The Real Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sunday 3:45 PM Economic Town Hall Meeting

+3
Scooby01_98
Cincy Fan 44
Markwes
7 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Sunday 3:45 PM Economic Town Hall Meeting - Page 4 Empty Re: Sunday 3:45 PM Economic Town Hall Meeting

Post  Guest Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:40 am

Bman wrote:
82% of Americans feel like we are in a recession. Wages that have not kept up, jobs shipped overseas, benefits cut, pensions eliminated yet CEO's and Executives get huge stock option payouts because they maximized shareholder value. Limbaugh and you can not convince the American public that we are not in the throws of a recession. Alan Greespan has said so, Bernake has hinted and danced around it so you and Limbaugh trying to convince the American public is fascinatingly funny.

I'd be willing to bet somewhere north of 80% of the country would have impeached FDR had they known what he was doing behind the scenes before we entered WWII as well, instead the re-elected him. Sometimes the American public isn't exactly the best barometer of what is actually going on.

Job claims are going down, interest rates are down, this stupid stimulus package is starting to get out the door, we're going to see the largest game release ever this week in GTA 4, gas is up over 300% from about 6 years ago and yet people are still buying Yukon's and Hummers. The doom and gloom theory that you are proposing is simply a media tactic to scare people into voting for whoever says they'll give them the most money.

We may be in a recession, ultimately it only matters what you personally think. As IG has said, he's better off now than 8 years ago, and so am I. But 8 years ago I think both of us were in college as well. If it weren't for student loans personally I'd be living it up right now, but that extra car payment/month doesn't really help things.

As for the CEO pay.. that's set by the market, not the governement, and it should never be a government issue. If investors disagree with CEO pay they'll stop investing and the company will go down, which will result in the CEO getting canned. I'll take people who have skin in the game deciding what someone should get paid over the government anyday.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Sunday 3:45 PM Economic Town Hall Meeting - Page 4 Empty Re: Sunday 3:45 PM Economic Town Hall Meeting

Post  Markwes Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:33 pm

Reverend Wright is going to single-handedly cost Obama the Democratic nomination. What a pal!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080429/ap_on_el_pr/obama_pastor
Markwes
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3096

Back to top Go down

Post  Mort Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:28 am

Speaking of gas/fuel why does the govt tax our fuel? How much does the city county state and feds tax us for our fuel?

And why we are taxed everywhere

What do we need another tea party?

www.api.org/aboutoilgas/gasoline/upload/State-Motor-Fuel-Tax-Rates.pdf+fuel+taxes%2Bindiana&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=13&gl=us" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:4bEA64G79HUJ:www.api.org/aboutoilgas/gasoline/upload/State-Motor-Fuel-Tax-Rates.pdf+fuel+taxes%2Bindiana&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=13&gl=us

http://www.artba.org/economics_research/current_issues/indiana-illinois_gas_tax_2001_.pdf
Mort
Mort
Admin
Admin

Male
Number of posts : 1400

https://therealboard.forumakers.com

Back to top Go down

Post  IrishGuy Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:04 am

Mort wrote:Speaking of gas/fuel why does the govt tax our fuel? How much does the city county state and feds tax us for our fuel?

And why we are taxed everywhere

What do we need another tea party?

www.api.org/aboutoilgas/gasoline/upload/State-Motor-Fuel-Tax-Rates.pdf+fuel+taxes%2Bindiana&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=13&gl=us" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:4bEA64G79HUJ:www.api.org/aboutoilgas/gasoline/upload/State-Motor-Fuel-Tax-Rates.pdf+fuel+taxes%2Bindiana&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=13&gl=us

http://www.artba.org/economics_research/current_issues/indiana-illinois_gas_tax_2001_.pdf

Well get ready for your taxes to go up even more if Obama or Hillary get in.
IrishGuy
IrishGuy
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male
Number of posts : 1511

Back to top Go down

Post  floridafun Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:11 pm

on the post about the drop in unemployment applications....they keep tabs only by who is getting the unemployment benefits. not the ones who used up their 6 months and are now at mcdonalds or taco hell or whatever. you can only apply/get benefits after you have earnings accumulated within a recent time frame. not like it used to be where they would go back years to get eligible money to count toward your compensation.

i was volunteering at the michelle thing, and was at the obama block party last saturday..they went quite well i thought.

want improvements? tired of the deviciveness and bullying and secrecy? VOTE OBAMA!!
floridafun
floridafun
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Female
Number of posts : 2519

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu May 01, 2008 10:30 am

The gas tax funds federal road/highway projects. So if it's not a gas tax, it'll be an income or other tax. So McCain and Hillary are basically trying to lower your gas prices so they can also lower the federal funds to improve roads. I Believe O'Bannon eliminated the state gas tax a while back for a short period, and it was a huge mistake. I suspect eliminating the federal suspension would have the same effect. It's a bad idea meant to get votes.

And for unemployment.. those people are working.. so they shouldn't get unemployment.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4