The Real Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

the july 1 health care town hall meeting

+3
Markwes
LTRT
floridafun
7 posters

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

the july 1 health care town hall meeting Empty the july 1 health care town hall meeting

Post  floridafun Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:53 pm

i was pleased with the meeting. here is a transcript because i cant find a vid of the whole event..

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/washington/2009/07/obama-health-care-townhall.html

it covers how he anticipates covering it financially, the issue of taxing health care, capping non-economic damages, capping itemized deductions...and the fear mongering ads that are everywhere suddenly about his trillion dollar government takeover of healthcare. something for everyone!
floridafun
floridafun
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Female
Number of posts : 2519

Back to top Go down

the july 1 health care town hall meeting Empty Re: the july 1 health care town hall meeting

Post  LTRT Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:21 pm

The health care changes that Obama called for Wednesday would reshape the nation's medical landscape. He says he wants to cover nearly 50 million uninsured Americans, to persuade doctors to stress quality over quantity of care, to squeeze billions of dollars from spending.

But details on exactly how to do those things were generally lacking in his hour-long town hall forum before a friendly, hand-picked audience in a Washington suburb. The lingering questions underscore the tough negotiations awaiting Congress, the administration and dozens of special interest groups in the coming months. Lawmakers will return to debating the issue when they return from a one-week recess on Monday.

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20090702/D995VHDG0.html
LTRT
LTRT
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3456

Back to top Go down

the july 1 health care town hall meeting Empty Re: the july 1 health care town hall meeting

Post  Markwes Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:59 pm

LTRT wrote:
The health care changes that Obama called for Wednesday would reshape the nation's medical landscape. He says he wants to cover nearly 50 million uninsured Americans, to persuade doctors to stress quality over quantity of care, to squeeze billions of dollars from spending.

But details on exactly how to do those things were generally lacking in his hour-long town hall forum before a friendly, hand-picked audience in a Washington suburb. The lingering questions underscore the tough negotiations awaiting Congress, the administration and dozens of special interest groups in the coming months. Lawmakers will return to debating the issue when they return from a one-week recess on Monday.

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20090702/D995VHDG0.html
And now, the rest of the story...

http://www.businessandmedia.org/articles/2009/20090623160905.aspx

The media claim that there are 40 million to 50 million uninsured Americans and use that statistic to bolster calls for universal government-run insurance coverage. The inaccuracy has been repeated by print and broadcast journalists for years, but the true extent of the uninsured “crisis” is much smaller than those reports let on.

Myth: There are between 40 million and 50 million uninsured Americans. President Obama referred to “46 million uninsured Americans” in May 2009.

Fact: Anyone who reports that there are more than 46 million uninsured is exaggerating since the Census Bureau puts the number of uninsured at 45,657,000 people.

Fact: Nearly 10 million (9.7) of the 45.7 million uninsured are “not a citizen.” That makes every media claim of uninsured Americans higher than 35.9 million is wrong.

Myth: The 40 million to 50 million uninsured cannot afford health insurance.

Fact: More than 17 million of the uninsured make at least $50,000 per year (the median household income of $50,233) – 8.4 million make $50,000 to $74,999 per year and 9.1 million make $75,000 or higher. Two economists working at the National Bureau of Economic Research concluded that 25 to 75 percent of those who do not purchase health insurance coverage “could afford to do so.”

Myth: The 40 million to 50 million uninsured do not get health care.

Fact: The National Center for Policy Analysis estimates that uninsured people get about $1,500 of free health care per year, or $6,000 per family of four.

Fact: An Urban Institute study found that 25 percent of the uninsured already qualify for government health insurance programs.

Myth: People will remain uninsured without government assistance.

Fact: The Congressional Budget Office says that 45 percent of the uninsured will be insured within four months. CBO Director Douglas Holtz-Eakin also said that the frequent claim of 40+ million Americans lacking insurance is an “incomplete and potentially misleading picture of the uninsured population.”

Fact: Liberal non-profit Kaiser Family Foundation put the number of uninsured Americans who do not qualify for government programs and make less than $50,000 a year between 8.2 million and 13.9 million. (The 8.2 million figure includes only those uninsured for two years or more.)

Fact: CBO analysis found that 36 million people would remain uninsured even if the Senate’s $1.6 trillion health care plan is passed.

How about that? Some of those who are uninsured just made a choice to be uninsured. And about 10 million of Obama's "46 million" are here illegally. And besides that, hospitals have to treat emergencies by law regardless of whether or not the individual can pay. So what exactly is the crisis?
Markwes
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male
Number of posts : 3096

Back to top Go down

Post  LTRT Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:11 pm

the july 1 health care town hall meeting 795451

What's the number of Canadians that come to the US for surgeries, treatments, medication, etc., etc, etc.
LTRT
LTRT
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:47 pm

I bet both of you would change your tune if you or one of your loved ones was one of the millions uninsured. I ALWAYS try to put myself in someone else's shoes when I shoot my mouth off ...
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Markwes Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:05 am

Bman wrote:I bet both of you would change your tune if you or one of your loved ones was one of the millions uninsured. I ALWAYS try to put myself in someone else's shoes when I shoot my mouth off ...
Bman, there's a definite pattern here. Obamco has done the same thing with his "fix" for the economy:
1. Appeal to your emotions.
2. Use skewed numbers that exaggerate the problem.
3. Talk, talk, talk. But don't really say anything.
It's all a scam to look like he is accomplishing something good. I do have a loved one who is uninsured. And I bet he would agree that this is all BS.
Markwes
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  LTRT Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:59 am

Bman wrote:I bet both of you would change your tune if you or one of your loved ones was one of the millions uninsured. I ALWAYS try to put myself in someone else's shoes when I shoot my mouth off ...

First off, all my loved ones are US citizens and secondly my sister is uninsured and she is not jumping up and down for Obamacare.
LTRT
LTRT
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:12 pm

LTRT wrote:

First off, all my loved ones are US citizens and secondly my sister is uninsured and she is not jumping up and down for Obamacare.

Oh ... so she would prefer to have NO insurance and have a broken leg or cancer ... yea, right. You are so full of bullshit it is unbelievable.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  LTRT Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:57 pm

Bman wrote:
LTRT wrote:

Oh ... so she would prefer to have NO insurance and have a broken leg or cancer ... yea, right. You are so full of bullshit it is unbelievable.

How's that Canadian plan working out?

As if you know the truth......
LTRT
LTRT
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  floridafun Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:03 am

i find factcheck.org is a pretty good source for sorting fact from fearmongering. AND.. they point out where a politician is misstating regardless of which party the pol is affiliated with. i find that more reliable than the amusingly anti-obama sites referenced above. went in and checked out both sites. everything on them is simply anti-obama, told me all i was wondering. this site gives extended comments on the claims made in the other sites.

http://www.factcheck.org/politics/the_real_uninsured.html
floridafun
floridafun
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Female

Back to top Go down

Post  floridafun Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:08 am

soooo what are the opinions on this? is it automatically no because its something obama wants, or does it seem to have some possibilities?

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601103&sid=aNIp7tE_btTk

The plan includes a government-run insurance program as an alternative to private coverage, and would cost about $400 billion less than an earlier proposal.

Kennedy, a Massachusetts Democrat, and Senator Chris Dodd, a Connecticut Democrat, said in a letter to members of the Senate Health, Education, Labor and Pensions Committee that the plan would cost $611.4 billion over 10 years, citing an analysis by the non-partisan Congressional Budget Office.

The CBO later released a preliminary analysis of the legislation pegging its net cost at about $600 billion. That’s down from an estimate of $1 trillion for a previous draft of the legislation.
floridafun
floridafun
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Female

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:52 pm

My opinion is anytime you put yourself in a situation where you rely on the government then you will be disappointed.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  floridafun Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:42 pm

Kroman wrote:My opinion is anytime you put yourself in a situation where you rely on the government then you will be disappointed.

so you havent nor do you plan to ever apply for medicare, medicaid, social security, vet benefits if applies, ss disability, national healthcare when it becomes fact..right?

that selling insurance to folks after you help them straighten out their credit problems must be paying off very nicely for you!
floridafun
floridafun
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Female

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:39 am

floridafun wrote:
Kroman wrote:My opinion is anytime you put yourself in a situation where you rely on the government then you will be disappointed.

so you havent nor do you plan to ever apply for medicare, medicaid, social security, vet benefits if applies, ss disability, national healthcare when it becomes fact..right?

that selling insurance to folks after you help them straighten out their credit problems must be paying off very nicely for you!

First, I don't sell insurance. If I did sell insurance the only life insurance I would push is term life and if you do the research you will find the commission paid on term life insurance is next to nothing. I believe other forms of permanent, or whole life, insurance are scams. Not sure what makes you think I sell insurance. At one time I did hook up with a friend of mine who knew I was interested in financial planning. However after a period of time it became obvious that the only way for me to earn a dime with him was to sell permanent insurance so I left his group.

Secondly, I help people today with budget planning and debt elimination, not reduction, plans. I don't get paid a dime for it. I do it because I enjoy it and consider it a ministry opportunity.

Next, if I had the option to opt out of social security I would do it in a heartbeat. As an independent contractor I believe I could invest that 13.8% of my income for the next 20 years and come out alot better then social security.

Finally, the key point you are missing is my plan to not "rely on the government". Of course I would use medicare if I were eligible but I'm not making any retirement plans that involve participation from the government. You can, but I'm not.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  floridafun Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:12 am

so in other words you will take what you can get but THATS DIFFERENT..no surprise there.

where i got the insurance thought was that when on the old board thats what you told me. silly me.
floridafun
floridafun
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Female

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:50 am

floridafun wrote:so in other words you will take what you can get but THATS DIFFERENT..no surprise there.

where i got the insurance thought was that when on the old board thats what you told me. silly me.

You can twist and turn my comments around to fit any opinion you want to form. If I was going to "Take what I can get" then I would be all for social security wouldn't I? It's pretty straight-forward: I am not relying on the government for anything. There is one exception. I would use the veteran's benefits if needed because I earned those benefits when I signed on the line willing to give my life to die for this country. I would use the veteran's benefits and I have already with a VA loan. Outside of that, I think people are fools if they want to rely on government to provide for their financial stability in retirement.

Last edited by Kroman on Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:53 am

floridafun wrote:

I don't sell it now, never have sold it, never made a dime from it.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Scooby01_98 Sat Jul 04, 2009 5:01 pm

floridafun wrote:soooo what are the opinions on this? is it automatically no because its something obama wants, or does it seem to have some possibilities?

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601103&sid=aNIp7tE_btTk

The plan includes a government-run insurance program as an alternative to private coverage, and would cost about $400 billion less than an earlier proposal.

Kennedy, a Massachusetts Democrat, and Senator Chris Dodd, a Connecticut Democrat, said in a letter to members of the Senate Health, Education, Labor and Pensions Committee that the plan would cost $611.4 billion over 10 years, citing an analysis by the non-partisan Congressional Budget Office.

The CBO later released a preliminary analysis of the legislation pegging its net cost at about $600 billion. That’s down from an estimate of $1 trillion for a previous draft of the legislation.

A national health care plan would have to have 4 things for me to go along with it. I don't care if it is a Dem or Rep or Independent that comes up with it.

1. It would have to have a payroll deduction like SS or medicare and deducted from all types of income ( payroll, welfare, unemployment ins etc.) Companies would pay if they didn't offer health insurance. Why this? So people can see how much it costs and everybody contributes that don't have healthcare. i.e. no freebies!!!

2. It would have to have a rebate up to the dollar amount you pay into the national health ins. to people that have their own health insurance (whether bought out right or through a company as a benefit). i.e. you pay in $1k to the national insurance, your insurance cost $5K you only get your $1K back.

3. It would have to have a co pay of at least $20 so people don't go at the first sneeze or hang nail. Percentage payment with a catastrophic cap.

4. Since Obama has already ruled out tort reform. The government has to come up with a affordable malpractice insurance for the doctors. Maybe once the government starts having to pay for frivolous lawsuits they will actually do something.

That's my comment with an alternative plan.
Scooby01_98
Scooby01_98
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Male
Number of posts : 1642

http://www.nola.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Markwes Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:49 am

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090729/ap_on_go_pr_wh/us_health_care_overhaul

For all his involvement over the past few weeks, Obama has suffered several setbacks. House and Senate lawmakers remain at a crossroads over a slew of issues, and public opinion polls show that confidence in Obama's approach to revamping health care has slipped since he took office. As cost estimates balloon, Republican critics have stepped up their attacks. More troublesome for Obama is that conservative and moderate Democrats have balked at the bills under consideration.
If Obamacare has to be sold to the public, it must not be popular. I commend the Democrats in Congress who are opposed to this.
Markwes
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:33 am

Markwes wrote:And now, the rest of the story...

You're an intelligent guy. How can you read this summary myth/fact and not do the simple math in your head quick enough to realize these numbers are skewed as well?

I think I got to line 12 and it took me about 1 minute.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Markwes Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:04 pm

meta4 wrote:
Markwes wrote:And now, the rest of the story...

You're an intelligent guy. How can you read this summary myth/fact and not do the simple math in your head quick enough to realize these numbers are skewed as well?

I think I got to line 12 and it took me about 1 minute.
Okay, if you don't like that website, google "46 million uninsured Americans" and pick a different one. Regardless of the actual numbers, you know that there is a certain percentage who:

a. are not U.S. citizens.
b. are young and opt out of their employer's insurance.
c. are rich and can afford not to have insurance.
d. have government aided Medicaid but answered no to the Census Bureau's question, assuming it didn't count.
e. qualify for Medicaid but either don't bother or aren't aware there is assistance available.

I'm not concerned about the numbers an organization such as BMI is claiming. I'm concerned about a statistic our president is claiming in order to sell a whatever trillion dollar package to the public.
Markwes
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:14 pm

What do these numbers have to do with REFORMING health care? Not many seem to understand reform is the core issue in the debate. However, every polarized pulpit address focuses on the FEAR over the MONEY that we THINK we MIGHT have to pay.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Markwes Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:59 pm

meta4 wrote:What do these numbers have to do with REFORMING health care? Not many seem to understand reform is the core issue in the debate. However, every polarized pulpit address focuses on the FEAR over the MONEY that we THINK we MIGHT have to pay.
I would think the first step in reforming anything is know the magnitude of the problem. 46 million versus some estimates of 8 to 10 million uninsured that really are in need of assistance changes the importance of any program right?
Markwes
Markwes
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  LTRT Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:53 pm

meta4 wrote:What do these numbers have to do with REFORMING health care? Not many seem to understand reform is the core issue in the debate.

Uh, seems to me, they have everything to do with it considering this is all we hear coming from the mouths of the administration and the moonbats who eat, sleep and dream about 'that one'.

meta4 wrote:However, every polarized pulpit address focuses on the FEAR over the MONEY that we THINK we MIGHT have to pay.

Now that's the most funny thing I've heard all day.
LTRT
LTRT
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  LTRT Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:08 pm

Poll: Obama loses ground on health care
NBC/WSJ survey also shows a drop in his overall job-approval rating

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32206998/ns/politics-white_house/

Pluralities now say that the president’s health care plan is a bad idea, and that it will result in the quality of their care getting worse. What’s more, just four in 10 approve of his handling on the issue.

The poll also finds that Obama's overall job-approval rating has dropped to 53 percent. And it shows a public that has grown increasingly concerned about the federal government's spending as the administration defends its $787 billion economic stimulus and supports a $1 trillion-plus health-care bill.

Whadda know, and this story didn't even come from FoxNews, oh well, you know what FF says about them goofy polls.
LTRT
LTRT
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next