The Real Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Holder: US is nation of cowards on racial matters

+3
floridafun
Cincy Fan 44
LTRT
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Holder: US is nation of cowards on racial matters Empty Holder: US is nation of cowards on racial matters

Post  LTRT Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:23 pm

Holder: US is nation of cowards on racial matters
http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D96E53483&show_article=1

WASHINGTON (AP) - Attorney General Eric Holder described the United States Wednesday as a nation of cowards on matters of race, saying most Americans avoid discussing unresolved racial issues.
In a speech to Justice Department employees marking Black History Month, Holder said the workplace is largely integrated but Americans still self-segregate on the weekends and in their private lives.

"Though this nation has proudly thought of itself as an ethnic melting pot, in things racial we have always been and continue to be, in too many ways, essentially a nation of cowards," said Holder, nation's first black attorney general.

Race issues continue to be a topic of political discussion, Holder said, but "we, as average Americans, simply do not talk enough with each other about race."

He urged people of all races to use Black History Month as a chance for frank talk about racial matters.

"It is an issue we have never been at ease with and, given our nation's history, this is in some ways understandable," Holder said. "If we are to make progress in this area, we must feel comfortable enough with one another and tolerant enough of each other to have frank conversations about the racial matters that continue to divide us."

He told Justice Department employees they have a special responsibility to advance racial understanding.
Copyright 2009 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

More like a nation of double standards... Rolling Eyes

And how many voted for Obama because of skin color? scratch
LTRT
LTRT
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3456

Back to top Go down

Holder: US is nation of cowards on racial matters Empty Re: Holder: US is nation of cowards on racial matters

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:16 am

And now it's going to become a nation of cowards again when it comes to interrogation techniques too! Somebody has to make the sausage! Wink
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male
Number of posts : 4852

http://www.whodeyrevolution.com

Back to top Go down

Holder: US is nation of cowards on racial matters Empty Re: Holder: US is nation of cowards on racial matters

Post  floridafun Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:31 am

LTRT wrote:Holder: US is nation of cowards on racial matters
http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D96E53483&show_article=1

WASHINGTON (AP) - Attorney General Eric Holder described the United States Wednesday as a nation of cowards on matters of race, saying most Americans avoid discussing unresolved racial issues.
In a speech to Justice Department employees marking Black History Month, Holder said the workplace is largely integrated but Americans still self-segregate on the weekends and in their private lives.

"Though this nation has proudly thought of itself as an ethnic melting pot, in things racial we have always been and continue to be, in too many ways, essentially a nation of cowards," said Holder, nation's first black attorney general.

Race issues continue to be a topic of political discussion, Holder said, but "we, as average Americans, simply do not talk enough with each other about race."

He urged people of all races to use Black History Month as a chance for frank talk about racial matters.

"It is an issue we have never been at ease with and, given our nation's history, this is in some ways understandable," Holder said. "If we are to make progress in this area, we must feel comfortable enough with one another and tolerant enough of each other to have frank conversations about the racial matters that continue to divide us."

He told Justice Department employees they have a special responsibility to advance racial understanding.
Copyright 2009 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

And how many voted for Obama because of skin color? scratch

you sir are who mr holder is addressing.

how many voted for him ONLY because of his color are surely more than balanced out by those who DIDNT vote for him only because of his color. had this conversation with you before.
floridafun
floridafun
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Female
Number of posts : 2519

Back to top Go down

Post  floridafun Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:36 am

Cincy Fan 44 wrote:And now it's going to become a nation of cowards again when it comes to interrogation techniques too! Somebody has to make the sausage! Wink

seems to me your fantasies about torture have little to do with soldiers getting misinformation via torture from someone whose crime is fighting against america instead of for america.

did you get mrs cincy a cute leather whip for valentines day? tongue
floridafun
floridafun
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Female

Back to top Go down

Post  LTRT Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:16 am

floridafun wrote:how many voted for him ONLY because of his color are surely more than balanced out by those who DIDNT vote for him only because of his color. had this conversation with you before.

Yes we did... McNabb thread was a great example where a QB in the NFL voted for the first time because of color. Rolling Eyes

Even your buddy Lanny Davis said he should've chosen better words.

floridafun wrote:you sir are who mr holder is addressing.

So you want to call me a racist huh? Rolling Eyes Unless we've met and I can't remember, then you haven't a clue outside of this message board. But thankfully we have this thing in America called free speech, so feel free to continue spouting your off the wall insults, anyone who is associated with this board knows this is one of your better qualities....any discourse from the right and we're racist, homophobes, etc........."had this conversation with you before"
LTRT
LTRT
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:38 am

floridafun wrote:did you get mrs cincy a cute leather whip for valentines day? tongue
Why, are you jealous? Twisted Evil
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:36 pm

Dang boys... calm down

In context, I feel like Holder's comments were also talking about me as well. Am I racist? Sure, some... maybe. Do I daily want to hash and rehash these thoughts and feelings when most of the time, there is neither a social opportunity, nor benefit to doing so? Uh, NO. IMO, I'll address that when it comes up again, and look for an opportunity to make the situation better, instead of indulging in my "comfort zone"... maybe I can make the situation better one opportunity or moment at a time.

I tell you what, It's not the "quiet" ones that get to me. I get uncomfortable with really flagrant homosexual behavior just as I do with really flagrant racist behavior. I have friends that are racist, and openly admit it. I have friends that are gay and are open about it.

Am I alone? I hope not.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:45 pm

I don't think you're alone. Flagrant homosexual behavior makes me uncomfortable too. But, flagrant hetrosexual behavior (if we're talking about in public situations) also makes me uncomfortable. Peck on the lips and hugging? Fine. All out groping and tongue action...get a room for Pete's sake!
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:04 pm

Cincy Fan 44 wrote:I don't think you're alone. Flagrant homosexual behavior makes me uncomfortable too. But, flagrant hetrosexual behavior (if we're talking about in public situations) also makes me uncomfortable. Peck on the lips and hugging? Fine. All out groping and tongue action...get a room for Pete's sake!

Meh, Sometimes I feel like others shouldn't care what I think. If you don't like the way I'm living... just leave this long haired country boy alone.

But Holder's comments kinda scare me too. I think I understand what he was attempting to say, but THAT message is hard to convey in a few sentences or a sound bite. It wasn't a smooth move.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:33 pm

And has there been a backlash against him for these comments? I haven't seen it. Imagine if a white A.G. had said Americans are a bunch of cowards when it comes to taking care of their own kids. That person would be screwed, blued, tattooed and BBQ'd. But oh no, it's fine if Holder says it.
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  LTRT Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:48 pm

Cincy Fan 44 wrote:And has there been a backlash against him for these comments? I haven't seen it. Imagine if a white A.G. had said Americans are a bunch of cowards when it comes to taking care of their own kids. That person would be screwed, blued, tattooed and BBQ'd. But oh no, it's fine if Holder says it.

LTRT wrote:

We can't say "nation of whiners", but it's ok for "nation of cowards"...

depends which side of the aisle you're on. Arrow
LTRT
LTRT
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Markwes Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:01 pm

I'm really having a hard time making sense of his remarks. "but Americans still self-segregate on the weekends and in their private lives." So what exactly are you asking us to do?
Markwes
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3096

Back to top Go down

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:07 pm

Markwes wrote:I'm really having a hard time making sense of his remarks. "but Americans still self-segregate on the weekends and in their private lives." So what exactly are you asking us to do?
Holder: US is nation of cowards on racial matters 880362
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Markwes Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:15 pm

Cincy Fan 44 wrote:
Markwes wrote:I'm really having a hard time making sense of his remarks. "but Americans still self-segregate on the weekends and in their private lives." So what exactly are you asking us to do?
So I guess if I see my black neighbor outside one day, I should walk up to him and say "Hi neighbor. Let's talk about the things that divide us racially." He will say "That's a great idea.". I have really been a coward for years. But things are looking brighter! Cool
Markwes
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Aggie Transplant Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:24 pm

meta4 wrote:I tell you what, It's not the "quiet" ones that get to me. I get uncomfortable with really flagrant homosexual behavior just as I do with really flagrant racist behavior. I have friends that are racist, and openly admit it. I have friends that are gay and are open about it.

Am I alone? I hope not.

Your post seems to imply flagrant homosexual behavior is as bad as flagrant racist behavior; is that what you meant?

Aggie Transplant
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Female
Number of posts : 1124

Back to top Go down

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:24 pm

Markwes wrote:
Cincy Fan 44 wrote:
So I guess if I see my black neighbor outside one day, I should walk up to him and say "Hi neighbor. Let's talk about the things that divide us racially." He will say "That's a great idea.". I have really been a coward for years. But things are looking brighter! Cool
And just think, you only had to have gov't tell you what to do. I think I'll head down to the SE side tonight and try to reduce my cowardliness. Who's with me?
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:25 pm

Markwes wrote:
Cincy Fan 44 wrote:

+1 great post!
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  LTRT Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:26 pm

Cincy Fan 44 wrote:
Markwes wrote:
Cincy Fan 44 wrote:
And just think, you only had to have gov't tell you what to do. I think I'll head down to the SE side tonight and try to reduce my cowardliness. Who's with me?

I'll go...maybe it'll put to bed any misconceptions that FF has about me. Twisted Evil
LTRT
LTRT
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:37 pm

Aggie Transplant wrote:
meta4 wrote:I tell you what, It's not the "quiet" ones that get to me. I get uncomfortable with really flagrant homosexual behavior just as I do with really flagrant racist behavior. I have friends that are racist, and openly admit it. I have friends that are gay and are open about it.

Am I alone? I hope not.

Your post seems to imply flagrant homosexual behavior is as bad as flagrant racist behavior; is that what you meant?

Not really. I say both make me feel uncomfortable, but apparently I'm cowardly if I would rather not bring up a difficult subject to each group - that their behavior makes me uncomfortable. Not really a question of what kind of behavior is "bad" or "good", just that I recognize - call it cowardly if you will - a desire within myself not to develop that uncomfortable situation into something even more uncomfortable.

Ok, an example. I do tech support for a company which has several hundred clients. One of these clients has an office manager who is openly and flamingly gay. One of the first times I talked with him on the phone he began antagonizing, making subtle remarks, etc. I didn't appreciate that. I felt as though he was harassing me with his personal lifestyle choice within the context of a business setting. His employer tolerates his crass behavior because they are afraid if they say "that's not professional behavior" he would file a lawsuit. Cowards. They should tell him to shut the fu*k up and be professional or find another job. It's a profound lack of professional business acumen.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Aggie Transplant Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:59 am

Thanks for the explanation.

so, you were basically sexually harassed -- awful no matter which gender it's coming from.

Aggie Transplant
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Female
Number of posts : 1124

Back to top Go down

Post  floridafun Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:58 am

Cincy Fan 44 wrote:I don't think you're alone. Flagrant homosexual behavior makes me uncomfortable too. But, flagrant hetrosexual behavior (if we're talking about in public situations) also makes me uncomfortable. Peck on the lips and hugging? Fine. All out groping and tongue action...get a room for Pete's sake!

so..just curious..do you have the same thought when its a straight couple all-out groping and tongue action in public? i do.
floridafun
floridafun
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Female

Back to top Go down

Post  floridafun Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:04 am

Markwes wrote:
Cincy Fan 44 wrote:

uh..how about just going over and getting acquainted and building on that. talk about kids, schools, lawn care..make a start. allow the same opportunity for friendship to begin as you would anyone who looked/seemed more like you? once you became comfortable together you might be surprised at some of their views and experiences. pretend its a white guy..or some "in style" race. pretend they are just another human, like you are.
floridafun
floridafun
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Female

Back to top Go down

Post  Markwes Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:50 am

floridafun wrote:uh..how about just going over and getting acquainted and building on that. talk about kids, schools, lawn care..make a start. allow the same opportunity for friendship to begin as you would anyone who looked/seemed more like you? once you became comfortable together you might be surprised at some of their views and experiences. pretend its a white guy..or some "in style" race. pretend they are just another human, like you are.
I guess you missed my sarcasm.
Markwes
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Cincy Fan 44 Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:23 am

floridafun wrote:

so..just curious..do you have the same thought when its a straight couple all-out groping and tongue action in public? i do.
Isn't that the same as the "heterosexual" situation I mentioned? scratch

At any rate, again, "Yes." Happened at a class reunion I was at between a guy and (I assume) his wife. Among the thoughts going thru my head at the time were "Get a room", "Get a life", "Quit acting like you're a sophomore." Just was an uncomfortable situation for me.
Cincy Fan 44
Cincy Fan 44
Jedi Council Member
Jedi Council Member

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  floridafun Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:08 am

Cincy Fan 44 wrote:
floridafun wrote:

Isn't that the same as the "heterosexual" situation I mentioned? scratch

At any rate, again, "Yes." Happened at a class reunion I was at between a guy and (I assume) his wife. Among the thoughts going thru my head at the time were "Get a room", "Get a life", "Quit acting like you're a sophomore." Just was an uncomfortable situation for me.

sorry cincy--i apparently skimmed over the part where you said hetro makes you uncomfortable too!! sunny drunken
floridafun
floridafun
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Female

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next