150 wrote:Ok.. you get evacuated from your house because it might get destroyed and yet you remember to bring condoms with you to a gym to have sex while you may lose everything you have???
Yeah that would be my first thought, "WooHoo, I might get laid better take rain gear" NOT!!! affraid
iberlingirl
iberlingirl
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Female

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down