The Real Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Las Lomas - Fort Wayne

5 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Las Lomas - Fort Wayne Empty Las Lomas - Fort Wayne

Post  Guest Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:04 pm

Best mexican in town ... I also like La Margarita. I was talking to a guy who was born and raised until he was 16 in Mexico yesterday and he said Las Lomas was the authenic mexican restaurant in Fort Wayne ... that the masses will go too. He said he will take me for some REAL mexican some night ... he said Cebolla's is nothing more than bastardized mexican food.

Anyone been to Las Lomas ... I prefer the one on Fairfield. I have met Jugo there 3 or 4 times and Pez twice.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Las Lomas - Fort Wayne Empty Re: Las Lomas - Fort Wayne

Post  LTRT Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:26 pm

Do they also have one by Coliseum and Lake Av?
LTRT
LTRT
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3456

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:41 pm

Yes they do ... the one on Fairfield is more authentic in terms of atmosphere I think .. but the food is probably the same.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  LTRT Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:45 pm

I thought so, don't get that way too much, but have wanted to try them. Boy, that place near Lake has been so many restaurants. I worked there as a cook when it was Sambo's in '79 Smile
LTRT
LTRT
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:49 pm

Been to the one on Lake a few times and thought it was pretty good. It's about the only one I've found so far that actually has any authenticity and /or flavor. Everyone I ask always recommends really lame places that are horrible. Let me know where he takes you for 'real' mexican food. Which one is la Margarita? that new place in Jefferson Point? I hope not, cause that place is really boring but has decent chips.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:02 pm

Vis wrote:Been to the one on Lake a few times and thought it was pretty good. It's about the only one I've found so far that actually has any authenticity and /or flavor. Everyone I ask always recommends really lame places that are horrible. Let me know where he takes you for 'real' mexican food. Which one is la Margarita? that new place in Jefferson Point? I hope not, cause that place is really boring but has decent chips.

Hey Vis ... La Margarita is on Calhoun Street, south of the Oyster Bar a few block. Has a big blue awning or something like that over it's entry way. Good food there too ...

I gotta agree, that place in JP (El Patron) is not very good at all. My friend Julie liked that ranch dipping sauce that they bring out ... I am not too keen on that place. You know what though, their margaritas are pretty good.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:48 am

I don't recall which one I went to, it may have been La Margarita, but it was horrible! Food was about as bland as Bandidos.

Las Lomas is my choice of poison, especially since it's within walking distance. Cebolla's at Time Corner's isn't horrible either.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Aggie Transplant Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:56 pm

LTRT2 wrote:I thought so, don't get that way too much, but have wanted to try them. Boy, that place near Lake has been so many restaurants. I worked there as a cook when it was Sambo's in '79 Smile

Brief tangent: Geez, that's a blast from the past! My first job was at a waitress at a Sambo's in Greenville, Mississippi. I generally never refer to it by name, just call it a "coffee shop."

Aggie Transplant
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Female
Number of posts : 1124

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:39 pm

LTRT2 wrote:I thought so, don't get that way too much, but have wanted to try them. Boy, that place near Lake has been so many restaurants. I worked there as a cook when it was Sambo's in '79 Smile

Wild... My folks used to take me to Sambo's in Emporia, KS... there was a sinclair station across the street that still had the big green dinosaur out front. I had the Childrens book too... "Little Brave Sambo" the one where the tigers run around the tree, turn into Butter that Sambo eats on pancakes... The copy of the book at grandmas house was "Little Black Sambo", the copy at my house was "Little Brave Sambo" I remember asking my parents about this, but dont really remember what they said... I'm sure they changed the subject pretty quickly...
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:55 pm

What the heck is Sambo's? Keep in mind, I was not yet born in '79.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Las Lomas - Fort Wayne Empty Sambo's

Post  LTRT Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:25 pm

Jugomugo wrote:What the heck is Sambo's? Keep in mind, I was not yet born in '79.

A franchised restaurant that was primarily based in the SE but migrated to the midwest. Known best for their breakfast, I would equate them to the Big Boy franchises. At one time I think the Fort had about 8 or so in town, pretty much started shutting down when Shoney's (if you remember those) hit the scene.
LTRT
LTRT
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:11 pm

Ah, yeah. Found it online. Looks like some race-related issues led to their downfall.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  floridafun Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:53 pm

thats the reason...

but by golly in cleveland the STILL have their INDIANS Laughing
floridafun
floridafun
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Female
Number of posts : 2519

Back to top Go down

Post  Mort Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:51 pm

Went to Los Lomas on Fairfield and took a friend from Colo. and my wife it was really good .

Real Mexican food not that bland shit like La marg or bandidos.

Can't wait to go back !
Mort
Mort
Admin
Admin

Male
Number of posts : 1400

https://therealboard.forumakers.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:56 pm

I went to the Los Lomas on Fairfield and was disgusted. The salsa tasted like dish soap.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Mort Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:31 pm

Fleek wrote:I went to the Los Lomas on Fairfield and was disgusted. The salsa tasted like dish soap.

wierd did you say something?

has anyone been in the kitchen?

lol it tasted pretty good

affraid
Mort
Mort
Admin
Admin

Male
Number of posts : 1400

https://therealboard.forumakers.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:15 am

Fleek wrote:I went to the Los Lomas on Fairfield and was disgusted. The salsa tasted like dish soap.

I like Las Lomas, Fleek what is your favorite mexican in town? Do you miss Chi Chi's!?!?! lol
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:54 am

Bman wrote:

I like Las Lomas, Fleek what is your favorite mexican in town? Do you miss Chi Chi's!?!?! lol

There are no Mexican restaurants in town that I swear by. And I don't do the Chi Chi's, Bandito's, Don Pablos crap.

If I had to choose, I'd pick Cebolla's even though it's nothing super special.

Although, their Quesadilla Relena is badass.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:30 pm

Mort wrote:

wierd did you say something?

has anyone been in the kitchen?

lol it tasted pretty good

affraid

I've never had a bad meal at the Las Lomas on Fairfield... even when Pez suggested Lingua. They ARE the closest thing to authentic mexican food in Fort Wayne IMHO. I spent 2 weeks in Mexico about 10 years ago, and I was pleasantly surprised when I went to Las Lomas. I can tell where they stray from the authentic towards americanized, but if you request something like Lingua, they have it. My wife and I ate at the Lomas east, at Lake and Coliseum and I wasn't particularly impressed with the service that time, but I've never had a bad experience at Fairfield.

I can tell you that the worst experience with Mexican food I had was at Mi Pueblo (across from the shang west?), my wife and I went in there once and I ordered a burrito with cheese sauce and it tasted like it was from a can... I've never darkened that doorstep since. It was shameful.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:42 pm

meta4 wrote:I can tell you that the worst experience with Mexican food I had was at Mi Pueblo (across from the shang west?), my wife and I went in there once and I ordered a burrito with cheese sauce and it tasted like it was from a can... I've never darkened that doorstep since. It was shameful.

I forgot all about that shithole. What a joke of a restaurant.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:50 pm

Fleek wrote:
meta4 wrote:I can tell you that the worst experience with Mexican food I had was at Mi Pueblo (across from the shang west?), my wife and I went in there once and I ordered a burrito with cheese sauce and it tasted like it was from a can... I've never darkened that doorstep since. It was shameful.

I forgot all about that shithole. What a joke of a restaurant.

But I know TONS of people who absolutely LOVE it... I can't do anything but shake my head and keep quiet. After all, I have only ONE bad thing to say and some people prefer a more "objective" survey. hehe Smile
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:38 pm

Talked with a person Sunday who likes Agava's (sp?), but anything in an old Shoney's is usually spooky ... the person said they have completely redone the place and I have not been there so I should probably refrain from comment, I guess I will have to try it. I know Ryan Duvall reviewed the place but I forget what he had to say about it.

I know Mort or was it Fleek who said above they did not like La Margarita, but that is probably my second favorite place in town. Cebolla's is ok, just too much comotion in there and screaming kids and looks like a McDonalds playland with all of the colors and the booth decor, just not my thing ... reminds me of a ChiChi's atmosphere, granted the food is always pretty good, just the atmosphere I don't care for I guess.

Ok .. enough of bman being a food critic, hell I will eat anything.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:45 pm

Bman wrote:Talked with a person Sunday who likes Agava's (sp?), but anything in an old Shoney's is usually spooky ... the person said they have completely redone the place and I have not been there so I should probably refrain from comment, I guess I will have to try it. I know Ryan Duvall reviewed the place but I forget what he had to say about it.

I know Mort or was it Fleek who said above they did not like La Margarita, but that is probably my second favorite place in town. Cebolla's is ok, just too much comotion in there and screaming kids and looks like a McDonalds playland with all of the colors and the booth decor, just not my thing ... reminds me of a ChiChi's atmosphere, granted the food is always pretty good, just the atmosphere I don't care for I guess.

Ok .. enough of bman being a food critic, hell I will eat anything.

I forgot about La Margarita ... I don't think I've ever eaten there... I know I know, I used to live in that 'hood and never got down there. I had that confused with El Rey. I forgot about El Rey, they are also quite authentic. I've been there twice. Once for lunch and once for a mid-evening lunch type thing.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:13 pm

I've only had one experience with La Margarita. I wasn't in the mood for Mexican food that night, so I got a bacon cheeseburger and it turned out to be the best bacon cheeseburger I've ever had at a restaurant in FW.

Ossian bacon is key.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:50 pm

El Rey is not even El Rey anymore I don't think ... it is something Fogato or something. I never step foot into a mexican restaurant that can't serve margaritas and El Rey's license did not allow them if I remember correctly, that was a long time ago, when I lived here the first time from 95-97.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next